doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RMC OT Local lad battles 2 bears in tree stand - 10/13/10 02:53 AM
A few miles down the road, a local lad does battle with two black bears 15 ft up in a tree. Wild story and getting wilder by the hour. Photos show 45 stiches in his calf and puncture wounds in his shoulder. Story details in: www.petoskeynews.com. Hit News and scroll down to recent news and the bear story. This story should keep the berry pickers out of the woods. Randy
My "throwaway" weapon is $120 9x19 Tokarev. Randy, are you familiar with this concept?
hope you filed off the front sight...
In the news this morning, it was announced that if they can find Mama bear, she will be euthanized.
600 lb Mama and (2) 400 lb cubs(?) - Sounds VERY big to me. I'm sure when a couple of them are trying to eat you...they probably look much bigger. I just saw a picture of a 700 lb. Michigan bear that got ran over with a combine last week - so they do get that big up there.

Story like this makes me remember why I carry a .41 mag even when bowhunting. By the way - I think I would have tried to shiskabob (sp?) him with a broadhead instead of throwing my bow at him to scare him away. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Posted By: RMC Re: OT Local lad battles 2 bears in tree stand - 10/13/10 02:49 PM
DNR will probably orphan 3 75# cubs. That will be a shame. Then they will have to deal with a frightened homeowner who has these 3 cubs eating at her bird feeder. Leave the 4some alone. A sow that nurtures 3 cubs to this point should be "Mother of the Year". She is only a few weeks from hibernation. Hard to believe the cubs were in attack mode. They just climbed the tree at mothers command and met up with this screaming humanoid and in self defense took a couple bites before being punched or drop kicked to the ground. I think the tussle was a draw. He's lucky Mamma didn't join in, the end game might have been entirely different. Truth be known, the kid probably had a pocket full of "Slim Jims" and chummed them right in. Not to mention the likelyhood of an apple pile he was hunting over was part of the mix. Just a thought. Randy

Jager, Never heard of the Tokarev throwaway. Explain? Only throwaway I heard of is the bowhunters in the east that hunt private estates, and bird feeder bucks in the subdivisions. They use a garage sale bow and when the gatekeepers are close on their tail they toss them the worthless bow and the pursuers stop and fondle the bow as the trespasser races to his pickup he's parked behind the 7/11.
The truth is unknown and will probably never be known. DNR will most likely kill wrong animal and as is often said life will go on.
It's inexpensive tool steel 9mm Luger pistol made at factory 66 in Beijing China. Little money will be lost if something happens to the gun.
Posted By: JM Re: OT Local lad battles 2 bears in tree stand - 10/13/10 09:15 PM
Lesson learned: Don't go to a pigroast prior to going hunting. Always carry a large caliber handgun as a backup, especially with bears in your area. Keep your cell phone with you and on vibrate.

Originally Posted By: JM
Lesson learned: Don't go to a pigroast prior to going hunting. Always carry a large caliber handgun as a backup, especially with bears in your area. Keep your cell phone with you and on vibrate.

and don't throw the only weapon you have at the bear !
(also agree with the large caliber hand gun (Ruger 44mag Bisley,Colt Saa 357 mag) back up.

This is a strange story,been around a lot of black bears and never had one not run when he saw me (could be me!)
Posted By: RMC Re: OT Local lad battles 2 bears in tree stand - 10/14/10 03:20 AM
DNR caught the/a sow in a culvet trap today and will put it down. Claimed the sow has no fear of man, bullsh--, bullsh--..........No wonder our game management is upside down when clowns make decisions like that. Randy
Posted By: RHD45 Re: OT Local lad battles 2 bears in tree stand - 10/14/10 03:33 AM
If you will go to the official reports of bear related fatalities for the last 20 years you will see that black bears are leading grizzlies in the number of predatory attacks on humans.They have lost their fear of man in many localities and are starting to view us as a source of food. The newspapers often do not report that a fatality involved the bear feeding on the victim but the official reports do.The reports are on line and can be found with some searching.I found out that most predatory attacks are done by male bears but one was a 112 pound female who killed and partially devoured 2 people. Hard to imagine that a small bear is that strong.
I owned a bar in my younger years (1980's) and some promoter talked me into having a "wrestling bear" for entertainment for the night. Short version is that this 140lb bear threw everyone of my "security staff" around like ragdolls. Big steriod taking bouncers 260 - 300lbs, in-shape, strong fighters - etc. They didn't have a chance. This little bear beat the hell out of anyone that cared to give it a whirl. Same basic comment out of everyone that tried... That little guy has "retard strength and he's not really even trying".
Posted By: Geno Re: OT Local lad battles 2 bears in tree stand - 10/14/10 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
My "throwaway" weapon is $120 9x19 Tokarev. Randy, are you familiar with this concept?

