doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PALUNC Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/26/10 02:43 PM
Looking for a good stockmaker who can make a new stock and forearm for my Perazzi MX20. What I was looking for in a new stock is to go away from a sporting clay style to a more light field style stock. I really like the ones that come on the Famars. I guess you would describe it like a Woodward style pistol grip.
Anyone have any recomendations that I could start talking to?
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/26/10 02:45 PM
Abe Chaber in Danbury, CT.

(203) 748-1830
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/27/10 02:43 AM
David Wills in Montgomery Alabama. He does absolute BEST quality work.

Adam
Posted By: vh20 Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/27/10 07:08 AM
I second Dave Wills (in fact, I think I recommended him to Adam?).
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/27/10 12:12 PM
Giacomo Sporting has a good reputation for P-guns. And they do custom stocks. http://www.giacomosportingusa.com/about-giacomo-sporting-usa-inc.html
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/27/10 02:37 PM
May I suggest that you look at www.acgg.org, under the members list, for a stocker near you.
Posted By: Chicago Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/27/10 05:19 PM
Many good suggestions here especially ACGG. If you are looking for a stock maker close to home Ken Hurst (engraver) told me a couple of years ago a great stock maker was moving to N.C. from Alaska. He spoke highly of the fellow and you may want to send Ken an e-mail or give him a call. I can't recall the fellows name.

Mike
Thestockdr.com
Posted By: George L. Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/27/10 09:43 PM
I would reccomend Phil Watkins at Jim Kelly's Darlington Gun Works, Darlington, South Carolina. They made the new stock for Bo Whoop if that means anything. Phone Number is (843) 393-3931.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: Tyler Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/29/10 04:04 AM
I have seen Dave Wills' work. A friend of mine took a BSS 30" 12, had Dave stock it and had choke tubes inserted. It is the only SXS at the Westervelt sporting clays shoot held every November. He is often top gun. I highly recommend Wills.
Posted By: guns Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/29/10 10:02 PM
Craig Libhart in Bainbridge Pa, top notch and will work with you regarding design, color or whatever. Great person to deal with and good communication. Keep up the good work Craig! See you at Allentown.
Posted By: Gitano Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/30/10 03:27 AM
Without peer, the Stock Doctor in Oregon
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/30/10 05:15 PM
Mike,

Before you pull out your wallet and start throwing good money at a stockmaker, as him if he has a try gun. If he doesn't, you could end up paying a lot for wood and stocking for a gun that may not fit you at all, and with which you may not be able to hit a thing.

Stock fit is an individual thing, none of us are the same size shape, as the next man.

A try gun will determine in advance the amount of cast off or cast on, of the butt stock, it will also determine the correct drop of the stock and the length of pull. There are average measurements that are used by manufacturers but there isn't one size fits all. If your paying for a new stocking of your shotgun you will want it to fit correctly.

Harry
Posted By: Vol423 Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 09/01/10 01:28 AM
I'll echo the endorsement of Craig Libhard. He's an excellent craftsman and a very nice man. Dewey Vicnair is in Lancaster, PA and is also very good.
Posted By: navyeod Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/05/13 06:12 PM
+ one for David Wills. I am sure there are some out there as good but I have never seen one better. Makes the most beautiful stocks I have ever seen. He has bent several stocks for me and has a couple of guns of mine now he is working on. david auburn,al
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/05/13 07:13 PM
Allow me to insert a negative

Avoid Wenig like the plague

have a day

Dr.WtS
Posted By: Doverham Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/05/13 10:00 PM
Another vote for the Stock Doctor.

Rich Cole is another option - he has inletted Perazzi blanks on his website that he will finish to your dimensions for something like $1900. I was very happy with the restocking job he did on a Beretta for me.
Posted By: tut Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/05/13 11:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Vol423
I'll echo the endorsement of Craig Libhard. He's an excellent craftsman and a very nice man. Dewey Vicnair is in Lancaster, PA and is also very good.

I believe Dewey closed down his operation last year.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/06/13 12:01 AM
His website is still up and operating
Posted By: Montana Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/09/13 11:50 PM
I am not certain of his timeline but you should at least look at what Toby Leeds in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin has done in shaping o/u stocks to more closely mimic the diamond wrists and thinner combs of English guns. He has an excellent take on a POW grip you might like to consider.
Posted By: GJZ Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/10/13 12:14 AM
Yup. I strongly recommend his work.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/10/13 11:50 AM
The OP was three years ago. I'm guessing the P-gun is in someone's shop by now.
Posted By: tut Re: Need a name of a good stockmaker - 08/10/13 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Doverham
His website is still up and operating

He sent out the following earlier this year:

Vicknair Restorations
Dewey Vicknair, Gunsmith d 565 Oak Lane - Lititz, PA 17543 d 717-626-4226
http://www.VicknairRestorations.com

January 01, 2013
Dear Friends and Clients:

Effective March 31, 2013 Vicknair Restorations will cease business operation.
I did not come to this decision lightly, many factors were weighed and in the
end, regardless of how much I might enjoy my work, I simply can not afford to remain in
business. The financial cost of things like taxes, health insurance and liability
insurance and the physical costs of constant exposure to lead, solvents and other toxic
chemicals, combined with the general stress of dealing with paperwork, regulations,
taxes, audits, liability exposure, etc. leave no other option when considered logically.
Having to be personally responsible for every phase of business allows less
time than I would like for actually performing gunsmithing work.

In these final months, I will endeavor to finish - to my usual standards - those
projects that have been started. Any guns that I have not yet started will be returned.
Return shipping will be at the customer's cost and should be arranged via
e-mail. If you will be picking up in-person, e-mail would also be the best contact
method.

In closing, I would like to sincerely thank everyone for the opportunity to help
preserve these great old guns.

Dewey

PS. Maybe he is out of the gunsmithing business and still doing restocking.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com