doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: peters W.E. BROWNELL - 01/27/07 03:23 AM
Can someone please tell me were I can buy W.E. BROWNELLS open checkering handles other than from Browenell they are out of stock. Or how I can get in touch with W.E. BROWNELL out of California as always any help is greately appreciated.
Pete
Posted By: PeteM Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 01/27/07 05:21 AM
You can try on eBay. There are often checkering tools available there.

Pete
Posted By: David Williamson Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 01/27/07 12:15 PM
I ordered a few from Midway. I think the handles and the cutters come from Ca. They had straight, and off-set (see-tru), I tried the see-tru, just got them. The only problem I have is that the roll pin the give you won't fit in the hole. Both are 1/16" but the roll pin bends tapping it in. Some of the other cutters I ordered came with small brads, used them and cut them off, and just peened it over.
Posted By: Toby R. Leeds Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 01/27/07 03:11 PM
W.E. Brownell Checkering Tools
9390 Twin Mountain Circle
San Diego, CA 92126
858-695-2479
Posted By: peters Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 01/28/07 02:26 AM
Gentleman
Thank you so much for the information. JWD I can't seem to find them at the Midway site can you tell me what to look under I tried checkering tools.
Pete
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/20/17 05:57 PM
If you do open it, have the barrels marked so the next person to buy it knows what he is getting. Sucks to buy a M/F and find out it's Sk1/Sk2
Posted By: Craig Libhart Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/20/17 06:06 PM
If you have no luck with W.E.Brownell (kind of hit-or-miss) Steve Earle in MA is making these also. He has checkering spacers as well. steveearleproducts.com

Craig Libhart
Posted By: GGress Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/20/17 06:06 PM
http://www.steveearleproducts.com/assorted%20things.htm cutters too.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/20/17 06:15 PM
Steve Earle? The musician/singer? shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvaEJzoaYZk

Prolly not.

SRH
Posted By: mark Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/20/17 07:33 PM
The quality of Steve Earle's product is far superior !
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/20/17 09:55 PM
Originally Posted By: mark
The quality of Steve Earle's product is far superior !

I agree with Mark on this. I kind'a sort'a talked Steve into making these products and they are far superior to the California stuff. Steve is also starting to make three line cutter because of demand.

Pardon me but I'm into my diatribe mode now. I've read negative comments about the price of Steve's cutter prices which are about three times the price of the California stuff. You have a couple of option here: You can sharpen the existing tip with stone or files. you can make your own (lots of luck on that venture), or you can buy tips that may on not be the spacing that you ask for, or the teeth on the new tips are broken, or they have been cut at an angle (don't ask). I plan on getting 1 1/2 jobs from a checkering spacer then I throw it away, I amortize the cost of the cutter into the job, what a novel idea! Sorry if I have tweaked some noses here but "frankly my dear * **** **** * ****)
Posted By: mark Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/20/17 11:50 PM
S.E. cutters are cheaper in the long run, you can reliably get them and they are marked with angle or spacing( What a concept).

It takes a lot to dull one but I'm cheap so I sharpen them if need be. Difference is you don't have sharpen and remove burrs before you use them.

The handles are better built and come with allen screws and a wrench.

Now if I can just find a way to keep my Daughter from steeling them!!
Posted By: KY Jon Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/21/17 01:28 AM
The last WEBrownell tips I bought were not very good. Half were ground wrong and I just threw them out. The rest were usable, after a fashion, but did all need touching up to use them. If you want cheap don't bother with them but if you want quality be willing to pay for it. If a tool cost you 25 each but does the job don't complain that you can get others for 5 each. Once you buy the cheaper stuff and see the quality you wont be back.

I agree expensive tools cost more only in the short term. Over a job or two is a fair way to think about it. Or think about what problems cheap tools can cause. Then consider how much time it takes to fix those problems. I'd rather buy the best I can afford so the job is easy and the only surprise is how fast the job goes. Or better yet I'll just send it out and pay others to worry about it.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/21/17 05:03 AM
"Or better yet I'll just send it out and pay others to worry about it."
Relying on professional crafts people is always a good investment.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/21/17 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: BrentD
If you do open it, have the barrels marked so the next person to buy it knows what he is getting. Sucks to buy a M/F and find out it's Sk1/Sk2

Brent, I think you're on the wrong thread. These guys are talking about cutting checkering, not chokes.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/21/17 02:35 PM
Amen SDH_MT. Amen.
Posted By: builder Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/21/17 10:25 PM
Is Dem-Bart still in business and how does their stuff compare to the Steve Earl style? They surely look different.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: W.E. BROWNELL - 12/22/17 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: BrentD

Brent, I think you're on the wrong thread. These guys are talking about cutting checkering, not chokes.

How did that happen? You are absolutely right. Fro some reason, this old Brownells checkering thread always opens when I come to doublegun
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com