doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: granby Scale for weighing guns - 01/29/07 11:04 PM
I've got several guns the weight of which I can only guess at--"ball parking" would be a way to describe it. So, I've been thinking about getting a scale from, say, Staples. Anybody here have any suggestions as to makes, models, types, etc. I assume di8gital (as opposed to spring) would be the best for the sake of accuracy. Accuracy to 0.5 to 1.0 oz would probably suit my needs.

Would appreciate any thoughts you guys might have.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/29/07 11:09 PM
I use an old 10lb spring scale graduated in 1 once increments. It was given to me. But if I were to look today, I'd look at cooking stores for a 10lb electronic scale.

Also, you might consider an electronic fish scale which is very portable for gunshows and gunshop touring. The fishscale can be looped thru the triggerguard.
Posted By: terc Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/29/07 11:15 PM
granby, I use an old Triner postal scale.They are accurate to .5 oz.Mine only weighs objects up to 5 lbs. It requires weighing the barrels and forend seperatly from the action/stock. Alot of post offices are going digital and have these scales laying around.If you ask they may be cheap.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/29/07 11:36 PM
I also use one of those Triners, but mine only weighs to 4lbs. For heavier I have an old Fairbanks platform scale for weighing people. Perhaps an old doctors scale or even an accurate bathroom scale. It goes up to 300 lb but only ¼ lb increments. Also has a pull up scale for measuring height, so haven't tried it but could be used for measuring overall length of a gun as well. When they get heavier than the Triner will handle ¼ lb is close enough for me. Picked the Fairbanks up about 5 yrs ago at an auction for $5.00.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 12:02 AM
I have an old baby scale, purchased at a yard sale. It is a balance beam scale and quite accurate. Cost was only a couple of dollars, hard part is finding one. If you're already a yard sale fan, keep your eyes open.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 12:08 AM
ebay has lots of options.
Posted By: james-l Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 12:21 AM
After years of using an old spring scale I bought a digital scale on E-bay. footprint is about 8x8, operates on C batteries or a external P/S. It will weigh up to 75 lb, is convertible to metric or lbs and oz,very accurate. It will take a complete gun or package, and best of all about 35.00 including the rip off shipping. The users name on ebay is scalebargains.

Jim A.
Posted By: Sharpsrifle Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 12:22 AM
I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and purchased a digital food scale by Salter with a 7 1/2" stainless plate which runs on a single 9 volt battery. The scale weighs in pounds/ounces,ounces only, kilograms/grams, and grams only. It will easily take anything from a few grams to a 1 ounce choke tube to a full 10lb. sporting gun without problem...haven't tried anything heavier. If I need more, I'll just strip the gun and weigh the parts.
Posted By: Riprap Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 12:44 AM
Granby,

I have one that I bought at Staples that works great.

Riprap
Posted By: CptCurl Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 12:58 AM
I was lucky to find an electronic scale like what they use in a deli for weighing meats, etc. It goes to 30 lbs. and is very accurate.

Curl
Posted By: Two Triggers Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 01:22 AM
I use a digital fish scale, as Chuck suggests, and find it works great. TT
Posted By: Eric B Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 02:01 AM
I have a digital postal scale that's good up to 50lbs. and also a hanging infant scale from a hospital that has the basket replaced with a vinyl coated hook. Both work well and give the same results; one at the house and the other at the shop.
Posted By: BigSkyTaku Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 02:43 AM
I have one that is similar or the same as Sharpsrifle. It is a Salter kitchen scale that was about $25.00 - $30.00, but it does top out at 11 lbs. However, my wife paid for it, since it is "her" kitchen scale, but works fine for me. Can weigh a SxS whole or parts. Also, in lbs. or grams.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 04:18 AM
I'm sure the new digital scales are nice but if you want dead on accuracy time and time again and not have to wonder if it's calibrated, get an old fashioned balance beam. Baby scales would probably be the best.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 04:40 AM
I use a Pelouze postal scale that I bought at an office supply store. Zero to 10# in one oz increments, easy to interpolate to 1/2 oz. Adjustable and easy to check accuracy with a reference weight, no batteries to wear out, cheap. Gives me the same readings as the mega bucks digital scale at the high end gun shop.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 04:56 AM
Personally, I wouldn't get all worked up over calibration. We're usually trying to see how heavy a gun is. Measurment to the nearest ounce is all I can envision is required. I expect any digital scale could do that. But for those that 'gots to know', take a one gallon jug of water to the post office, UPS or FedEx store(they all have periodic calibration of their scales) and have them weigh it for you and mark the jug. Keep the sealed jug around for a "calibration weight".
Posted By: chopperlump Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 04:57 AM
Aren't we getting a little ridiculous? I'm 70 and hobble about somewhat shooting pen raised birds but I'm damned if a couple of ounces one way or another makes it easier to hobble. What's next? Weighing the birds we shoot and have to carry? Then, what obout the weight of our shells? Our boots, our socks? Enuff already! Chops
Posted By: Dick_dup1 Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 03:51 PM
I settled all the 'I think it weighs' problems a number of years ago with the purchase of an Ohaus CS5000 and 2 kg cal weight. the Ohaus is light (mostly plastic), small, so you can take it anywhere (gunshows and gun dealers) and with the cal weight, you know you are dead on. The 5000, stands for 5000 grams or 5 kg. Purchased on the net for about $75, the cal weight was almost as much. But if you are concerned about weight, it is a low cost addition to your gun tools.
http://www.itinscales.com/ocs.htm -Dick
Posted By: paul buchanan Re: Scale for weighing guns - 01/30/07 04:23 PM
Put the gun in a hard case, take it to a branch postoffice after hours. Weight the gun and case together. Go back to your car, take the gun out of the case. Leave the gun in the car. Take the empty case back into the post office and weigh the empty case. Subtract the last weight from the first weight, result is the weight of the gun
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com