doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: George L. ED MUDERLAK - 12/22/10 07:06 PM
Sadly, Kevin McCormack reported today on the Parker Forum "the passing of Ed Muderlak at 3PM yesterday at his home in Durand, IL after a long and courageous battle with cancer. Through his research, writings, and conversations, Ed did much to expand the base of knowledge connected with Parker guns. True students of the marque owe much to him, and I am proud to have known him. May he rest in peace."

I knew him too, although not as well as Kevin. I have his books on Parkers, signed by him to me which I will always treasure. My condolences to his wife Nancy and the rest of his family. He will be missed.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/22/10 07:15 PM
Yes, we'll miss him and I'll miss arguing with him sometimes. His contributions to our "sport" were tremendous.
Posted By: topgun Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/22/10 07:19 PM
That is indeed sad news. Although I never had the opportunity to know Ed more than casually; I did have the chance to meet and visit with Ed at a couple of the Southern Side x Side events. Ed was quite a character and great conversationalists who seemed to live for the opportunities provided by a good debate. Almost fanatical about his Parkers, and a great researcher; Ed's loss will be felt for a long time within the double gun community. I extend my sincerest sympathies to his widow and loved ones as they adjust to his passing.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/22/10 07:26 PM
I just can’t find the words to express how sorry I am to hear this because he was a true gentleman.
Posted By: PeteM Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/22/10 07:39 PM
Ed with his beloved Parker Dog!

Ed was one of kind. A generous mentor to me and many others. I am glad I had the opportunity to share one pheasant hunt with him.

Pete
Posted By: eightbore Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/22/10 08:17 PM
I will miss my friend, Ed. He is a living, breathing, walking, testimonial for retiring early and giving your all to something you enjoy. He lived for shotguns, dogs, writing, researching, boats, preaching, debating, travelling, living on the land, you name it. He is what we wanted to be and some of us are. I hope Nancy, Ed's lovely wife, does not give up on us. Ed's sometime friend, Bill Murphy
Posted By: lagopus Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/22/10 08:28 PM
Very sad indeed. I only ever communicated with Ed by e-mail but he came across as one of life's good-guys. I have some of his books which I very much enjoy. Lagopus.....
Posted By: ejsxs Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/22/10 09:30 PM
At this end of the world he will be missed also. In spite of his illness, I gather that he had a very interesting life, half year in charge of his maize farm the other half writting on board of his boat in the Caribbean. His books are splendid portraits of a classic gun and its era.
Posted By: Alder adder Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/22/10 09:54 PM
I'm very sad to hear this. I am fortunate enough to have two of his books. His Parker gun book is the best that I have read and
His love of the guns from Meriden was inspiring. It's been a hard year for us shotgun folks. Too many goodbyes. frown frown frown
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/22/10 10:10 PM
In 1998 I bought his book "Parker Gun, The Old Reliable", read it thoroughly and wrote to him through the address (his farm in Ill) printed on the back flap of the dust jacket thanking him for the knowledge I gained from his research. He replied right away and suggested that if I liked Parker guns so much I should join the PGCA. I joined that afternoon and have never been sorry. Ed and I have had several discussions since then, both in person as well as electronically and I am continuously amazed by his knowledge and most of all, his eagerness to share his knowledge with anyone who expresses an interest.
He certainly will be missed but his words will stay with us for years and years to come. For those who may not have known Ed or read his words here and on other forums, he often signed off with an oft repeated phrase which today rings only too true....
"Further EDM sayeth naught."

Rest in peace Ed.

Dean
Posted By: John Roberts Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/23/10 02:01 AM
Sad news indeed. I had heard he was suffering from terminal cancer. Sounded like a fine man. Just recently bought his latest book and it is a great piece. Prayers for his family at this difficult time for a loved one's leaving. I am sure he rests in God's bosom.
JR
Posted By: Mal Mac Gregor Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/23/10 01:03 PM
My Wife Terri and I got to know the Muderlaks while they sailed through the Bahamas and stopped at the small island of Staniel Cay where we have a winter home. It was great to have spirited conversations about guns, and life in general with Ed and Nancy.

We would always visit thereafter at the Vintage Cup, Southern SXS, or whatever venue brought us together.

Our heartfelt sympathy for Nancy and the rest of his family.

He will be sorely missed!

Mal
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/23/10 02:11 PM
I did not know Ed but lament the passing of another shotgun brethren. Godspeed Ed.
Posted By: Ted Huff Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/23/10 04:00 PM
I met Ed only once when we were at the same motel for the UP SxS shoot and he "loaned" me Parker for an evening so I'd have a dog to nap with. A fine gentleman and I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.
Posted By: bgl0b6 Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/23/10 04:26 PM
I got to know Ed a little when the guys on the L C Smith site were bashing him about his last book on Parkers.I was lucky enough to get a limited copy from him upon publishing.A very knowlegeable man and seemed to be first class.I am sorry to hear of his passing,god bless his family....
Posted By: James M Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/23/10 04:40 PM
I didn't know him either but I am aware of his writings and it's always a shame when we lose a noted author. Hopefully someone will forward this thread to his family.
Jim
Posted By: Vic Venters Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/23/10 05:14 PM
I am very sorry to hear of Ed's passing. I know he faced cancer with great bravery and was able to complete his last book in the face of it -- a tribute to his love of guns and gunning history. With the loss of Michael McIntosh this has been a bad year. My condolences to his wife and family.
Posted By: tw Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/23/10 06:13 PM
I knew him primarily through his many posts & opinions.

I am saddened to learn of his passing.

We need more passionate & opinionated people who speak with their own voices from their own experiences, not less.

God bless both he and his family.
Posted By: tut Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/23/10 10:07 PM
Met Ed years ago at a small gunshop (Nimrod) located in Leesburg, Va. Ed knew the owner and often dropped by while in the area to collect old hunting books and other literature that he could use for background for the different books/articles he was writing. I had picked up a copy of Muderlak's first book on Parker Shotguns (Old Reliable) and was looking it over when I noticed the picture of the author (Ed) on the dust cover looked remarkably like the fellow now smoking a large cigar with the owner. As I was figuring things out, Ed noticed my eyes locked in his direction. He then very nicely asked me if I wanted him to autograph the book I now had in my hands and of course I stammered yes. As I'm writing this, I just dug the book out. What Ed penned was the following: 20 May 2000 - To Tom Tutwiler who just happened to be at Nimrod's when I was there. Ed Muderlak

Seemed like a gentleman and indeed a good man. Glad I got a chance to shake his hand and say hello. He will indeed be missed.
Posted By: J. Stephens Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/24/10 01:09 AM
So sorry to hear of Ed's passing. Had only one telephone conversation with him but he was, as others have noted, a wealth of Parker information. He will be missed. My prayers and best wishes to his friends and family. Jeff S.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/24/10 01:30 AM
Another sad loss. He will be missed.
Posted By: rabbit Re: ED MUDERLAK - 12/24/10 04:14 PM
Every time I'd see those initials, I'd think electro-discharge machining. He was pretty sparky after all and maybe a bit self-congratulatory but none of us can doubt that he had reason to be that way.

jack
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com