doublegunshop.com - home
Hi All:

A friend of mine has been assembling black powder rifles and pistols in his basement for many years. He told me in 1982 that he had made 500 by then. He buys the metal parts makes stocks for them then sells them.

Does he need any type of license or permits to do this? Is this legal.

I have been restocking guns for many years and have never given it a though but to assemble guns from parts for resale purposes may be another matter.

Any information concerning this matter will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Franchi
I'm not sure about the blackpowder stuff. I thought they were totally exempt from FFL requirements.

But, if you're doing stocks for paying customers, technically, it's a gunsmithing activity and has FFL requirements.
Well, yes and no. He’ll need a sales tax license number in order to sell it to someone in Pennsylvania. And no he doesn’t need an FFL to sell a Flinter (a good ole Pennsylvania long rifle, incorrectly referred to as the Kentucky rifle by that heathen scum) to someone in Pennsylvania. If its one of those low-down, stickin, lousy, snake-in-the-grass zip guns of which I will not acknowledge as a true muzzleloader, then yes he’ll need an FFL.

Words well spoken, treblig! I'm on your side 100%
That's music to my ears to hear of another purist out there in the muzzleloading world. I salute you sir, Mr. Krakow Kid!!! smile
Treblig1958
Here's pictures of my great grandads .58 caliber 1863 Springfield musket, complete with some minie balls for it. I'm hoping I can use it to shoot a feral pig this fall or winter.

I've been told he ran away from home when he was 16 and joined the Union Army.
Steve
Steve, I think that is the most beautiful rifle I ever saw!!! smile
And what a history!!

Good luck with hunting those hogs!! I hear you guys in Texas are being infested with them.
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Treblig1958
Here's pictures of my great grandads .58 caliber 1863 Springfield musket, complete with some minie balls for it. I'm hoping I can use it to shoot a feral pig this fall or winter.

Steve

I inherited my Dad's 1863 Springfield. It's a 12 guage shotgun. I used to shoot sparrows and other vermin when I was a kid with the thing.
Rockdoc:
IMO: Best to get that crack behind the lockplate attended to before hunting with this musket.
Jim
It does look like a crack, but I think it is really dark wood grain and uneven lighting rather than a real crack.
Jim
That mark behind the lockplate is a stain. I carefully examined it under a magnifying glass and there is no crack there. If you were to look directly at the stain you'd see that it doesn't quite follow the grain of the wood.
Thank you for your concern though.
Steve
Franchi,
Try here, these guys build these masterpieces for a living. smile

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pde5k9a31klfejt19mht5gu3t4&board=4.0

If you don't want to join that board to ask that question get back to me and I'll post it there for you and your friend.
If he is doing that and reselling them, which he must be doing since he has done that many, I hope he has liability insurance. If he has no assets or not much, he is maybe ok. He he has any net worth, he is in danger. His home owners insurance will not cover this.

John Boyd
I called the NRA legal department and they said there is NO need to have a FFL to work on guns. I seem to have a lot of shotguns coming to me so I was concerned. They also said "You must have a FFL to recieve a gun to work on from out of state." So don't ship or recieve work out of state and you are good. There was no charge from the NRA legal staff and I believe that they are on top of gun law so check with them.

Bill
There is a federal excise tax on the first sale of a muzzle loader. Check this out.
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Treblig1958

Steve

If he'd joined the CSA army, his gun would be worth a lot more! wink
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com