doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PALUNC Leather hand guards - 06/04/11 09:16 PM
Thinking of purchasing a leather hand guard to use on my doubles. A few weeks ago while shooting 5 stand the barrels on my Hussey got so hot I could hardly open the gun.
Does the leather hand guard harm the blueing? Any pros or cons on these?
Posted By: Gnomon Re: Leather hand guards - 06/04/11 09:28 PM
Never had them harm the blueing and I do use them a lot. However, I do not leave them on and wipe the barrels well when I clean the gun.
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Leather hand guards - 06/04/11 09:40 PM
PALUNC:
Just get a good one... and do as Gnomon says. No harm will come to your Hussey. Or your gun.

Best, Kensal
Posted By: skeettx Re: Leather hand guards - 06/04/11 09:46 PM
Leather hand guards need to be put on and off.
Why not wear a sporting glove and not have the issue?

http://www.rem870.com/2011/04/26/camelbak-vent-shootingtactical-gloves/

Mike
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Leather hand guards - 06/04/11 09:56 PM
I used a handguard until I discovered that a cheap golf glove works pretty good too.
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Leather hand guards - 06/04/11 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: skeettx
Leather hand guards need to be put on and off.
Why not wear a sporting glove and not have the issue?

http://www.rem870.com/2011/04/26/camelbak-vent-shootingtactical-gloves/

Mike

Try these gloves for your SxS instead of a hand guard.
I have a pair and they are outstanding.

http://www.gripswell.com/gs12.php
Posted By: Joe Taylor Re: Leather hand guards - 06/04/11 10:10 PM
Use a leather shooting glove!
Posted By: fullandfuller Re: Leather hand guards - 06/04/11 10:33 PM
great leather handguards made by John Bugden of Murray, Ky. Can even get ones with some extra weight built in.
Have ones for 12 and 16ga. Work great.

Jeff
Posted By: Gnomon Re: Leather hand guards - 06/04/11 11:06 PM
Well, yes. A glove will work also but the original query was about a guard.

A salami sandwich will work also but not as well and wasn't the question.

When it's cold I'll use a glove otherwise a guard. I use them for 20, 16 and 12 ga.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Leather hand guards - 06/04/11 11:40 PM
Special gloves and hand guards are both expensive, and eventually you'll leave the hand guard on after a hot afternoon of shooting and rust your barrels. I just use the heavy greasy work glove I always have lying around in the back of my truck...Geo
Posted By: Genelang Re: Leather hand guards - 06/05/11 12:04 AM
Thing about a glove is you only have to buy one (pair) to fit your hand. wifh guard you have to buy one to fit each gauge.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: Leather hand guards - 06/05/11 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Genelang
Thing about a glove is you only have to buy one (pair) to fit your hand. wifh guard you have to buy one to fit each gauge.

Yeah... that'll break the bank.

A greasy work glove from the back of the truck? Your barrels are what? 3/4-inch galvanized pipe?
Posted By: Genelang Re: Leather hand guards - 06/05/11 01:14 AM
I don't use a greasy work glove, I bought a pair of buckskin gloves that are used just for the purpose of shooting.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Leather hand guards - 06/05/11 11:15 AM
I used a leather handguard on an Elsie for a few days of sporting clays. It DID take some blue off..
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Leather hand guards - 06/05/11 12:50 PM
I had a brand new gun with a brand new leather handguard and the handguard removed a 1/8" x 1 1/2" strip of bluing on the barrel in two rounds of skeet. I wouldn't use a leather handguard again if you paid me. I now use the S X S with heat shield model of Gripswell gloves when the situation of needing heat protection arises.
Posted By: justin Re: Leather hand guards - 06/05/11 04:43 PM
Just buy a handguard and try it out. It's not that big of an investment. AGL sells a great one
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Leather hand guards - 06/05/11 05:43 PM
Originally Posted By: justin
Just buy a handguard and try it out. It's not that big of an investment. AGL sells a great one

. . . and then add $300+ for re-rust bluing.
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Leather hand guards - 06/05/11 06:05 PM
I have used hand guards and gloves and gave up on the former long ago.
I found that they always move on the barrels under recoil which means you have to slide them back to the forend after each double. I dare say you can get more grippy ones but these might well damage the black/brown.
My vote will always be for a glove.

