doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RMC Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 01:13 AM
Not posting to be critical. On GunBroker this dealer seems to have SXS's by the millions and displays nicely with descriptions. I can not afford his reserves, and can't remember seeing anyone bid on a gun. I think I recall seeing him posted under a different name years ago. An LC Smith A-2 was posted for years as I recall. Just curious if anyone has made a purchase or dealings. I see some interesting guns but never email as I would never be in the game to purchase. Again, not critical, just can't believe the volume of guns and nothing seems to move. I have a mind set to scroll by any of his easily recognized listings. Getting tougher as his inventory is huge. I stopped getting Gun List years ago when the Wildwood guys had every other listing with high prices. Randy
Posted By: Replacement Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 02:28 AM
His photos used to be way too dark, so I suspected he had something to hide. Pics are better now, but I don't even look at his stuff because the prices are always out of line with my view of reality. Emailed him a couple years ago on something, was not impressed with the response.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 02:36 AM
All Mike Jensen's guns appear to be very heavily worn, pictures are lacking for details IMO......emailed him a few times and was not impressed with his response........his prices appear to be Kansas museum pricing.......
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 02:43 AM
A Tobin #40, with it's opening lever WELL left of center, and a forend that is dog chewed IS NOT worth $1200. Note the guy with the Richards marked Tobin can't get a hit at $200.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176949855

Tobin gun, marked Richards,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=178348372

Anyone who remarks about a Tobin's "Great reputation for quality" is completely delusional-every one of the guns listed on gunbroker right now has the same lever way left of center, and would rattle like a ditch diggers teeth in January, with the forend removed. LOTS of them, most of them, fall into that catagory.

Let's not even get into the swivel Darne...

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 02:51 AM
Some months ago I visited with Mike via phone about a gun. Had a very nice conversation and he clearly answered my questions and was very polite. I was left with the impression that he would seriously consider any bids. Seems to me if he's willing to take substantially less for his guns he'd go ahead and price 'em where they'd draw interest.
Posted By: Brian Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 03:43 AM
Did he get the leftovers from Cape Outfitters???
Posted By: gunny Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 03:53 AM
mabe he is related to Dick and Craig in Gun Digest they have high prices and monopilize the listings
Posted By: James M Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 03:58 AM
I've looked at a few of Mickees "auctions" and drawn the same conclusions. His remind me of a guy on Gun Broker or Auction Arms whose name escapes me(Sly?) that has been posting the same tired British doubles with the same outrageous prices for what seems to be years with no apparent sales.
Jim
Posted By: Replacement Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 04:16 AM
I don't look at Sly's stuff either. I think Mikee has much better guns, and it seems that Sly is still hiding things about his. They are both a complete waste of time, as far as I am concerned.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 04:28 AM
There is always "Ed Good's" aka -ed1- and his fine used "torched guns" to look at.........?............In fact, he keeps posting his stuff here asking stupid questions that he already has the answer for, trying to 'fish' for suckers..and pick up some free 'press'........
Posted By: ed good Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 04:47 AM
ho hum
Posted By: clayws Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 06:11 PM
I've had dealings with Mike on several occasions, and find him to be honest, straightforward and easy to deal with. The first gun I bought from him was very nice, but the stock dimensions didn't suit me. He took it back, no questions asked. On another occasion I bought a gun from Mike that I was very pleased with, but I took delivery of it just before leaving on a trip, and didn't discover until several weeks later that the ejectors didn't work properly. Even though the customary 3-day inspection period had long since passed, Mike sent me a check to cover the cost of the repairs: again, no questions asked. As for Mike's prices, don't be put off: he is always willing to listen to reasonable offers. In short, I highly recommend him as a seller. (He is also a good guy, and volunteers his time and money at humanitarian crises around the world.)

