doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Oldfarmer More shoot photos - 03/06/11 10:30 AM
And a few more

Posted By: John Foster Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 12:50 PM
It looks a nice shoot Oldfarmer here is it?? I would like to see your boys using S by S's and not jap O & U's and that old cock bird has you weighed up.
Posted By: John Foster Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 12:51 PM
I missed out a W
Posted By: Larry S Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 01:39 PM
Supurb
Posted By: Oldfarmer Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 02:07 PM
Boys will be boys - at least they are not using a semi auto!!!
I can be more traditional - this is me shooting my 16 bore - recently converted from a 14 bore - I shot it all this seasion and fetched a few nice birds down with it.
JC
Posted By: GF1 Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 02:11 PM
Whew, that last photo confirms that all has not gone to hell in Jolly Ole'...nearly dropped my monocle at the sight of a Japanese Browning over/under on a proper driven shoot. Great photos.
Posted By: Oldfarmer Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 02:14 PM
Who mentioned a proper shoot? most consider our shoot to be more of an armed cocktail party!!
Posted By: wburns Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 02:34 PM
Looks like a great Time! Some day I am going to give a driven pheasant hunt a try.
Posted By: GF1 Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Oldfarmer
Who mentioned a proper shoot? most consider our shoot to be more of an armed cocktail party!!

Touche! Oldfarmer, you'd fit right in at one of our brandings, or a big country chukar hunt.
Posted By: John Foster Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 04:11 PM
Oldfarmer, that looks like my kind of shoot Where are you?? I am in the North East of England. Stockton-on-Tees.
Posted By: JayCee Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 04:21 PM
Hello JC,

We call our hunts "Pic-nic con escopetas/Pic-nic with shotguns". You'd surely fit right in.
You are welcome if you happen to be in our whereabouts.

Sometimes we get mixed bags such as this one:

JC
Posted By: Bill Davis Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 05:29 PM
Great photo's. Thanks for sharing!!
Posted By: Oldfarmer Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 05:29 PM
John
Just a bit further south - Worcestershire
John
Posted By: postoak Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 05:47 PM
Here are a few shots from Texas.

Posted By: Oldfarmer Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 06:05 PM
JayCee
Wow - Chile looks good - the sky and the light look so clear. This is me with a goose I shot just before Christmas - don't get the chance very often round here - and yes that is my yellow landrover and yes - that is an o/u in I am holding - can't get the big non toxic for a 14/16 bore and I am not sure I would want to put anything bigger than 1 oz through it as it is 145 years old!

Postoak - Whats the bird? don't think we get them here.
Love the sign!!
John
Posted By: postoak Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 06:19 PM
John the sign picture was taken for the benefit of the youngmens mothers smile.

The big bird is a Sandhill Crane, the two small birds are a Bobwhite Quail on the left, and a Blue Quail on the right. The grill pictures are Mourning Dove Breasts wrapped in Bacon.

JC I need to get down to Chile someday, that looks beautiful, and maybe make it over to the UK also. It looks so green and lush.
Posted By: JayCee Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 07:27 PM
John, that 110 looks very well outfitted! (And the colour is almost Camel Trophy).

Any and all would be welcome to come visit. No promise on prey but a commitment for proper victuals and great wines.

JC
Posted By: Oldfarmer Re: More shoot photos - 03/06/11 08:01 PM
The camel trophy ones are a more sandy yellow - mine came from gatwick airport. When I got it first i almost had it respayed - But then I thought - what the heck!!! better to spend the money on a day or two's shooting.
Posted By: Crazy Larry Re: More shoot photos - 03/07/11 03:32 AM
Were you shooting black powder in those hulls?

Just curious. I took my SxS Remington to the range once and ran a round of clays with black powder loads in magtech brass hulls. (full 3 drams of FFFg "777" and 1-1/8oz of #9 shot)

A stout load, but, worked quite well.

Originally Posted By: Oldfarmer

Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: More shoot photos - 03/07/11 05:04 AM
Great photos! I especially like the shot of the firing hammer gun! Very nice!

Adam
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: More shoot photos - 03/07/11 05:07 AM
JayCee,

Are those valley quail in your photo? Were those shot in Chile???? Or it another species of quail that just look like Valley quail? I've always read there are many species and sub-species of quail in Central and South America.

Great photos! It's neat to see photos of hunting from a place like Chile. Thanks for sharing!

Adam
Posted By: Oldfarmer Re: More shoot photos - 03/07/11 08:42 AM
CL
Yes BP- from memory it was 1 oz with 2 1/2 medium. When she was a 14 bore I had difficulty getting ammo. I obtained a box of Eley gastight - so kept reloading them with BP several times. Tried brass cases but had difficulty extracting. Now she is 16 bore no problem with ammo - so I haven't bothered with BP. When the temperature in my shed gets above frezzing and I have a little time I will load a few to see how she goes - and put the other shooters off - great fun!!
Here is my other BP gun - also have difficulty getting ammo!!

Posted By: Chris Schotz Re: More shoot photos - 03/07/11 12:51 PM
Oldfarmer,
Is that your driven woodcock gun?
I'd sure love to see that go off!
Chris
Posted By: Oldfarmer Re: More shoot photos - 03/07/11 01:05 PM
Chris
As I live a long way from the coast - and I don't have a punt I'm afraid it is the 'walked up 40 gallon oil drum' gun. It's very effective - no wounded ones as yet!!! but you do need to stalk them to about 30 yards to be sure of a clean kill!!!

If you look carefully you can see the shot string.

Posted By: JayCee Re: More shoot photos - 03/07/11 03:26 PM
John, great photos; very well synchronized. Any special recipe to cook the drum? I think it may be a bit chewy.

Adam, yes they are California Valley quail (Callipepla californica) introduced at the end of the XIX century; very abundant locally and you can get 25 per outing, if you shoot well. The others at the top are local perdiz (Nothoprocta perdicaria), endemic and only found in Chile and some doves (Zenaida auriculata) and a cottontail. Sometimes we get ducks (assorted) and jackrabbits. What is always there is nice vintage cabernets to wash down the assorted provisions.

JC
Posted By: Roy Australia Re: More shoot photos - 03/08/11 10:23 AM
Looks like great fun, well done.
Posted By: Oldfarmer Re: More shoot photos - 03/08/11 02:53 PM
Chris
Try this link - I'm afraid it is only a blank so not quite so much bang - but it is still pretty impressive!!

Just click on the photo - it should work after a slight delay
John
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: More shoot photos - 03/08/11 03:27 PM
Oldfarmer your picture reminds me of the way things used to be here. In Texas they used to allow an aggregate bag for dove. That is if you had ten hunters and the limit was fifteen birds your group was allowed 150 birds and so one shooter might shoot thirty and two other shooters shoot seven each. They were generally all tossed into one pile.

As a consequence opening day was a lot more family oriented. Every old grandparent, spouse, and child that could safely hold a gun was invited and many of them showed up and socialized and shot.

And what a great Blue Quail gun you have there!

Thanks for the post and the pictures.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Oldfarmer Re: More shoot photos - 03/11/11 01:34 PM
Glad you liked it - have a look at the other photos and more info on the punt gun on the other half of this thread 'small English shoot'
John
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com