doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gil russell Nobel 209 primers vs. Chedites, Wins - 07/18/11 10:41 PM
I am just wondering if the Nobel primers would substitute without issue for Chedites and Winchesters, in low pressure and mid pressure loads. I have also used Wolfe primers; they are fine. thank you!
Gil, from what I have read, so long as the loads are low pressure low velocity, under 7,000 psi. Cheddite, Noble, CCI 209,Win 209 and Rem 209 primers will not bring the loads above SAMMI specs. (I think it is SAMMI)

I read this more than once over on Shotgun World under reloading. Post the question over there, as there are a few that seem to know quite a lot about the different loads. (not that someone here won't know that also)

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Nobel 209 primers vs. Chedites, Wins - 07/19/11 12:47 AM
Nobels not measured specifically, but interesting data on primer substitution:

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm
I understand that Noble Sport was WW's source for primers in Europe. WW specs required the duplication of their 209 primer.
Thus, I believe that it was and is a duplicate of the WW209.

bill
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Nobel 209 primers vs. Chedites, Wins - 07/19/11 01:25 AM
Nobel claims their 209 shotshell primers are "the equivalent" of the Winchester 209. Reportedly, one can use the same reloading data....and I do.

I've reloaded about 10,000 (12 gauge) shotshells with the Nobel's, and they work fine. I don't notice any difference from the Winchesters, except they are less costly. I usually don't reload to maximum pressure for skeet and sporting clays.

JERRY
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Nobel 209 primers vs. Chedites, Wins - 07/19/11 10:29 AM
I think they're slightly "milder" than Win 209's. If you're already low pressure and a primer substitution is the only change you make, chances are it won't get you into trouble. May change velocity a fair amount, if you go from a primer on the milder end of the scale to one on the hotter end.

Anyone have any problem with the NS primers enlarging the primer pocket slightly?
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Nobel 209 primers vs. Chedites, Wins - 07/19/11 12:38 PM
"If" you are obtaining "Low Pressure" by using a slow powder in light loads you "Don't Want" a Mild Primer, Period.

You need a Hot primer to insure positive ignition.
Note that Grafs has WW209 now for $131.

+ CCI 500's for $115 on sale now.

Apparently, the Obama induced shortage is over, for now, and we are up to our hips in primers.

It's a good situation. Advise you reward Grafs with your business, they are one of the few who didn't rape people during the shortage.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com