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 06:32 PM
Maybe Ed should start sending Dave 10 bucks every time he trot-lines on here. cool
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 07:15 PM
In doing research on the Syracuse line of L.C. Smith hammerless guns, Mike had a few posted and I wanted to ask him a few questions. I emailed him and said what I was doing and he gave me serial numbers of past Syracuse guns he had owned, plus the grades, and gauges and said that if he could be of further assistance to let him know.
I found him to be extremely pleasant and I would have no problem buying from him.
Also as stated he is a very generous man with his time and money and does a lot of voluntary work.
Posted By: James M Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 08:44 PM
If this Mike is all the things some of you are saying and has good guns to boot why doesn't he start them all at $1.00 and have a real auction? I've never noticed good condition guns going too cheap even when started with a very low opening bid so the "He has to protect his investment" argument one usually hears really doesn't wash with me.
Jim.
Posted By: Hansli Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 08:50 PM
Obviously not all sellers want a real auction. They would prefer to sell at their price and not what some guys in a particular week want to pay. This is why these sites offer several formats. Buy or don't, it's your choice.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/12/10 09:21 PM
I'd as soon a guy list a gun at the price he wants.
Posted By: ed good Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 07/13/10 02:57 AM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I'd as soon a guy list a gun at the price he wants.

joe: gunsamerica.com is the place for you!
Posted By: Mike Jensen Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 08/31/15 03:06 PM
Jim, have you ever talked with me or made me an offer on anything? Everything is negotiable and my pricing is what I would like to get for the guns I sell. I seldom get what I'm asking and we all feel better about our purchase when we can talk someone down a bit. I leave room to take a trade in my starting price. I am a unabashed capitalist and an honest one. I buy and resell to make a profit and enjoy doubles at the same time. My preference is to price my guns somewhere near what I need so we have a real starting point instead of playing an endless bid to the reserve game. I accept about 50% of the offers made and nearly all the reasonable ones. Thanks. Mike
Posted By: skeettx Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 08/31/15 03:07 PM
Mike,

Good to see you on the site even though this thread is over five years OLD

Welcome smile
Please post often
Mike
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 08/31/15 03:16 PM
I shop mostly on GunBroker. I like the auction format and I have made direct offers after an auction on guns I like.

One thing I have noticed is the quality of Items Mike Jensen (Mikeej99) has for sale. He somehow seems to zero in on the guns that interest me. His asking prices are steep.

I wanted (still do) a Wilkes Barre to finish up my American classics. He had one on Gunbroker for years. I bid on it and contacted Mike directly to make an offer. We could not come to an agreement but his responses were courteous. I'd have been happy to deal with him...Geo
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 08/31/15 03:41 PM
I dealt with Mike on a sxs recently. We came to an agreement on a shipped price. The gun was listed as 30" and when they arrived they had shrunk to 28". Mike was apologetic and refunded the full purchase price and shipping one way.

I'd give it another shot if Mike had something I was interested in.

For what its worth,
Bill
Ithaca1
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 08/31/15 05:13 PM
Yes, welcome to the BBS Mike. You have a lot of knowledge and integrity. Please visit often and participate in our discussions.

Hope you ave a great bird season!
Posted By: keith Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 08/31/15 09:07 PM
I just wish sites like Gunbroker would charge an ever increasing fee every time a gun is re-listed without selling because of an unrealistic reserve or opening bid. Then they could make some money to operate the website from the sucker fishermen, and at the same time, they could reduce their fees for sellers who actually are there to sell guns. That would most likely attract more serious sellers and drive off the ones who waste our time by relisting the same guns for years on end without garnering a single bid.

In all fairness, I have noted that Mikeej99 does state he will entertain offers. But I have often wondered how this might jeopardize me under Gunbroker policy for off-auction dealing. Does Gunbroker get their cut when a side deal is negotiated? Or does a gun just quietly disappear from the listings?
Posted By: old colonel Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 08/31/15 09:53 PM
I have brought and traded several guns with Mike and always found him a good egg.

I admit i do not always agree with his write-ups, but that said in talking to him he has never mislead me and has stood by his stuff

And yes he is a collector too and the guns he does not sell are fabulous
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 12:01 AM
My first dealings with Mike were through email, I was collecting serial numbers for L.C. Smith Syracuse hammer and hammerless guns. Mike sent me all serial numbers and information about the guns he had and guns he had owned previously.

As he stated make an offer.

Besides being honest he is a great humanitarian in times of need worldwide.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 12:06 AM
"Does Gunbroker get their cut when a side deal is negotiated? Or does a gun just quietly disappear from the listings?"