If you do opt for a hand guard it is a good idea to make sure yours has the proper cut out for the Anson pushrod catch if required. A while back I came across an old one that appeared to be specially designed for the Scott/Blanch lever catch. Doubt I will ever see another!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Leather hand guards - 06/05/11 06:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Gnomon
Originally Posted By: Genelang

Yeah... that'll break the bank.

A greasy work glove from the back of the truck? Your barrels are what? 3/4-inch galvanized pipe?

I guess my admission to not using either a handguard or a fancy glove must have lowered my esteem around here; picked up some new rates and lost a star. Undoubtedly well deserved, one must keep up appearances and so forth...Geo
Posted By: Mike Bailey Re: Leather hand guards - 06/06/11 07:37 AM
Palunc, I have a spare leather one here, send me your address and IŽll post it to you,
best, Mike
Posted By: justin Re: Leather hand guards - 06/06/11 12:49 PM
Wild Skies, Please let me know the circumstances of your experience having to re-blue a barrel from using a guard. I have used one on my steel barreled gun for 3 years now with no problems.
Maybe it's to do with the leather? Maybe the bluing?
Posted By: Genelang Re: Leather hand guards - 06/06/11 01:00 PM
Handguard guys: what are the advantages to using one over using a glove?
Posted By: Ted Huff Re: Leather hand guards - 06/06/11 01:32 PM
I have leather handguards, special leather gloves made for side-by-sides and every other device known to modern commerce. I generally end up using a pair of auto mechanic's gloves from the local auto parts store. They're cheap, wear well and work great.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Leather hand guards - 06/06/11 01:42 PM
I have had the handguard move back (after firing) and release the forend button that holds the forend on. I just use gloves now. I buy the $10 black leather ones that harbor Freight sells. More than adequate unless shooting trap by myself. They are thin enough that I can open my pocket knife or dial my Blackberry without taking them off.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: justin Re: Leather hand guards - 06/06/11 02:07 PM
Mike, The spring steel is maleable[sic] enough so you can make the guard fit over the Deeley so this can't happen and it can be made to fit snug enough so that it won't move around as happened to Toby.
I just have problems with gloves. The thumb piece is always getting caught under the top-lever and only the insulated gloves block the heat of the barrels.
Posted By: Mike Bailey Re: Leather hand guards - 06/06/11 04:50 PM
Yeah, and over here when it is 40 deg C I donŽt want to wear gloves !! problems with bluing ?? I donŽt know what hand guards you guys are using, mine are plain leather and no problem, like I said, send me your address, IŽll mail you one free of charge, best
Posted By: Genelang Re: Leather hand guards - 06/06/11 06:24 PM
You just have to wear one glove. If you guys would switch to Farenheit, it wouldn't be so hot. smile
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Leather hand guards - 06/06/11 06:59 PM
Mr. Bailey thanks,
Mike Proctor
5178 Mineral Springs Rd.
Graham, N.C. 27253
Posted By: Mike Bailey Re: Leather hand guards - 06/07/11 08:24 AM
will post tommorow Mike, should be with you in 7 days or so, best
Mike
Posted By: Joe in Charlotte Re: Leather hand guards - 06/07/11 07:43 PM
I cannot believe no one has mentioned Black Powder. Nothing can raise a blister like the heat off the barrels after 25 rounds of skeet.
My guns get screaming hot after just one station of sporting clays. Only a good hand guard (or ugly beaver tail) can protect the hands from the heat.
This year at the Southern SxS Black Powder event, I had to borrow a glove, mid course, to go with the hand guard as the barrels got so toasty.
I have one vintage hand guard with a "blinder" extension on the left side. It was someone's idea of curing left eye dominance.
I use handguards on all my doubles. I haven't worn through any bluing (yet).
I second John Budgen's work. He made me a custom handguard in 24 ga.

Joe
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com