doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: colin.kendall Ivory Beads and Gamefair - 01/30/12 05:37 PM
I have two questions regarding Ivory Beads and Gamefair. I read the other week that Ivory Beads out of southern California is or will be closing up. Is there any truth to this? They were listing a 21 trap gun for around $9500. Next, concerns Gamefair and that Model 21 that he has listed for $3495. It has 28" barrels and has a Simmons rib. I know I asked about this other month and a couple of 21s that Paul Crosnoe had for around $5500. Unfotunately, they are gone. The 21 that Gamefair is listing has an after fitted ventilated rib by Simmons. I know that will not do anything for the value, but I always thought that Simmons did good work. Any thoughts?
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Ivory Beads and Gamefair - 01/30/12 06:03 PM
I can help you with the first question, Ivory Beads is closing up shop.
Posted By: colin.kendall Re: Ivory Beads and Gamefair - 01/30/12 06:09 PM
Why? Is it because they are in California? They always had a nice web site and guns that one would be willing to hock the lower forty for.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Ivory Beads and Gamefair - 01/30/12 06:10 PM
I have an old 21 trap gun with a Simmons rib on it. The rib is anchored at the breech by solder and it came undone and slid forward an inch or two (from recoil). I had to have it resoldered and eventually I will have it reblued.

I have no way of knowing how many rounds have been through that gun before the rib came loose but I wouldn't be suprised if it was several hundred thousand.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Clif W. Re: Ivory Beads and Gamefair - 01/30/12 07:10 PM

While at the Beinfeld Show I overheard one of the Ivory Beads proprietors remarking, "getting too old for this". Running a shop and also running a show circuit is grueling and very tiring, but tiring in a good way I suspect. Much better than being a Walmart greeter. Good luck to them, they are another shop you can put your trust in
Posted By: Replacement Re: Ivory Beads and Gamefair - 01/30/12 08:03 PM
Jim at Ivory Beads has been making noises about retirement for three or four years. Looks like he meant it. I will miss those guys.
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Ivory Beads and Gamefair - 01/30/12 09:31 PM
From the Parker collectors site...

I wish to thank everyone that has been a friend of Ivory Beads, but my wifes health has made it impossible to continue with the business.
Jerry will not carry on the store without me, so April 1 will be our last day on premisis, actually closing for business March 15.
Jerry and I wish to thank all of our Parker friends, and as life members we may show up at some of the events.
We will be in Las Vegas for the Antique Arms Show, as well as S.C.I.
Once again thanks to all of you................................Jim Thynne
Posted By: eightbore Re: Ivory Beads and Gamefair - 01/30/12 10:32 PM
The Simmons 21 is probably not a bad buy at $3000, maybe even $3495, but it will not gain in collector value in the future. As a shooter, it should be wonderful. It is some good looking gun and apparently has the best vent rib, rather than the one installed over the old rib.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Ivory Beads and Gamefair - 02/02/12 10:40 PM
Originally Posted By: JDW
I can help you with the first question, Ivory Beads is closing up shop.

Jim and Gerry were old when they started this gig. They had a great run in a short time.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com