It could go both ways. If the seller wishes to accept your offer then you buy it at the price listed but only pay the price negotiated. Gun Broker will still get their percentage.
Naturally the other way they get nothing.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 12:58 AM
How do you do it?
Posted By: LLOYDB21 Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 01:07 AM
Hi Mike

I'm from Maryland and was in Kansas City ,the engineers office was in Olathe so I spent a couple of hours in the shop looking at the stock.I can say it's well worth the trip and I will be back.Parkers, Parkers, Parkers and everything else that we all collect. just wish you would travel east to the spring or fall southern

Lloyd
Posted By: GMCS Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 01:19 AM
I have bought from Mike and He was straight forward and honest.
If you speak with him about the gun he will describe the gun and answer questions honestly. He Knows enough about the guns not to sell one below value. If you don't like the price there are plenty of other guns out there.
Posted By: GaryW Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 03:11 AM
Spoke with Mr. Jensen a couple of times concerning some of his guns and was impressed with his knowledge and up front answers. I pretty well know a con artist and shyster when I see one and Mike is neither. A real gentleman.
Having said that, I have not purchased any guns from him because I always seem to fall for one of Professor Joe Wood's cast offs that he has fallen out of love with. Sniffing around in Joe's Troll House always costs me money....so far I'm out $6.72 just in the cheap cigars I give him.
Posted By: keith Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 11:39 AM
I still wish Gunbroker charged him a fee every time a gun was listed that did not sell because of a high reserve or starting bid. I wish the fee was even higher when the reserve or starting bid was so high that the gun is relisted over and over without attracting a single bid. I agree with what has been said about the "Dick and Craig Show" which ruined Gunlist.

Is Gunlist which later became Gun Digest the Magazine still in business? I have not even seen one on a news stand for a long time. I hope the publisher got a lot in ad revenue from Dick and Craig, because it certainly cost him a lot of his circulation and subscribers. I'd like to have the money they spent on mailings just to try to get former subscribers to come back.
Posted By: Nudge Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 12:14 PM
Mike Jensen,

I don't know you, have never reached out to you. But like everyone else, I have seen your listings on GB, as you have terriffic inventory.

Your response is that of a good guy. But here's my problem, and why I have never even asked a question of you...YOUR PICTURES.

If you're an honest, fair dealing capitalist -- and I always give someone the benefit of the doubt in the first place, especially if they are willing to stand up to scrutiny, as you've shown in posting here -- then WHY do your listings feature pictures which are so painfully "arty?"

The lighting is typically horror movie dim, and sometimes it seems like you've used a colored shade to bath the gun in a specific hue.

When I see pics like that it's really difficult presume the gun is being honestly represented. And like other guys on this terrific forum, while I may not be an expert's expert, I still rely upon my own eyes first and foremost when assessing a gun.

So if you ARE a solid guy (and I have no evidence to the contrary)...then would love to see you start posting your listing pics "in broad daylight."

As I said, you have fantastic inventory. And in terms of pricing I feel anyone can ask whatever one likes. And I HAVE noted you typically state "make me an offer." But being open to a deal comes after the exchange of information. And first and always, MOST of what I need to know about a gun I should satisfy with my eyes. And this is where, to date, you've not attracted my interest.

I hope you take this more as 'constructive' than 'critical.'

- Nudge
Posted By: ed good Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 12:37 PM
ho hum...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 01:07 PM
Mike,
Why is this ad marked with "Let the grade debate begin"?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=504804317

There is no debate needed. The gun is a P18 grade Darne, built between the wars. In the age of the world wide web, it wouldn't take much to figure out what you are selling.
Lots of dealers will give you the "I don't know what grade it is" BS, but, the thing I always notice is they have no problem advertising it as the highest grade they ever heard of, usually calling something that isn't a V, a V.
And trying to get the highest price they ever witnessed on a V.

There is a huge problem with a Darne that is cracked through the wrist. While the crack may look "tight" it soon won't be if the gun is used. That is because there is a wood screw that holds the wood to the action, and it won't be tight if the wood is cracked. Trying to tighten it will make the crack spread. Leaving it loose and shooting it will also make the crack spread. Sometimes it can be glued, but, I know of a lot more failures than success stories in that endeavor. A gun built by the Bruchets, after they took over, has that little design flaw fixed, with a conventional through bolt, a 10mm hex head bolt is under the buttplate.
Wood problems on a Darne are a deal breaker. To me, anyway.
If you are interested in hearing what is wrong with the Tobin, the one with the lever way left of center, let me know. Some guys would believe that it is just off face, and it might be, but, it is usually way worse than that.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 02:37 PM
Tough neighborhood for a gun dealer!...Geo
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Tough neighborhood for a gun dealer!...Geo

