doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Krakow Kid Browning Damascus - 01/23/12 05:46 PM
I apologize in advance for raising this much discussed topic from the dead only to animate it once again. Here goes.

Buck Hamlin: My aging memory says that he was recommended for Black & White Damascus, but can anyone verify if he's adept at browning as well?

I guess my question is basically, who do you think is (are) the best to do this work?

Now the impossible question: Ballpark estimate?

I've been going back and forth with these barrels for nigh two years and I've settled on definitely wanting them re-browned.

Many Thanks - Marc
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: Browning Damascus - 01/23/12 05:59 PM
Browning goes for about $425 a gun. I found Kearcher's work to be mediocre. That isn't a slam, nor is it praise, his work just "Is".

I've seen a lot of Brit guns with spectacular Damascus refinishing and I've seen mostly mediocre guns redone in America. I do not know who does exquisite work but when you find out, let me know and send pictures!
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Browning Damascus - 01/23/12 06:05 PM
Basically the only difference between black and white and browning is that the barrels aren't boiled for browning, but both are still etched to bring out the pattern.
If Buck Hamlin can do the black and white, I don't see why he couldn't do the browning.

The hardest thing is doing either one is the prep.
Posted By: JimfromTrafalgar Re: Browning Damascus - 01/23/12 06:54 PM
Not true. For one, black is very easy to attain and can be helped along with things like logwood.With brown and white, however, the difference in the metals involved influences very heavily the rate at which they accept color and the techniques used to create contrast. I've had barrels come out beautifully with relatively little effort, and others that it seemed no matter what I tried, striking contrast would not come. I'd like to say I've learned a good bit through experience because I haven't had severe issues lately, but almost every set of barrels is different. That in mind, I'm certain I'll still have occaisional problems down the road.
I do agree with Rookhawk, I've seen some of Kearcher's work that I thought I could do better on. However, since I didn't work on that particular set, I'll never know for sure.
This is why many won't fool with brown and white finishes anymore, and I wonder at times why I do.
Luck,
Jim
Posted By: SKB Re: Browning Damascus - 01/23/12 07:13 PM
Funny, we no longer do black and white. We have no problems with brown and white. Different strokes for different folks.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Browning Damascus - 01/23/12 08:14 PM
Marc: you might talk to Sergey Lyalko in Natick
http://www.rustbluing.com/index.html

I've only seen 'browning' by Buck.

Other options at the bottom here
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfg2hmx7_192fcpp4khn
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Browning Damascus - 01/23/12 08:29 PM
Drew - It's 'browning' that I'm after! How would you rate Buck on his browning?

Have you seen Sergey's browning? He's in my state, so that's a plus.

I don't mean to set up a heartless battle of the bands. But please understand, if I'm going to roll the dice I want the best shot I can get (what a stupid thing to say, why WOULDN'T I or anyone else want the best?)

Thanks Again
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Browning Damascus - 01/23/12 09:15 PM
An example of Buck's browning; Smith Chain damascus

A picky Parker Philadelphia phella spoke highly of Segey, but he may only do 'black & white'. Craig Smith, and many others, do both quite nicely.
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Browning Damascus - 01/23/12 11:15 PM
Buck Hamlin has done several lovely browning jobs for me. His work is first class.

However, because his efforts are so highly regarded, he usually has a long backlog. I recently took a vintage SxS shotgun to him for a complete restoration, and he said it will be about a year until completion. In my opinion, his superb workmanship is well worth the wait.

Besides, I just happen to have a few other shotguns to use in the interim.

A barrel browning may not take that long.

JERRY
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Browning Damascus - 01/24/12 01:07 AM
Now I can't find his phone number! That's what happens when you put things off for almost 2 years. Especially in this house!

Anybody got Buck Hamlin's phone number handy?

I appreciate it if you can spare me a di...phone number
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Browning Damascus - 01/24/12 02:40 AM
I have seen Steve Bertrams work and it is first class..give him a call..................
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Browning Damascus - 01/24/12 11:57 AM

Buck Hamlin: 636-479-4304
Posted By: thomas carrier Re: Browning Damascus - 01/24/12 12:32 PM
i will 2nd or third whichever about buck hamlin.he has totally redone several lc `s for including a syracuse 10 damascus with browning the barrels.
Posted By: Sam Ogle Re: Browning Damascus - 01/24/12 01:39 PM
Second Hand Knowledge; but Buck does Browning. His reputation is the best. Two friends have used him, and they only use the best.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE
Posted By: Stallones Re: Browning Damascus - 01/24/12 06:39 PM
Jim is right about difficulty. I get black and whites easier here even without boiling and logwood. Brown is much harder and takes extra technique. AND every bbl is different.I think the low humidity here is a problem trying to get Browns and higher humidity promotes it. I finished a couple of practice bbls yesterday with TOny's solution.
These are both practice bbls from the same gun that I cut off. Both were used with the same browning solution,but the bottom one had a slightly different technique to get the stubborn brown color .
[img:left][/img]
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Browning Damascus - 01/24/12 07:18 PM
Thanks for Buck's number, Jerry, and a BIG thanks to all who pitched in their comments/view/opinions. I appreciate it - Marc
Posted By: builder Re: Browning Damascus - 01/24/12 11:34 PM
Really nice work, Leighton, especially the bottom one.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com