doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bill G. Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/24/11 01:31 AM
About 4 or 5 years ago I bought a 12-ga. damascus barreled Lefever EE grade from Bryan Burgin a gunsmith in NY. The gun was in very good condition but it had a couple of issues. The original chain damascus barrels were only 25" long and the LOP was only 12 1/2". After finding a set of 28" damascus barrels (from a board member) that were beautifully refinished in black & white by Dale Edmunds I decided that I would restore the gun. I gave the gun back to Bryan and he fitted the new barrels, polished the receiver and had it re-case colored, and then he added a wood extension and refinished the stock. The gun turned out great. Brian did a great job adding the extension. It fit great, stayed tight for 5 years now. I just wished that the extension looked like the original wood which was beautiful. Then I looked at Mark Larson's website and I could not help but think that this was the answer to my extension issue. But I was not sure that Mark would be able to match the wood especially since the extension and the original were very different in color. I just got it back from Mark today and I am absolutely thrilled at how well it turned out. I know where the line is and what it looked like when I sent it to him and I just can't tell that it is not the original wood. If any of you are considering using Mark for this type of work you will not be disappointed. His work is better than I had hoped for. He is a true artist. Please excuse the feeble pictures, I am not Chuck H.

WOW!
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/24/11 02:03 AM
Yes, I have visited Mark's website and I agree that his work looks increadable! But you now know first hand.
Outstanding!!!!!!!!
That's it, I'm sending him my Uggie sidelock. Hope he's got lots of oil paint!...Geo
Posted By: gjw Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/24/11 05:22 AM
Hi all, my turn. I can't say enough in praise of Marks talents. He has done 3 stock enhancements and 3 stock refinish jobs. Each of them have been outstanding. His enhancements are so good, you can't tell if the grain is natural or not. I have a couple guns with nice sticks of wood, put besides Marks work, you can't tell which is which.

His stock refinish jobs are just as good.

The great thing about Mark is, he's great to deal with, top notch a great guy all around.

I highly recommend Mark to anyone who has a plain Jane stock they want to dress up or a job like Bill G. had done.

All the best!

Greg
Incredible work, credit to the craftsman.
Posted By: dollysods Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/24/11 08:55 AM

Here's a before and after pic of my Husky Model 51 16 ga. I had Mark remove the pow grip that was too small for my hand. I'm very happy with the results.

Rick

Allegheny Mountain Wanderings
Could someone provide a link for Mark?
Thank you!
Bob Jurewicz
Posted By: Bill G. Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/24/11 10:22 AM
http://www.marklarsongunart.com/#!
Mark is the master of these skills, i.e. the very best out there. He has matched and blended the grain/figure on three stock extensions for me and refinished another stock. I can't say enough about his amazing work.
Posted By: BPFischer Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/24/11 01:16 PM
Simply amazing and incredible work... I'm in awe!
Posted By: pod Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/24/11 02:35 PM
very impressive
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/24/11 09:18 PM
Here's my two cents worth. He fixed this stock for me so that I could keep this stock all original to the gun. LeFever C grade ca.1885.

As you may have guessed, it was broken in two at the wrist.

thanks.
Posted By: battle Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/25/11 02:21 AM
Mark is the BEST!
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/25/11 02:32 AM
No doubt about it. Isn't it especially wonderful in today's world when you discover someone who actually takes his vocation so seriously he willingly excells at it to the nth degree?
Posted By: Buzz Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/25/11 09:57 PM
You guys have convinced me. I signed up to have a 20 b English boxlock I own with an ext done as soon as hunting season is over. How in the world can he blend it in where there is no visible line between the ext and stock. I'm having a stock made for a sidelock but if Mark is that good and can hide the line maybe I will just go with an extension on that one too??
Posted By: Bill G. Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/26/11 12:38 AM
Buzz,

I'll never hesitate to do a stock extension. When I got the gun back I just could not believe it turned out this good. You'll want to measure the stock to make sure he didn't just cut the extension off and send it back. This has totally completed a restoration for me and without spending 3K for a new stock.

Bill G.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Mark Larson Gun Stock Art Is Amazing - 08/26/11 03:11 AM
Bill g. Sounds like what I'm lookinf for. Almost too good to be true....you know what I mean. I'm conviced Mark is a pro.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com