Sometimes the truth hurts. But, it is still the truth.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: eightbore Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 08:33 PM
I have had the "pictures" discussion with this fellow, probably two years ago. He responded with a curt answer that his pictures were "just fine".. They are not "just fine" and I would not buy a half smoke from him.
Posted By: gunut Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 08:47 PM
everything is perfectly legal......but ethically lacking.....my generation call them shysters....
Posted By: old colonel Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 10:08 PM
Mike does answer questions, and he does take returns.

I am sure you are right onthe Darne, few of us, probably including Mike, has your specific knowledge in Darne

Compared to most gunbroker he has more pics and if flawed they usually tell the story and if not he will take another if you need more data. His descriptions are better than most others.

I can pick any listing apart if I try. Yes his are not prefect, but i remain a satisfied
customer

He mostly deals with the low and worn out end of SxS and i wish i could find some of the odd dogs he turns up at the price he likely paid.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/01/15 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: old colonel
Mike does answer questions, and he does take returns.

I know Mike has one gun I look at all the time. Its a 20ga damascus Flues. Just can't justify 2.5k for a damascus Flues 1-1/2 that in my opinion should be $500.00-$700.00.

Didn't want to call, make the offer, offend him and get hung up on. smile If it were priced more reasonable I would own it already.

YMMV
Bill
Posted By: CJF Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/02/15 01:42 AM
I am happy that Gunbroker does not charge to relist an auction. However I wish there was an option to filter out auctions you have already viewed.

Without checking my records I can't say for certain, but I am nearly sure I sold a gun to Mike via GB. An A-grade Fox. No complaints on the transaction. Never saw that piece relisted by Mike either.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/02/15 10:10 PM
I think we have decided what kind of seller Mikee is. As the recent poster stated, he offers $500 guns for $2500 and hopes for an offer close to $2500. And he uses 1890 pictures to attract the customers. I have had the conversation with him and he failed the credibility test. He doesn't have a feedback on Gunbroker more recent than mid May, but has 539 items for sale.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 12:38 AM
Bill in all fairness, his feedback is 100% positive for 439 transactions.
I mainly look at the L.C. Smiths, and from his description and pictures, I can see what I want to see.

If you know what the gun is worth, then you don't bid on it. Don't forget, this is a business he is running and not a hobby.

I'm sure that some fault can be found in everyone.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 12:53 AM
David,
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Mike at all. The transaction we had, he handled great. I'd buy from him again. Think I'll head to GB for another peek at that damascus Flues. It's EZ on my eyes. smile

Sorry if I came across wrong.

Bill
Posted By: old colonel Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 01:30 AM
Originally Posted By: CJF
I am happy that Gunbroker does not charge to relist an auction. However I wish there was an option to filter out auctions you have already viewed.

Without checking my records I can't say for certain, but I am nearly sure I sold a gun to Mike via GB. An A-grade Fox. No complaints on the transaction. Never saw that piece relisted by Mike either.

It probably went into his collection, i know for fact his pre 1913 LC's are fabulous, and he does not list those he collects.

I restate my earlier opinion founded on multiple transactions, he is a good guy.

Yes i admit he lists allot of guns, many of which can be physically handled at the "Olathe gun shop" and if they aren't he has made an appointment and met me with whatever I requested. Yes his prices are steep, but that said this is the market place.

On this board when guns are listed, people want bargains, there is nothing wrong with that. Some of the emails I have gotten while listing were rather amusing, even when i was selling at an already cut rate.

The marketplace will either agree to Mike's price or not. If I am unwilling to pay it, so goes life.

I do owe Mike one big one, my affliction with Louis Christophes, by Jules Bury. From that one 16ga he sold me, at a very good price I note, and with clear notation to me as to what the good and the faults were, I now have four others and still looking for two more.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 11:22 AM
Bill, Ithaca1, I was not referring to you, sorry, I was referring to eightbore, also Bill.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 12:30 PM
Sorry. I don't get it. If this man had a store in your town, most of you would not go in. Why is the internet any different?

He is apparently happy with his program.

