doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ROMAC SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6HG Question - 10/05/11 01:54 PM
I have a chance to buy one at a decent price. It is a fully engraved 3 1/2 inch 10 gauge SXS that looks like it was never hunted. However the wood is extremely dry as if it spent its' life in close proximity to a source of dry heat. I've read that these were made by Victor Sarasqueta for Stoeger in the 50's or 60's. Sidelock in appearance, although I do not know if they are truly a sidelock or just false sideplates. The engraving is not top shelf by any means but appears hand done.

Anyway, I had a Pride of Spain 10 gauge that I used primarity to test experimental loads that I was developing for my W&C Scott SXS Hammergun from the 1870's. I just wanted to reduce the wear and tear on the Scott while I was perfecting my handrolling and load formulations (I was using Sherman Bells list of light loads). I liked the ergonomics of the gun enough but hated the quality. It had issues with the lifters and difficulty opening after a few shots warmed it up that I attributed to "Soft Spanish Steel". I sent it down the road after a while.

So, is the Stoeger Zephyr any better made? Or can I expect the the high probability that I would have the same frustration that I had with the Pride of Spain? Should I just wait for a Beretta Silver Hawk to come along if I have to have a SXS?

Any opinion on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
I think that you have a Victor Sarasqueta, imported by Stoeger in the 50's. There should be a diamond with a running hare stamped on the water tables. If so, you have a true sidelock and a hell of a good gun. My 20 bore was made in the 50's and I have not had a single issue with it other than broken firing pins which are easily made of tool steel rods of the correct diameter and an electric drill. Good find. Chops
Posted By: ROMAC Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6HG Question - 10/05/11 03:18 PM
This one has Bushed Firing Pins or what I think the Brits call Disc Set Strikers. Also no recoil pad or buttplate, the stockend is checkered wood.

If I should decide to get it what is the best way to rejuvinate the wood without a total refinish?
That gun shows up in my 1961 Shooter's Bible. $228 without ejectors, $298 with AE. Compare that to $280 for a Sauer Royal, or $300 for a Bernardelli Roma 6E in the same catalog.
If I were to find that gun in high condition, I would buy it in a minute. They are hard to find and a great waterfowl gun. I lust after a single barrel Zephyr Honker, but it has been a while since I saw one for sale.
I've got my Dad's, he got it in the late 50's. It is a 6HD, Stoeger NY Zephyr on the rib as well and has a bunch of ducks, etc engraved on the sideplates. It always has been and remains my favorite gun. It is a 12 ga 3 inch with 30 inch barrels, Full and Fuller, and throws some outstanding patterns. That big ol gun is like a magic wand,truly long range death from the duck blind. I have never shot a gun that swings so well, and you would not believe the patterns with buckshot and accuracy with slugs (yah I know full chokes aren't supposed to workwell for such loads but this one damn well does). Enjoy. A great quality gun(except maybe the engraving) for small money.
Rick
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6GH Question - 10/05/11 11:46 PM
You guys helped me pronouncing Sarriugarte on my Spanish double thread, now can someone help me pronounce Sarasqueta? smile
Sara (like Palin) skeeta
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6GH Question - 10/06/11 12:07 AM
Thanks Chief. Someday I might be able to help you pronounce some German words. grin
Posted By: ROMAC Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6GH Question - 10/06/11 01:01 AM
I decided to get it. I hope it functions without any glitches. Here are a few pictures. Before I saw this one, I'd never seen one before.

I guess the 6HD on mine must mean heavy duck. The only difference from yours is the engraving on mine is very similar, except it is a bunch of ducks instead of geese.
Rick
Posted By: ROMAC Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6GH Question - 10/06/11 02:24 PM
I do have a good supply of Bismuth 10 gauge loads so this might get used for geese some, I also hope to use it for deer locally. I live near 1,700 acres of public land that allows one day of hunting, buckshot only each year. Admission is by lottery and I get in every other year or so on average.
Thats a really neat gun with aweful engraving. I wish I had it, It should make a great fowler.
Posted By: 2holer Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6GH Question - 10/07/11 03:09 AM
Good gun. Appears to have been made in 1955 (B1) and chopper lump barrels.
Looks like is has had very little use. Very nice.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6GH Question - 10/08/11 01:27 AM
I'm happy with it so far. One big plus has been finding out my supply of Alcan all brass 10 gauge 2 7/8 inch loads fit much better in this than they did in the POS.

Posted By: skeettx Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6GH Question - 10/08/11 01:43 AM
I REALLY like the Alcan all brass 10 gauge hulls
They load well and are great performers

How are you set for *57 size primers?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=254253073

Mike
Posted By: ROMAC Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6GH Question - 10/08/11 02:44 AM
I've got about 2900 left myself. thanks for the heads up though.

As far as the brass goes I've got 30 that I reload and two boxes of 10 each still new.
Posted By: skeettx Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6GH Question - 10/08/11 10:57 PM
Great
I have some number over 100 of the 10 gauge Alcan hulls
I sure do like them.
I made a sizer for the hulls in case they get sticky
Mike
Posted By: ROMAC Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6GH Question - 10/08/11 11:19 PM
I've got a few that need to be resized. When I bought my brass about 10 were prefired and they were very tight in my Scott. The Stoeger could accept about 1/2 of them without much problem. I'd love to get my hands on one of those sizers though. They sound like just what the doctor orderd.
Posted By: skeettx Re: SXS Stoeger 10 Gauge Zephyr 6GH Question - 10/09/11 12:15 AM
You can make one a few ways.

You can use a pin from a diesel engine and turn it to size
or
You can use a part of a Texan loader and take the 12 gauge sizing
ring and turn it to proper diameter and the re-screw it into the sizing chamber.
OR
you can also have a rod of steel bored out to proper diameter with a hole all the way through

Then I use RCBS resizing lube on the hull and the ring and take the hull and place it in the sizing head, and using a vice (6") move it into the sizing head. Insure your spacing (length of your die) is great enough that you do not crush the mouth of the hull with the vice or in the tube. Then with an aluminum rod with a hole in the end so as NOT to mess up the inside base of the hull, drive the hull out of the head.

OH, yes, I also use a MEC 10 gauge SuperSizer as best that I can on the hull first.

I bored and polished the Texan sizing ring out to from .845 at the tightest to .858 at the bottom to
allow the hull to start into the die.

SAAMI specs for 10 gauge are .850 max at the head.

Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com