9x19 Tokarev? I guess it was Makarov, Tokarev is 7,62 mm or .300 caliber and its weaker on bear wink
I have been around many black bears and never had a problem!

Once I got between a sow and her new cub just to see what she would do. The sow ran to a nearby tree, climbed to the top and bawled like a baby. The cub stayed near me as I don't think that it was afraid of me or wanted to leave its mother. When I left, the sow climbed down, got her her cub and walked away.

There were many times that I would encounter black bears while hiking, hunting or fishing and there was never a problem! Often the bears were eating berries or oats and were content upon eating a meal.

The impression that I got that they were very docile animals!

I think that these stories about wild animal attacks always happen to Yanks.

Have a nice day,

Franchi

ps. Now my encounters with moose and elk were not pleasant!
I pet a pretty nice pit-bull once...doesn't mean I'd tempt my fate and let my guard down around every one I encounter. Don't think I'd get between a sow and her cub (on purpose) just to see what she would do - but that's just me. Good ole' Yankee common sense goes a long way.

I do agree that a 1200 lb. moose is sca-a-a-r-r-y!

Best regards,
I would much rather run into a black bear then a moose-the cows are worse, on the trail out from the deer stand at night !
Franchi, I think most bears in PA are pretty well conditioned to human encounters?
Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
Franchi, I think most bears in PA are pretty well conditioned to human encounters?

I'd have to agree with the 'conditioning' idea. Wildlife that is actively hunted has a natural and healthy fear of man. When we protected the alligators down South for 20 plus years, the big guys lost all fear of people swimming or boating. They'll follow the boat 'helping' you release Snook in some of the back country bays in the Everglades National Park. Same thing in Billy's Lake in the Okeefinoke. Gator attacks have increased dramatically...Geo
Posted By: EDM Re: OT Local lad battles 2 bears in tree stand - 10/14/10 05:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS

I'd have to agree with the 'conditioning' idea. Wildlife that is actively hunted has a natural and healthy fear of man. Gator attacks have increased dramatically...Geo

Well, gator attacks are not a big thing here in the Wisconsin Northwoods, but bears can be pests. Years ago, when a bear permit was free with a deer license, I used to try to stick a bruin with my bow and arrow, from a tree stand, over stale donuts, with zero success. Back then the bears were mostly taken by guys running them with Plot hounds and the like, and the bears knew that they were being pursued. I sincerely doubt that a bow hunter occasionally sticking one would have sent a message to bears in general to avoid people.

I always considered black bears to be big raccoons, albeit a fired-up coon could do damage to my hounds, but I figured; why hunt bears with a bow and arrow if there wasn't some risk? I had read about Saxon Pope and Arthur Young stalking and taking grizzly bears in Yellowstone Park in the 1920s without back-up guns, and I had seen the mounts at the Museum in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco...so, What the heck?

I hunted bears in the 1980s, albeit black bears, until one overcast evening as I waited, hoping that the bear rustling around in the nearby thicket would come in and put his nose into my donut pile and Viola! a bearskin rug. But no joy, shooting time elapsed, never actually saw the bear, and I climbed down into a dark woods to follow the trail to my vehicle...when I walked into a whole flock of ruffed grouse, that exploded and kept exploding in every direction and I thought that I was going to die, at least of a heart attack.

