doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Buzz Browning double trigger - 05/05/11 11:40 PM
Early Browning superposed were made with double triggers in which the shooter could pull either trigger twice consecutively discharging the next barrel. This seems to me the best of both worlds. I understand this was a complicated trigger, but why did it fail and disappear into obscurity?
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 12:01 AM
Most likely for the very reason you stated and they were likely expensive to built.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 12:28 AM
The Browning Twin-Single Trigger.
Every one I have owned has worked. Other makers have made triggers with the same features but none seem to do it today.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 12:30 AM
The "twin-single" triggers do function; at least on my 37 Super. The two triggers fired in sequence front to rear or the reverse exactly duplicate the performance of two simple (double) triggers but in the method of employment Buzz describes, each functions as a single-non-selective trigger. The choice of which one to use AS a SNST does actually "select" for first barrel. For example, you could choose to fire both barrels with the rear trigger and the order of fire would be top barrel then lower; choose to use the front trigger and the order would be botton barrel first and then top. Ned Schwing mentions that Val Browning put a good deal of effort into the development of a reliable inertia block SST (with combination selecter/safety on the tang) and once he had what he wanted, simple double triggers and the "twin-single" were no longer offered. I can't see why one of these triggers would be more complicated than any SNST but two of them in one gun would mean twice the labour and increased cost of production.

jack
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 01:12 AM
Buzz:
As Rabbit mentions, not ALL Superposed double triggers worked both barrels. I own one of the very first Lightnings with double triggers. They are simply plain double triggers with no interconnection to both barrels. This is just the way I like them. Quick, positive and foolproof. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about Val Browning's inertia trigger, which I consider only 90% reliable. Especially with lighter loads.

Best, Kensal
Posted By: tw Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 02:27 AM
I've not seen that feature on a SxS, Jack;-) Replace bottom for right and top for left & we are back on the same page for Supers, I think.

I once made the statement here that all double triggered Browning Supers were double singles. I was quickly taken to task. Kensal obviously has one of those that is not.

Both of the ones I have are double singles. Both guns' triggers function fine as single inertia triggers with loads as light as 24grams @ 1050 fps. I've never tried lighter loads like the Winchester Feather-lites in either gun.

One of them is a Mod/Mod. Not sure what the original owner had in mind, but if I had to guess he wanted a Mod choke, irrespective of what his brain was doing when he pulled the trigger.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 03:06 AM
Apparently, Ferlib more recently produced a double trigger that allowed for this on their sxs:

Quote:
One very interesting innovation was that most of the double trigger boxlocks had a feature whereby the front trigger will fire the right barrel and when pulled again will fire the left. It sounds complex, but when I questioned Ivano about the details, he assured me that it was not complicated; and proceeded to prove it by stripping one down to show me, and sure enough it wasn't. although he certainly makes best guns, Ivano is very much of the opinion that they do not need to be complex; simply very well finished. Simple ideas are the most reliable, and that is one of the qualities inherent in a Best Gun.

http://www.trulockandharris.com/reviews/ferlib.htm
Posted By: idahobob Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 05:07 AM
Here are some comments on the early Browning Superposed twin single trigger. I do not profess to be an “expert” but I have looked at several and currently own 3. One of these is a receiver I bought for a supply of twin single trigger parts. I have disassembled them, and attempted to correct problems on a couple, one of which still stubbornly refuses to work.
When they are good they are very good. Trigger pulls are good, and it is sort of convenient to pull one trigger twice and still be able to select the barrel. However unless you do not use other double triggers, you almost never use the ability to pull the same trigger twice in a hunting situation. Instinct takes over, and you will switch to the other trigger.
The twin single trigger was not designed by John Browning and it shows. His designs tend to be characterized by rugged substantial machined parts that function unless something is pretty seriously wrong. (Think of the A5, the BAR, or a lot of other guns he designed) The twin single trigger is flimsy. Four critical parts are stamped, and the design works based on a proper balance between a light spring that holds trigger connectors in two planes, and the spring in the inertial block which must tension the block and also slide the trigger connections laterally. The thing is in some ways almost waiting to give problems. While interesting, it is very unlike a John Browning design. (If you disagree it is ok, as long as you have disassembled the triggers and corrected problems).
John Browning from his early years was fascinated by recoil and using it to operate guns. From the beginning I think he intended to have a recoil activated single trigger on the Superposed, but he died before the design was finished. I think the twin single trigger inertia system is at least in part an adaptation of his thinking. Val Browning finished the design of the later single selective trigger in the late 30’s and the later design is very, very reliable and does not suffer from the weaknesses of the twin single trigger.
Originally the superposed had four different triggers: Double triggers, the twin single trigger, a single non selective trigger (which I have not disassembled) and a selective trigger with the selector beside the trigger in the slot where the second trigger would have gone. The double trigger was standard, the twin single a $20 option on an $80 shotgun. By 1936 the price of the “lightning had dropped to about $70, and the twin single was standard. Shortly after that, the inertia trigger used on all post war guns sold by Browning was adapted and all other triggers were discontinued. My guess is that perhaps only 3-4000 twin single trigger guns were sold. By the 1960s (perhaps earlier) Browning would not supply parts for the twin single trigger and instead offered (for a fee) to convert the gun to the late inertia style single trigger.
I like the darned things, but I cannot say they are as useful in practice as they would seem to be in theory. Still, it would be very interesting if someone would manufacture one as an option, say on a Beretta over/under or perhaps a a Citori that was a replica of the pre war supers. I do not think the original Superposed design would be the place to start, however. A few other guns have used twin triggers that will fire either barrel sequentially but they did not seem to sell. Whether it was the gun, marketing, or just a solution to a problem that does not exist is open to speculation.
Posted By: Dick_dup1 Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 10:50 AM
Bruchet offers a similar trigger on their sxs Darne shotguns but the front trigger fires the barrels sequentially, the rear trigger only fires the left barrel. I have one of these and it works just fine.-Dick
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 11:18 AM
I recently bought an inexpensive Spanish OU from the 60's (Laurona) with twin single triggers. Worked fine, either as double triggers or two separate single triggers.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 03:39 PM
Didn't Beretta make a gun about 30-40 years ago that had a trigger that was hinged in the middle? Pulling on the top fired one barrel, or pulling on the bottom pulled the other?
Posted By: Hoof Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 03:45 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I recently bought an inexpensive Spanish OU from the 60's (Laurona) with twin single triggers. Worked fine, either as double triggers or two separate single triggers.

