doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bushmaster What happended to Jostam Manufacturing? - 12/22/10 01:40 AM
When did they stop making recoil pads
What Happened?
Google was not helpful

Old Hy-gun recycled onto a stock I refinished:

Posted By: Rockdoc Re: What happended to Jostam Manufacturing? - 12/23/10 03:33 AM
From a historical book about Peotone, IL 1856-1956.

The Jostam Manufacturing Company was founded in
1914 by Standard, A. H. Ammann, and W. R. Jorgenson,
for the purpose of manufacturing gun recoil pads for
shotguns and rifles. These pads were shipped all over the
world. James Kruger, who started with the firm when
founded, made the first pads in his garage at his home.
They later moved to the Ammann Building, now owned
by the Sportsmen Club, where they remained for approx-
imately 41 years. They operated all that time with the
exception of two years during World War II when mat-
erial was impossible to be had. The business was sold
April 14, 1955 and moved to Dallas, Texas, where it is
being operated by Buddy Schohllkopf Production Com-
pany.
Posted By: wb Re: What happended to Jostam Manufacturing? - 12/23/10 06:54 AM
Still available................as copy's??
http://www.csmcspecials.com/product_p/pp028.htm
http://www.brownells.com/1/1/49432-factory-logo-recoil-pads-jostam-recoil-pad-galazan.html
More infro here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22972603

Unfortunately the most common and also the most sought after Jostam "Anti-Flinch" haven't been copied yet. I have heard that Galazan is looking for a couple new old stock pads so that they can be replicated. Anyone have a new old stock size small and size medium they would care to contribute to the project?
Reckon using them as prototypes for replication damages or destroys them?

Stan
I should have bought the unused in the box Antiflinch that recently sold on e-Bay for $81
I think it is in the que for replication by CSMC. Craig and I talked to Lou about it the last day of The Vintage Cup. The one that sold on ebay was, I believe, the No. 1 Rifle Size --

I wish, I wish, I wish..... someone would replicate the small Hawkins with the heart shaped vents, too.

Stan
5 15/16" Hawkins Heart at Galazan

Even though the Galazan Hy-Gun reproduction is a high quality product, I prefer the recycled original. The original is a darker shade and feels like the old rubber pencil erasers. the Galazan is softer and has more of an elastomeric feel than a rubbery feel. I am guessing that the Galazan is urethane not rubber.
That's the right pad, but the wrong size. It's waaaaay too big for my Elsie. While I'm wishing, I want it in black. Like this, only smaller.

Stan
I bought the new one in the box on e-bay and have set it aside for a sample, it is a small the size used for small bore Foxes. I am still looking for a medium. Craig
That's what I'm looking for, Craig. Good to know there is still a few around.

Stan
Posted By: bbman3 Re: What happended to Jostam Manufacturing? - 12/24/10 02:45 AM
I remember back in the 50s when i was a baby you could buy new Jostam pads in the local Western Auto Store . Bobby
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com