doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: James M Joh Springer in Wein - 06/14/11 08:51 PM
I'm putting in this link to a thread I started in the Double Rifle area of our forum. This area doesn't get a lot of traffic and I think many of you might enjoy seeing my new acquisition.
Jim
http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=232324#Post232324
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/15/11 10:38 AM
Nice looker.
Posted By: Roy Australia Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/15/11 12:03 PM
Wow, that looks great!
Posted By: James M Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/15/11 12:32 PM
Thanks Guys:
I'm waiting to hear back from the Springer Compay which is still in business. They no longer makes guns but operate as a gun shop. If anyone on the forum knows more about this gun please post it.
Jim
Posted By: King Brown Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/15/11 04:16 PM
I've been in their shop. It's no Junky Jim's.
Posted By: James M Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/15/11 04:44 PM
Yes King:
You can pull Springer's up on the web and it appears they have a real upscale operation. I emailed them a couple of days ago and so far haven't received a response so Hopefully; they're researching their records. I'll post whatever they send me.
Jim
Posted By: pwm Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/15/11 06:55 PM
hope not to disapoint you but my experience with Springers Erben is that they are not very keeen about their history. when I was searching about the 10,75x52R they need weeks for an answer.
when they have old records they dont know how to handle them.
Springer was going to different times since 1945 and is only a shadow of the former glory.
Harals Wolf had have the components for 10,75x52R cartridges, bullets and brass with factory headstamp and offer this to springer. they had absolutly no interest.

the only cartridge with "Springer" in the name!
Posted By: James M Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/15/11 07:51 PM
I'm going to do a chamber cast at my gun club to determine if this is the correct cartridge for this gun.The gun is in sound shootable condition so my next step will be based upon what the chamber cast reveals.
I guess Springer hasn't discovered what Colt and other gun makers have known for a long time. There's more money to be made in authenticating old guns they made then what they netted when they originally sold them!
Jim
Posted By: eightbore Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/15/11 10:07 PM
Can anyone elaborate on the Springer-California connection?
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/16/11 01:55 AM
At one time I had a Springer double rifle, found their email and wrote them a letter asking about information.

I received a email telling when it was made, the caliber and who it was made for, all within one day.

I remember the email well, it was from Margaret Weixelbraun-Springer. The very first thing she wrote was to thank me for speaking their language (or trying to) but the message was in English.
Posted By: James M Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/16/11 02:18 AM
Thanks Michael:
I will post whatever response I receive.
Jim
Posted By: James M Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/21/11 08:27 PM
I did a chamber cast this morning of the Springer double rifle and the results are posted on the tread in the double rifle section of this forum if anyone is interested.
Jim
Posted By: Geno Re: Joh Springer in Wein - 06/21/11 08:40 PM
I had business with Springer several times and with great pleasure. Usually they replied to my requests within one or two days. If not it means 'nobody home'. I met Springer junior at Moscow show and he's very nice man and told me a lot and BTW that they began to make guns.
And more, Springer has records with s/n starts from 5000.
Springer guns are very pricey.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com