doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: teloc Gamebore shotshell pressures - 07/28/11 04:12 AM
Can anyone tell me what pressure range the Gamebore 2&1/2 inch
shells have? I usualy shoot RST, but when not available I need to know if the 16 ga. Gamebore are low pessure enough that I can feel comfortable shooting them in mt 1918 Fox. I've tried to find info on the Gamebore Shotshell co. but have had no luck. Thanks in advance. Larry
Posted By: vh20 Re: Gamebore shotshell pressures - 07/28/11 06:17 AM
Give them a call. They don't publish their pressures anywhere that I've ever seen, but when I called them (Kent, actually) they gave me the pressure over the phone for any load that I was interested in.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Gamebore shotshell pressures - 07/28/11 10:58 AM
Gamebore shells follow CIP proof standards. For the 12 and 16ga, that would be a max service pressure of about 10,700 psi, compared to our American SAAMI service pressure max of 11,500 psi. Service pressure increased about 500-1,000 psi when American gun and ammo makers switched from the older, short shells to the 2 3/4" standard for 12-16-20, in the 1920's. So CIP loads in short hulls should be very similar to the loads for which your Fox was built to handle. The only issue with the Gamebores is that they're field loads, not target loads. You can reduce pressure (and recoil) significantly by reloading. But for hunting, I've used the Gamebores in a number of short-chambered Brit and European 16's, and they're a good choice.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Gamebore shotshell pressures - 07/28/11 10:59 AM
Gamebore shells follow CIP proof standards. For the 12 and 16ga, that would be a max service pressure of about 10,700 psi, compared to our American SAAMI service pressure max of 11,500 psi. Service pressure increased about 500-1,000 psi when American gun and ammo makers switched from the older, short shells to the 2 3/4" standard for 12-16-20, in the 1920's and 30's. So CIP loads in short hulls should be very similar to the loads which your Fox was built to handle. The only issue with the Gamebores is that they're field loads, not target loads. You can reduce pressure (and recoil) significantly by reloading. But for hunting, I've used the Gamebores in a number of short-chambered Brit and European 16's, and they're a good choice.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com