doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bouvier Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/10/11 03:55 AM
Looking for recommendations for web sites where I might find a good used DR's for sale. I am in the market for something to use for White Tail in heavy cover and piggies, should the opportunity arise.

Thanks
Al
Posted By: Ben Thayer Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/10/11 10:46 AM
Keep an eye on the classifieds at Accuratereloading.com
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/10/11 11:01 AM
Al,

Check your private messages.

Stan Hillis
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/11/11 01:27 PM
If you have not done so already I would read Shooting the British Double Rifle by Graeme Wright first. After I got done with the book I would never consider owning one. You might reach different conclusion I do not know.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/11/11 03:17 PM
Tried to copy and paste but it wouldn't work; the Sabatti double rifles from Cabelas are a screaming good deal @ $2999 for the basic extractor gun. Available in 9.3x74R(my choice)or .45-70, they can be viewed beginning on page 14 under the "Fine Rifles" category at Cabela's Gun Library page. If these guns shoot as advertised, I would look no further.
JR
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/11/11 03:40 PM
Caution on the Sabatti's!!!

Google up "Sabatti regulation problems" It seems there has been a lot of controversy surrounding the final regulation of a number of these. Rather than reheat the soft solder and regulate correctly, it was standard practice for the factory to take a dremel to the last quarter inch or so of rifling in an attempt to re-regulate them cheaply. Cabelas is getting a lot of these returned. If you want one bad enough you need to go in person and check carefully so you do not get one with the telltale butchers marks on end of the bore.

I looked at a used one in 45-70 and the right barrel was oval at the end. If I could have gotten a return period which allowed me to shoot it I might have overlooked the cosmetics if it was regulated to my satisfaction but the seller would not allow the shop to offer a return. That in its' self scared me away.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/11/11 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Bouvier
Looking for recommendations for web sites where I might find a good used DR's for sale. I am in the market for something to use for White Tail in heavy cover and piggies, should the opportunity arise.

Thanks
Al

If I was inclined to play with one I would look into MP-221 'Artemida' in .45-70 or 9,3x54R. Being inexpensive it will be easier to move especially in .45-70 if you decide it's not for you. If you pay many thousands for German or French one you're likely to take sobering ice bath at re-sale time. eek
Posted By: PM Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/11/11 04:47 PM
There are a lot of online dealers. Champlins, Lewis Drake, Griffin and Howe, Gunsinternational,Gunsamerica.....
Older English BPE's are alot of fun. I would stay away from the Sabbattis. Ignore the naysayers. Once you have one double rifle it won't be long before you have two or three.
Posted By: jeweler Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/12/11 03:31 AM
I have a german 9.3 X 74r. Let me know if you are intrested Price $4000. double trigger
Monty
662 378 6169XXX Cell
Posted By: Bouvier Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/12/11 04:36 AM
Monty et al ..... I think 9.3x74r is too much gun for eastern White Tail ..... but thanks anyway

Al
Posted By: David Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/12/11 05:47 AM
Would it kill them too dead? Joking aside, the 9.3x74R is a very versatile cartridge. I would not rule it out immediately. You'll definitely want a rimmed cartridge. Most modern double rifles that are inexpensive will be chambered in either 9.3x74R or .45-70. If you wanted a strictly deer sized, thin-skinned game rifle, you might be looking for something like .303, but that will pretty much limit your choices to older British rifles.
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/12/11 08:26 AM
My favourite DR is 8x57IR (a prewar Merkel o/u) and I find it just about perfect for deer, also pigs. Current 8x57IRS is even better - if nothing else the bullet sellection is quite diverse - and here on the Old Continent it's as popular as the 9.3x74R. The later might be better for that big boar but reaction time for the second shot is longer.
With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: Bob Jurewicz Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/12/11 10:25 AM
Bouvier,
Don't eliminate the 9.3x74r! I had a Merkel 140 in that caliber and used it on deer and pigs in Texas with great success and pleasure. I used both full factory and reduced handloads and found it very effective and lot of fun.
Bob Jurewicz
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/12/11 05:31 PM
Something like .30-30 or .30-40 Kraig would be best but probably found only in pre=WWII vintage stuff.......7x57R, 8x57JRS also would make fine whitetail med in close cover. I would pass on 9,3x74R why put up with more recoil then one has to? I would rather put money into engraved self-loading BAR in .308 or something similar better value IMO.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/12/11 06:01 PM
Don't know your budget, but this sounds nice:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Chapuis-UGEX-Double-RIfle-7X65R-Immaculate-.cfm?gun_id=100206143
JR
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Looking for a Dbl rifle - 10/12/11 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts

It is nice great caliber like .270 or .280 correct weight, good mount and scope with excellent parameters unless one hunts under poor light conditions. The grouping of shots appears realistic w/o usual cloverleaf 150m BS. Yes, I would make him fair offer if
I was in market for solid double rifle in caliber that can be used for just about all North American game.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com