doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dubbletrubble Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/22/07 03:01 PM
Where did I see this, I did a search and got nothing.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/22/07 04:35 PM
Probably from me. I think I started the tradition....

Works well enough. When you seal the ends with caps and calk, add two short sheet metal screws. I, at least, have found that boiling water can soften the calk and it will let go of the ends. Might be that I didn't let the caulk cure well enough, but that did the trick anyway.

Brent
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/22/07 05:47 PM
Just got back from Loews, they are my project today. I am using high temp silicon to seal the ends along with small screws. Wish me luck.

thanks!
Posted By: Thurston Howell III Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/22/07 07:03 PM
I first saw this technique in a video on how Hershel House builds his muzzleloaders. Think it was filmed in the early 90s.
Will try to find it and check the title.

Pete
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/22/07 07:14 PM
dt,
Put a piece of thick wire on the bottom of the tank - or something small and metalic to lift the barrel off the bottom.

Some don't think this is necessary but it makes me feel better and can't hurt.

Brent
Posted By: John Mann Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/22/07 08:39 PM
One word of caution.
Some steel gutters may be zinc plated. When zinc is heated it can give off fumes (as opposed to vapors). This is very, very bad to inhale. Causes what is called "metal fume fever".
Simply insure that the steel is NOT zinc plated and you are OK.
Best,
John
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/22/07 09:58 PM

Watch out for those plastic gutters.
Posted By: doublegunhq Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/23/07 02:36 AM
they are either aluminum or galvanized. if galvanized is out, have to use aluminum. those are usually coated. so what to do?

(BTW I think you have to get zinc REALLY hot to start vaporizing/fuming whatever. In a boiling tank, I doubt the metal ever gets much hotter than 250F.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/23/07 04:14 AM
Well, I've used aluminum many times w/o trouble. And you are right, the metal will not get much hotter than boiling water.

Brent
Posted By: John Mann Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/23/07 04:32 AM
Well fellows:
The best scenario is that care will be used. A word of caution is not amiss to those that will blunder into making a mistake due to ignorance. To set the record straight is incumbent on those that KNOW better
Of course, some think that the results of allowing a fellow to make his own mistakes is knowledge painfully earned.
Perhaps their fathers never told them the consequences of actions that were not preceded with prior understanding of "what if".
Best,
John
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/23/07 11:41 AM
Well fellas they are done and are not galvanized. However what will become of the painted exterior? Not that I am concerned, just curious. By the way I have stated before that I used a 4" piece of thick walled PVC capped at the ends and sawn in half as tubs to pour boiling water into them. This worked well for a half dozen barrels but did not stand the test of time. The heat caused the unsupported middle of the tube to bow out and caused uneven coverage. At the time it looked good but in the end a failed experiment.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/23/07 12:46 PM
The paint on mine is covered with soot now. Not sure if any of it burned off, but most of it is still there where one can see through the soot.

Brent
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/23/07 01:26 PM
I am boiling a pair now as I type. I did notice that there is a clear coating inside them that is starting to boil off.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/23/07 01:32 PM
Interesting. Didn't happen with mine.

Brent
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/23/07 02:21 PM
Yeah, like a clear coat. Not all areas just where the heat is most concentrated. It didn't seem to do any harm. The barrels are lookin' good.
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/24/07 03:09 AM
These things are the set up!

Can I get a star now? I feel left out.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/24/07 03:55 AM
Looks like just the ticket and now you have 5 stars - beatin' me...
Brent
Posted By: Barry Lee Hands Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/24/07 07:10 AM
Looks like a crossed chisels setup, be sure the parakeets have some fresh air if any are about, hehe...
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/24/07 12:39 PM
Thanks for the stars! I feel like one of the gang now. No "Keets" here. Just Airedales.

Stars back at ya!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/24/07 04:12 PM
Hey even I got another one !

Someone must be feeling generous. I would have thought I might have accrued a triple digit deficit of stars - black holes if you will....

Brent
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/24/07 06:30 PM
I put you in for 5 but you only got 3.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Boiling tanks from gutters? - 01/24/07 07:09 PM
Thanks guy. Maybe some day....
Brent
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com