If you can do it better, spend your time and money and show him how you would do it
Posted By: eightbore Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 05:34 PM
Tudurgs, when I contacted this fellow to make him aware of his bad photographs, I was trying to help him, not chastise him. I had no interest in his guns, only in his success. I did, as you suggest, show him how I would do it. He was unwilling to accept my advice. A dealer with 529 guns to offer and only one feedback in four months is not in the internet gun business. He is trolling for victims. To comment to another poster, if his storefront was in my town, I would visit. However, I would expect to see the same old crap every time I visited. If he can't sell anything to a worldwide internet market, how would he sell anything in Olathe, Kansas? He is what is known on the internet as a "Troll". As one poster said, how do we eliminate his items from our searches? I would like to know also.
Posted By: keith Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 06:23 PM
He certainly has the right to relist guns at stratospheric reserve prices ad infinitum, or until Gunbroker changes their listing policies.

As with the Dick and Craig show that was the ruination of Gun List, our only choices are to totally stop looking at everything, or to have to wade through all of the sucker bait. There are no filters to eliminate guns that have been relisted for years from our search criteria. There is no penalty or fee assessed by Gunbroker to discourage so-caller sellers from dangling things out there for years in the hope of snagging a sucker. Mikeej99 is hardly the only one who does this. But he is one of the most prominent in the arena of doubleguns. I've voiced my opinion about this annoying and time consuming practice to Gunbroker in the past. Maybe if more Gunbroker patrons did the same, something would change. I still like the idea of an ever increasing fee for relisted guns after a reasonable number of listings, say two or three. The increased revenue from that could be used to reduce the fees charged to serious sellers which might encourage even more people to use Gunbroker as a vehicle to sell. What is the downside to that?
Posted By: Kyrie Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 07:28 PM
My $0.02 worth:

I do a lot of buying from the on-line sites like Gun Broker, and mikeej99 does some of the best pictures out there. He’s one of the few sellers who put up sharp photos that show what I need to see to make an offer/no offer decision.

His descriptions are clear, concise, and more accurate than most I see.

He usually asks top dollar for what he sells. When he buys, he is also willing to pay top dollar for what he wants. He’s able to sit on a gun until he gets what he wants for it. All of this is his business, and he can do exactly as he pleases.

I’ve bought guns from him, and will likely buy more. He has always met all the commitments he has made to me.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 07:59 PM
Yup, one gun out of 529 in the last four months. And, Kyrie, you are absolutely wrong about the pictures. They are terrible. Yesterday, I bought a gun on Gunbroker from a seller who didn't know his ace from first base, but his pictures were so good I didn't even call him about the gun, I just bid and bought it.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 08:08 PM
GunBroker and Auction arms are auctions. For ridiculous prices, go to Guns International. I know of more than one dealer who has had guns on there for over two years.
Posted By: 1cdog Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 08:30 PM
Originally Posted By: JDW
GunBroker and Auction arms are auctions. For ridiculous prices, go to Guns International. I know of more than one dealer who has had guns on there for over two years.

Sounds like Steve Barnett........
Posted By: Kyrie Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore

---snip---
And, Kyrie, you are absolutely wrong about the pictures. They are terrible.
---snip---

So you know more about what I can see in pictures than I do? That's weird :-)
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: JDW

Some of Mikeej99's have been there >6 years.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 09:30 PM
OK, OK Mikeej99 has the right to conduct business as he sees fit
If you do not like his pictures, prices, pieces, and other P words,
do not buy it, but he has the right to conduct business as he sees fit.

Sure glad hunting season is here !!

How is that for an attitude?
Soon we will have to get Doublegun to vote on what can or can not be placed on GunBroker. cry
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 09:45 PM
Troll? Really? Seems to me the man enjoys owning all those guns and doesn't want to part with them unless he gets an offer too good to refuse. His guns, his prerogative to ask and get whatever he can for them. I'm not seeing harm in this.

If seeing his guns offered continuously for a long time ranks as a problem, life must be good pretty darn good.

Jay
Posted By: keith Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 09:49 PM
Is it accurate to call a gun "Minty" when the barrels are patina, the buttstock is scratched, the triggerguard and forearm escutcheons have almost zero blue remaining, and the case colors are 50% at best, and completely gone on the underside of the action? The auction description says 90%+ Case Colors. Really? He admits this "Minty" gun has an ill fitting replacement buttplate.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=504006904

I'd like to know so that I can use the same condition criteria with a clear conscience when the time comes to sell some of my guns. Perhaps this gun was wiped down with peppermint oil, hence the "Minty" description???

