doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Genelang Shotgun lost by airline - 06/28/11 11:00 PM
I don't know which one, but my local gunsmith's daughter's boyfriend, who is a sponsered shooter, lost a Perazzi in shipping. I hope it's fully insured.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/28/11 11:05 PM
You don't know which gunsmith, which daughter, which Perazzi, or which boyfriend?
Posted By: gordon g Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/28/11 11:26 PM
Possibly which Airline??
Posted By: Genelang Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/28/11 11:30 PM
Which airline, but I'll find out. I don't know the boyfriend, do know the daughter and gunsmith.
Posted By: GLS Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/28/11 11:52 PM
Wasn't there a horror story circulating on the gun forums several years ago about TSA breaking the stock on a very expensive double??
Posted By: Bill Davis Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/29/11 04:41 AM
Hey--I'm leaving for Uruguay in a few days!! Stop scaring me............
Posted By: Gnomon Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/29/11 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Davis
Hey--I'm leaving for Uruguay in a few days!! Stop scaring me............

You'll be OK - they lose guns, not people.
Posted By: Genelang Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/29/11 03:02 PM
Hey, good news! They found the shotgun. It had been "set aside" and the owner's insistance led to it being discovered.
Posted By: JonR Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/29/11 04:57 PM
It almost happened to me a few years ago. Southwest sent my gun to Burbank (BUR) instead of Buffalo (BUF). The lost-luggage agent was relentless in tracking it down (maybe because it was a gun?) and located it within a half hour. Took a day to get it to Buffalo, undamaged.
Posted By: Henrique Menezes Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/29/11 10:58 PM
Some time ago SS forum had a story of a missing pair of guns, coming from eastern Europe through JFK where they were last "seen".
It happens, rarely I think, and it should be a reminder for all of us who travel with guns, to get a proper insurance covering the cost of replacement.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/29/11 11:11 PM
Shouldn't the Subject now be "Shotgun found by airline"?

Just a thought.

JC
Posted By: Genelang Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/30/11 12:46 AM
Well, it couldn't be found it weren't lost to begin with.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/30/11 01:02 AM
Almost everybody who travels has had luggage misplaced by an airline. Insure your guns and don't worry too much about it. This post was a waste of time.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/30/11 02:26 PM
Ok Gene, granted. It should then be "Shotgun lost and found by airline". smile

JC
Posted By: Genelang Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/30/11 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: buzz
Almost everybody who travels has had luggage misplaced by an airline. Insure your guns and don't worry too much about it. This post was a waste of time.

Seldom is your luggage worth $5K or so. What I think you meant was this thread was a waste of time. Otherwise, I agree.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/30/11 08:31 PM
Genelang, what shotgun case do you use and or recommend using while transporting a double by airline? Do you recommend anything or any type that Cabalas' has to offer? Or should I go someplace else?
Posted By: Buzz Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/30/11 09:20 PM
No, Genelang, actually I meant my post was a waste of time....not your thread. Sorry if it offended you, it wasn't meant to.
Posted By: Genelang Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/30/11 09:42 PM
I don't travel with guns by airline. Can't afford to. Sorry, can't reccomend a case, but there are sources that can available on line.
Posted By: Genelang Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 06/30/11 10:39 PM
Originally Posted By: buzz
No, Genelang, actually I meant my post was a waste of time....not your thread. Sorry if it offended you, it wasn't meant to.

Not offended at all, buzz.
Posted By: HOS Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 07/01/11 03:20 AM
Actually, I believe the point of this post is that everybody should adequately insure their guns (and therefore not worry if they are stolen, lost,etc.)and travel with them. It' s not that difficult and the more that you do it, the easier it is for everybody else to travel with guns. Otherwise, what is the point of having these guns if you are not going to use them?
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 07/01/11 02:45 PM
HOS,
Can you elaborate on how to insure guns for airline travel?

Thanks much
Chuck
Posted By: HOS Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 07/02/11 01:52 AM
I have a "fine arts" policy on which various possessions of value (art, silver, guns etc.) are itemized. This is an insurance policy that comes up for renewal on an annual basis (not a one-time thing like an airplane flight), like your home owner's policy. My insurance agent has assured me that it covers the itemized property whether it is in my house, in my car or on a plane.
Posted By: Tyler Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 07/02/11 03:13 AM
I priced the "fine arts policy" and realized that I could buy another gun every 5 years for the price of the premium for my rather limited accumulation of guns. I guess if I trusted them to airlines more often it might be worthwhile.
Posted By: Chris Baumohl Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 07/02/11 04:37 AM
Chuck H.

Check out these guys for travel insurance. I have used them several times for travel. Never had a loss but they are very easy to deal with. The policy is an annual policy and reasonable enough.

http://www.siai.net/

Posted By: HOS Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 07/02/11 06:58 PM
The annual premium on my fine arts policy that insures guns etc. is roughly 1.5% of the itemized value of the stuff insured and, as I said before, insures against losses wherever the items are located at time of loss (car, plane, home, away from home).
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 07/02/11 07:53 PM
I have an "all risks" insurance policy, except for the exclusion of loss from an unlocked car, through Historic Firearms . I'm at home and my policy is at the office but if I remember correctly their minimum coverage is $35,000 and the premium for that is $125 per year which is .36% of insured value per year - I call that cheap. Also, it does not require scheduling individual items except for those guns individually valued at $10,000 or more.

At only $125 a year not insuring is foolhardy.

http://www.historicfirearms.com/
Posted By: HOS Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 07/03/11 02:10 AM
That is indeed cheap, but that outfit seems to be an insurance broker, not an insurance company. This is from their website: "We have direct relationships with over 45 major insurance companies and 300+ professionals, including licensed account managers." Who is your insurance carrier?
Posted By: Tyler Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 07/04/11 03:49 AM
That does sound like a good deal but I would be interested in hearing from someone about their claims experience. Chub is nowhere near that cheap but they will deliver.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 07/04/11 02:16 PM
HOS, yes Eastern Insurance is a broker but that is not an issue. In fact, all of my business insurance including Liability, Workers Compensation, Health and Malpractice are purchased through brokers rather than directly from the insurance company. I received the policy from the insurance company but I haven't been to the office since last Thursday so I don't know who the carrier is and really don't care as long as they are a licensed insurance company, which they are.

I've spoken to several members of the Parker Gun Collectors Association and have heard anecdotal reports that claims have been paid without issue.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Shotgun lost by airline - 07/04/11 07:46 PM
Chub is very reasonable through Eastern .I have a blanket policy and there is no deductible.Never had a claim.Bobby
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com