I have one of these as well, they work fine, and I too think it is the best of both worlds.
Don't knock those old Laurona's. My family has purchased 5 or 6 of them, and never had a hiccup. The 26" O/U that my dad gave me when I was 12 is still the gun I shoot the best.
CHAZ
Posted By: The Technoid Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 03:55 PM
FWIW, Browning didn't discontinue the conventional double trigger in the '30s. I've got a 1968 Fabrique Nationale Superlight with standard double triggers. Perhaps it was more of a European market thing.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 06:31 PM
From 30 years before the introduction of the John M. Browning Superposed --

Posted By: Doverham Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 08:47 PM
Hard to beat that price.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Browning double trigger - 05/06/11 11:20 PM
Wha, wha, wha? waaaaah! Thanks for the egg facial, Trace. Quite right, pull the front trigger twice and get unda and then ovah; pull the rear twice and get ovah then unda. Lucky for me you know how to translate from the original Altzheimer. Otherwise I'd appear to be a certifiable, drooling moron rather than the timelessly hip, agelessly cool, impeccably articulate dude that I certainly must be, doan ya think? I actually do own one of those Supers with too many levers and not enuf switches and I can't remember it having a left or right barrel unless I'm canting it a lot worse than I thought. Perhaps I should check; it's in a sock in a safe or a case behind a sofa or somewhere. What's it look like?

jack
Posted By: idahobob Re: Browning double trigger - 05/07/11 12:56 AM
FN made the superposed, not Browning. FN sold double trigger guns post war. I believe none were marked for sale by Browning. Browning took more than 50% of the pre war guns and sold them in North America. FN sold to the rest of the world.

Early Brownings could be ordered to fire the top barrel first with selective triggers, and to fire the top barrel with the front double or twin single trigger. They are fairly common. I do not understand why, but apparently there was some customer demand for what today seems to be an unconventional firing order.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Browning double trigger - 05/07/11 01:27 AM
You could say that almost every JMB design except for a handful of single-shot rifles were not "made" by Browning. We are all provincials in one way or the other and the distinction between guns contracted for abroad but sold here vs. their licensed variants for the contractor's home market leads to the wonderful argument seen here a few yrs ago that a Browning Super is "not genuine B-25". Go figure?

jack
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Browning double trigger - 05/07/11 12:26 PM
Originally Posted By: tudurgs
Didn't Beretta make a gun about 30-40 years ago that had a trigger that was hinged in the middle? Pulling on the top fired one barrel, or pulling on the bottom pulled the other?

Yes they did. It was referred to as a "speed trigger" I believe, and was used in the BL series of OU's that date from the 60's. Specifically the BL-2.
Posted By: tw Re: Browning double trigger - 05/07/11 02:46 PM
BL-2S is the model configuration, the 'S' standing for 'Speed Trigger'. They are quite light, being stocked in Baltic birch or something similar rather than walnut and have minimal bbl. ribs. The speed trigger is easy and natural to use in the field with adequate room for a heavily gloved finger in the trigger guard. They did not catch on with the shooting public here and were not popular in this part of the country. They have the same simple extractor as the regular BL2.
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: Browning double trigger - 05/09/11 02:45 AM
I'm sure all you British Gun Enthusiast's have in your book collection Mr Don Masters Churchill's book. (One of the Best along with Dallas's Purdey's and his Boss,& Holland books.)Don has a Couple of drawings of Churchills"Double/Single,or is it Single/Double set of Triggers. The late Terry Smith, formerly of Hollands & Boss & Co. (His Trade Label stated he was "Articaled at both)I belive the late Paula Hodgins became "Articaled at Hollands also!! "We at Purdeys, managed to keep away from those Dirty Old Articals.!Back to Churchill's Double /Single Repeating Trigger.. I had built a Fred Beesley 'Self-Opener"(With the help of 5 0ther London"Best Gunmakers"),I had built a set of standard Purdey Double Triggers to put in the action, but T.A.Smith showed me his E.J.Churchill, with the EJCHURCHILLRepeating unit...So we built a unit & I fitted it into my Beesley 12b.DB. Maybe someone on this dbgunshop shot it when I had it at the last Sandiknowner affair that Mike McIntosh/ Vic Ventors/ Richard Raymond & Self attended.So many Moons ago.I wanted to write a artical about how it is (WAS) still possible to build a TOP Quality London Gun without a CNC Machine, (I Use plenty cnc machined bits! But not on the Old Classics" They just dont tast right!! dt/crossedchisles
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com