I wonder also, how many here would be content to attend a farm, auto, machinery, or art auction where the same items were put on the block for years without selling?
Posted By: PA24 Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: keith
Is it accurate to call a gun "Minty" when the barrels are patina, the buttstock is scratched, the triggerguard and forearm escutcheons have almost zero blue remaining, and the case colors are 50% at best, and completely gone on the underside of the action? The auction description says 90%+ Case Colors. Really? He admits this "Minty" gun has an ill fitting replacement buttplate.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=504006904

I'd like to know so that I can use the same condition criteria with a clear conscience when the time comes to sell some of my guns. Perhaps this gun was wiped down with peppermint oil, hence the "Minty" description???

I wonder also, how many here would be content to attend a farm, auto, machinery, or art auction where the same items were put on the block for years without selling?

Ahhh, a poster with a brain..........and good eye sight.

1.)mikeej99 makes ed good look like the Salvation Army on pricing.

2.)mikeej99 has the worst pictures on gun broker next to "sly". Dark, one sided views only etc.

3.)mikeej99's phony props and pool table with billiard balls and books doesn't fool anybody with a brain, all b.s.

4.)BUT....there is an ass for every seat...so knock yourself out.

I called the guy once and he was extremely rude....and that was over six years ago....I would not buy anything from this seller.

Best,

Posted By: canvasback Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 11:49 PM
It's true anytime someone goes to make a purchase. Buyer beware.

I have no personal experience with mikeej99 except that I long ago decided I could not make an informed decision based on the photos and information in his ads. I saw many guns over the years that attracted my attention but none with photos that gave me enough information to pursue it more.

I could care less about his asking prices or how many times he relists. He seems to be happy doing business that way, more power to him....I just expect few of his customer base will be regular readers of this forum.

The best defense for bad pricing, bad photos and misleading ads is to be informed. That's why I come here. To be informed.
Posted By: ed good Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/03/15 11:54 PM
mikee an i have done some deals...a gentleman to do business with...

perhaps some here should consider that not everyone qualifies as a potential customer...

oh, and the salvation army is one of my favorite charities...
Posted By: canvasback Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/04/15 12:47 AM
I still wish Gunbroker charged him a fee every time a gun was listed that did not sell because of a high reserve or starting bid. I wish the fee was even higher when the reserve or starting bid was so high that the gun is relisted over and over without attracting a single bid.

I'm kinda curious as to why you care? Seems to me we should be able to do what we want provided no one else suffers from coercion as a result. And Mike is not forcing you to do anything.

I don't really understand the tendency to tell...no, want to regulate how others run their businesses....either Gunbroker or Mike.

I don't mean to single you out Keith, it was just an easy quote to illustrate my point. If you don't like what he has to offer, move on down the aisle.
Posted By: ed good Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/04/15 03:42 PM
back: ditto
Posted By: keith Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/04/15 04:48 PM
Canvasback, Gunbroket obviously runs their site as they wish. So did Gun List, and most subscribers jumped ship or, as you say, moved on.

I enjoy perusing the wares on Gunbroker, and have bought more than a few with satisfactory results. But I don't relish the time I waste wading through a multitude of overprice reserves and inaccurately described guns. You have similar things even at gun shows... with sellers putting a 95% condition price on a beater gun. At least there I get the satisfaction of pissing them off by telling them what I think.

If there were a lot more sellers like mikeej99 on Gunbroker, it would soon go the way of Gun List... a complete waste of time. I think my ideas for listing fees would make it better. You are free to disagree. There will always be gun sellers who misrepresent condition and value. I just want to know if these people who think mikeej99 is a stand-up guy would feel the same about me or you if we advertised a 50% fading case colored gun as "Minty"? Or will I be called a shyster like Ed Good for describing a torch colored gun as a probable Del Grego restoration?