As it was, bear permits started getting so popular that the WI-DNR began charging for them and then rationed them on a lottery basis, and I lost interest, bear-less in this lifetime. Yet all those bears I never saw while hunting them became very visible around our lake cottage (30 miles south of Duluth/Superior) and even wandering in and about town, and increasingly so to the extent that the TV stations from Madison WI (a short 45 miles north of my farm on the IL/WI state line), regularly report bear sightings in the suburbs of Madison, all of which are documented by cell-phone cameras. The punchline being:

When the Northwoods or other bear habitat gets so overbuilt, as it is now, by urban sprawl and/or vacation lake cottages elbow to elbow, ringing every lake and along every river, the "conditioning" of bears to their human neighbors is an accomplished fact. I doubt whether anyone on this website can claim that he has not one obnoxious neighbor, be it a lawnmower at 0630 on Sunday morning...or you fill in the blank:_______________. Why should we expect bears to be better behaved than the neighbor's pit bull?

The black bears I see in the Northwoods are not bothersome but could be. I have watched a black bear walk within 30 feet of ParkerDog (my yellow Lab) as he sat on the back stoop of our cabin...each aware of the other, but minding his own business. We had a couple of coon-sized cubs up a tree down by the lake with the mother bear guarding the tree and I got within about 20 feet in the canoe (stupid is as stupid does--I forgot to charge the camera battery!) Black bears go with the territory, now. Why two cubs would climb a tree and bite a bow hunter is a puzzlement; why the hunter didn't put an arrow into the first one is an even greater puzzlement. Perhaps more bear hunters using dogs would put the fear of man back in the black bear gene pool...or maybe not.

Perhaps if I live enough I'll have bears gravitating south to my 22-acre forest on the IL side of the state line; the deer stands are in place, and I trust the big raccoons still crave out-of-date Crispy Creams.

Nothing stimulates the imagination more than one person we have never met, out of more than 300,000,000 Americans, getting shark-bit or bear-bit or alligator-bit. Investigation continues. EDM
Posted By: RHD45 Re: OT Local lad battles 2 bears in tree stand - 10/14/10 07:36 PM
I have killed a couple of bears and helped track a few that were wounded by other hunters. I was on my hands and knees following a blood trail through a cedar swamp and when I looked up the wounded bear(by a bow hunter who was color blind and could not see the blood)was about 15 feet away from me just laying there looking at me with its front paws crossed like it hadn't a care in the world. I shot the bear but I always wonder what would have happened if I had not looked up. The bear was only slightly wounded by the arrow and didn't seem too concerned about me at all.Almost all bears want to avoid us but the ones that don't will change your mind about their danger to mankind.
Bears are just like people. Most will allow you to go on your own way but every once in awhile you run into a Jeffry Dahmer or a Ted Bundy.
Posted By: Geno Re: OT Local lad battles 2 bears in tree stand - 10/15/10 10:23 AM
Pack of wolfs is on the highway near Taganrog city, Russia.
I made this photo from video file from camera installed on road police post. All polecemen are hidden in autocars.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OT Local lad battles 2 bears in tree stand - 10/16/10 03:33 PM
We had a belligerent boar at our cabin last year. Did not flinch when two 12 ga slugs fired right over his head at 20 yds. Agent culvert trapped it and when asked where he would release it he said "In my partner's district!" Far less problems this year with a better berry crop.
Originally Posted By: Geno
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

9x19 Tokarev? I guess it was Makarov, Tokarev is 7,62 mm or .300 caliber and its weaker on bear wink

Your (former) allies the Chinese reproduced the Tokarev in 9MM Luger and sold quite a few of them here in the US. Some of the guns were pretty well made, and spme of them were not.

I keep am eye out for a Russian Tokarev for my Collection.
From Fabyka Broni w Radomiu. Quality of this one is equal to commercial FN HiPower of same era.
Ok I admit it might have been made at Zaklady Metalowe Lucznik. grin
Safety-less Soviet era Tula TT-30 or TT-33 w/o import markings will cost you a lot more. wink
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com