doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: R.C. Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/05/11 09:24 PM
Is the grade significant in the quality of Parker Damascus barrels, as it was in later fluid steel barreled guns? The barrel set in question is a G grade marked "twist steel".
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/05/11 09:32 PM
Is it a Grade 2 toplever hammergun or lifter?
This might help
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17227428
https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfg2hmx7_268gzhjpd4d
https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfg2hmx7_22ddqshmdq

And yes, less expensive pattern welded barrels were matched with lower grade guns; which is not to say the barrels were intrinsically less reliable.
Posted By: R.C. Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/05/11 09:40 PM
It is a top lever action
Posted By: R.C. Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/05/11 09:41 PM
To be more specific, a top lever hammerless.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/05/11 09:46 PM
Interesting R.C. What year production? May have been ordered with Twist rather than the usual Dam3?
You might ask the experts here to look up the original specs by posting the serial number
http://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php
Posted By: R.C. Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/05/11 09:52 PM
The gun is advertised, and I neglected to get the serial, pre '98 for certain.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/05/11 10:35 PM
A #2 or G grade Parker with Twist Steel barrels, original from the factory, would be a rare gun of interest to collectors. Did we miss some details or a link to the ad for the gun in question?
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/05/11 10:38 PM
Simple answer: if Parker put them on their guns they are of good quality. About the only difference is as the grade went up the barrels generally were made of smaller rods, therfore they had more figure. At the time many people mistakenly thought the tighter the figure the stronger the barrels. Actually, fancier barrels were often weaker.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/05/11 10:57 PM
"fancier barrels were often weaker"

Could you please provide documentation to support that statement (other than Greener's opinion than anything beyond 3 rod was "over twisted")
The 1891 Birmingham Proof House Trial tested only 2, 3, and 4 rod; neither 6 rod crolle nor high grade/expensive (3 rod) Bernard were included.
https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfg2hmx7_242cxhh9hfq
Posted By: R.C. Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/05/11 11:05 PM
I will be pleased to supply the link Monday when I can get the serial # and so forth.

It appears from the pics to be a replacement buttstock though nicely done, for whatever that means to its collector value.
Posted By: R.C. Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/06/11 01:45 PM
Here's the link:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImag..._parkerg10ga_01

From the engraving it looks like it's been misidentified as a "G", and is the "P" grade.

There is an ad for "The Parker Story" in the Spring 2001 DGJ, with a picture of a twist barreled hammerless, it looks like the same model, and the twist patterns match.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/06/11 05:47 PM
If the one in the picture is the one we are discussing, its a grade 1 or "P" grade; the twist barrels are the most common. The treasure there is to find one of the few made with steel barrels...Geo
Posted By: R.C. Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/06/11 07:32 PM
I seldom look at Parkers as they carry such a premium, for a reason I suppose, but unlike other vintage US doubles I have experienced one and liked it.

Lacking the assurance of a nitro proof, is it conceivable that a twist barrels of this weight (assuming no corrosion or modification issues) could be counted upon to handle moderate pressure loads? At 3", only lower pressure factory (RST) shells are available anyway, with the only alternative being handloading using 2 7/8 data (which I've done).

I've noticed English damasacus guns advertised in nitro proof in spite of having 1/3 of original wall thickness honed out, i.e, a gun with original proof at 13b now sporting .740 bores. If twist barrels this thin can pass proof, either they are much stronger than generally believed or proof testing is suspect.
Posted By: R.C. Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/06/11 07:45 PM
In case a Parker expert is online, the serial number of the gun in question is 86151. Also confirmed is the "P" stamp on the watertable.

Thanks.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/06/11 08:40 PM
R.C., I would not be too quick to call that a restock. Granted, it has an unusually high comb but after looking at the pictures under magnification, I see nothing that says "restock" to me. Except for the frame appearing to have been polished, it looks like a nice "righteous" 1897 Parker PH to me.
Posted By: R.C. Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/06/11 09:06 PM
The stock shape and dimensions would be a bit unusual,wouldn't you say?

As to the misidentification of grade in the ad, how can you miss that, there is a "P" on the watertable.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/07/11 12:51 AM
Cabela's makes their share of mistakes in describing guns, so the fact that it is a Grade 1 and they list it as a Grade 2 is no big surprise.... they probably didn't mean to deceive anyone.

The stock shape and dimensions may be a tad unusual but for cold weather ducks and geese while wearing heavy clothing I think those dimensions and the high comb are just about right.

I have ordered PGCA research letters on guns I was interested in and if there are records on that gun perhaps a research latter will answer questions about the stock.
Posted By: R.C. Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/08/11 05:26 PM
Well, it's not a Grade 2 darn it, but as described it appears to be in decent condition, which for me is a greater consideration.

James Flynn in Alexandria, LA is only a hour's drive away and has agreed to check it out for me, says he's looked at quite a number of them for his customers. If they will give me enough inspection time for him to get to it.

Any comments on taking the plunge with a composite barreled gun?
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/08/11 06:21 PM
If the bores are decent and the wall thickness is sufficient I would not be afraid to buy that Parker.
Posted By: R.C. Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/09/11 10:37 PM
An NID 10 (2 7/8) has been on my list for a long time, though never having handled one (I've yet to handle a Parker 10, for that matter; you never see them in LA). The Ithaca version, from photos look a bit clumsy, especially with the BTFE. I'll guess the Parker would come closer to the handling characteristics I've tried in vain to find on a big, heavy gun.

Oh, well I've never lost money on a 10 gauge, so may as well have a look at it.

Thanks to all.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/09/11 10:43 PM
I can't find the gun on the Cabela site. Can you provide me with an item number?
Posted By: R.C. Re: Parker "G" Damascus barrels - 03/09/11 10:56 PM
It is Number 2147136
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com