doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AmarilloMike Point, flush, retrieve - 01/28/11 02:17 AM
My pheasant hunting student Last Dollar posted such a great hunting experience a few days ago it inspired me to post a more modest experience that lasted about ten minutes.

My shooting student Joe Wood and I were out hunting bobwhites a couple of days ago. We were hunting a nice little creek and the dogs started working up a draw that drained into it. Molly pointed a single about a hundred yards up the draw. We flushed it, shot it and bagged it. We couldn't find Red and then saw him just at the top of a ridge about one hundred and fifty yards further up the draw. He was on point. We started up that way. The dogs have learned our body language and can tell when game is being made. Molly and Ginger ran up ahead of us, saw Red, and honored. Joe was carrying his Lefever 16 gauge.

Molly and Ginger backing Red:

This is Red:

Joe going in for the flush:

The flush - you can see the bird about to fly out the right side of the frame:

In a one in a billion phenomenon the bird committed suicide by flying into Joe's shot string - Red's retrieve:

I am proud of the progress in their upland hunting skills that Last Dollar and Joe have experienced under my tutelage.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/28/11 04:24 AM
It must be rewarding to have students far surpass even your own skills. smile
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/28/11 04:26 AM
Is that Brad Pitt in the photo ?
Posted By: RyanF Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/28/11 04:00 PM
What does Red have on his legs?
Posted By: skeettx Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/28/11 04:59 PM
Booties held on by properly colored tape.
Red front, green rear smile he he he
The sand burrs around here are pronounced.
Mike
Posted By: TwiceBarrel Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/28/11 08:26 PM
Mighty desolate looking country.....just the way I like it. By the way how far did Joe have to chase Red to get the bird from him....Red doesn't seem to anxious to give up his prize.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/28/11 10:23 PM
Actually I don't even have to collect the birds. Mike does all the yelling at the dogs, chases 'em fer miles begging and pleading with 'em to give him the birds. By the time they do give him one of the pieces I've had time to sit down and eat lunch and take a little nap. Not a bad way to hunt. He even carries the birds, water, boots, everything. And people wonder why I don't keep dogs of my own........huh?

Not a desolate country at all, in fact just the opposite. These pictures are in the rolling tall grass prairie that drops off to timbered and brushy creek bottoms (yes, we do have "creeks" in Texas). Probably the most perfect habitat on earth for quail. They've got shelter in the bottoms when needed and the hills provide incredible quanities of food for them. And also the country is big enough to give the little brown birds some anonymity from the abundant predators.

P.S. I do think all of his dogs have a genetic shortcoming--they all seem to be deaf.

PP.SS. For all of y'all enjoying a white winter in New England we wish you all the best. What you see here is about the worst weather we get.......
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/28/11 10:28 PM
Mike and Joe you two are the absolute best!!! smile
Great pics and thanks for sharing them and your hunt!!
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/29/11 12:40 AM
Mike walking right into a covey. Can't remember if he hit one or not....I usually assume "not"--it makes for a lot less conversation.

Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/29/11 01:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
It must be rewarding to have students far surpass even your own skills. smile
Chuck I wouldn't know.

Originally Posted By: RyanF
What does Red have on his legs?
As SkeetTX said colored tape. It is actually colored duct tape and I get it at WalMart. I used to use gray duct tape. It holds on a piece of motorcycle innertube. Red has chewed his left front tube off.

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Is that Brad Pitt in the photo ?
No jOe, Brad Pitt looks like me. The South side of a North bound boar looks like Joe.

Originally Posted By: TwiceBarrre
By the way how far did Joe have to chase Red to get the bird from him....Red doesn't seem to anxious to give up his prize.
This is about Red's 50th day to hunt with Joe and the first time Joe has managed to hit a bird while Red was along. Naturally Red was bringing the bird to me as he had never had to bring one to Joe.

Thanks Treb! But I am sure you meant just me.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/29/11 03:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Not a desolate country at all, in fact just the opposite. These pictures are in the rolling tall grass prairie that drops off to timbered and brushy creek bottoms (yes, we do have "creeks" in Texas). Probably the most perfect habitat on earth for quail.

The first time I hunted Bobwhite in northern Mexico, I looked at that 'desolate' countryside and wondered "What on earth do the poor quail find to eat around here?" After finding more coveys per hour than any place else I'd ever hunted, I kicked around in the 'dead' grass and found what must have been a multi-year accumulation of dried seed on top of the ground. Mystery solved!...Geo
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/29/11 12:44 PM
I cant begin to express my gratitude to Mike for the many things he has taught me about Pheasant hunting and dog training over the years. So that the rest of you can benefit from his wisdom and experience, I have tried to make a complete list of those things. List follows:

Hope that helps.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/29/11 05:42 PM
Last Dollar, on your list you forgot the great sandwiches Mike makes for the hunt. First class.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/29/11 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
I cant begin to express my gratitude to Mike for the many things he has taught me about Pheasant hunting and dog training over the years. So that the rest of you can benefit from his wisdom and experience, I have tried to make a complete list of those things. List follows:

Hope that helps.

ROTFLMAO laugh laugh !
Posted By: Tomball Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/29/11 10:38 PM
As Larry the Cable would say, "Now that's funny"
Posted By: skeettx Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/29/11 11:22 PM
he he he
I almost peed my pants reading Last Dollar's comment
Joe and I shot together today and reviewed the moment
What fun
Mike
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/30/11 12:00 AM
Mike, in all seriousness, great day, great pics..PS: Send my wife home.......
Posted By: Cameron Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/30/11 01:29 AM
Have to say, I enjoy the banter between you guys!

Great photos and certainly some nice looking bird country.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Point, flush, retrieve - 01/30/11 05:58 AM
Chuck,
Can you print that list? It would be nice to have that framed for future reference. Or is a free copy of the list accompany every ream of xerox paper?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com