I know you have a lead foot James. You don't let any grass grow under your tires. If mikeej99 was hogging the passing lane and driving under the speed limit, would it bother you? Would you like to take drivers like that off the road or charge them a higher toll for slowing everyone else down? Now do you see?
Posted By: ed good Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/04/15 08:03 PM
"Or will I be called a shyster like Ed Good for describing a torch colored gun as a probable Del Grego restoration?"

a shyster, no...a mean, uncouth lout who continually expresses false claims and accusations on this fine forum...certainly.
Posted By: ed good Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/04/15 08:11 PM
and as for gunbroker and their policies...i have been a buyer and seller on gunbroker since 2001...i currently have over 1500 feedbacks on that fine web site.

gunbroker is not a perfect place to do gun business...but, it certainly is in the top five internet based marketing outlets for firearms and related accessories.

some here who appear to be buyers only are quick to criticize gunbroker, those who sell there and their policies...perhaps one should experience what it is like to be a long time seller on gunbroker before one is so critical.
Posted By: keith Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/04/15 09:58 PM
There was a Gunbroker seller called ed1 who had a torch colored Parker and said it was a probable Del Grego restoration. This is the same ed1 who has listed guns with the breech not quite closed so that the top lever appears right of center. This same ed1 has listed many torch colored guns and described their psychedelic burned bull's-eyes as being proper factory colors. This same ed1 tried to list some guns in the for sale section here, but had the listings pulled when he couldn't give Dave Weber a straight and satisfactory answer about whether he was a dealer and what his return policy was.

Leave it to Ed Good to stick up and defend innacurate descriptions by gun dealers. And leave it to Ed to be critical of those of us who notice and point it out. Gun dealer Ed Good has also started another thread in Misfires questioning if we shouldn't have less guns in the U.S.

I don't care for the multi-year relistings of guns by some sellers on Gunbroker, but at least those guys are not anti-gun trolls like Ed Good.
Posted By: ed good Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/04/15 10:22 PM
"a shyster, no...a mean, uncouth lout who continually expresses false claims and accusations on this fine forum...certainly."

add boorish...
Posted By: Ithaca16 Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/04/15 11:17 PM
Some year's ago I bought a remington 1889 grade 3 16ga from mikeej99. It had 4 wooden plugs from one side of the grip to the other and 3 or 4 screws in the grip area. Two screws were hidden under the trigger guard one of them was 3 inches long. I was not told about this repair and it was not in the pictures. The other pictures were very dark. He did refund my money,one month later.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/05/15 02:27 AM
Canvasback

I know you have a lead foot James. You don't let any grass grow under your tires. If mikeej99 was hogging the passing lane and driving under the speed limit, would it bother you? Would you like to take drivers like that off the road or charge them a higher toll for slowing everyone else down? Now do you see?

Haha! That analogy brought a smile to my face, Keith. You are right. I can't stand people (that's an extreme sentiment, I'm exaggerating) that needlessly slow things down. But I also just drove 180 miles to the cottage and really, I only averaged 20 km over the 80 km per hour limit. My thinking is the 80 km limit is stupid. But I just drive around the slow guys.

But the point I'm trying to make is that in my old age, I'm slowing down. And becoming less prone to tell others how to behave as long as they aren't forcing me to behave in some way (King, are you listening? Lol).

Not being an American, I'm not too familiar with the downward trajectory of gunlist. But I do know that when stores fail to satisfy their customers, other more savvy retailers take their place. That will be true for the Internet as well.

The gun sales/auction site that does the best job of matching buyers and sellers will survive. Got a better idea? Set up your own site. It's the free market, baby!
Posted By: old colonel Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/06/15 02:26 PM

I just want to know if these people who think mikeej99 is a stand-up guy would feel the same about me or you if we advertised a 50% fading case colored gun as "Minty"?

I agree that on both gunsinternational and gun broker too many guns stay forever. If you watch some of the international sites like NaturaBuy it is the same. The amount of unsold chaff is a fact of life and sellers are everybit entitled to list as we are to ignore. As to pricing, the fact they are unsold speaks for itself.

Ok Keith you have on your point in one respect, Mike's description are on more than one gun are a bit much. There is a bit of blarney. I have not taken the time to check through all of them to get an exact count. That said as a defender of Mike I still have to report every deal I have made with him has left me happy. I have met him on more than one occasion and like the guy. He allows an inspection period and He takes returns.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 09/06/15 04:35 PM
"I get the satisfaction of pissing them off by telling them what I think."
Sheese - You need to get out more.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/08/22 01:13 AM
Nice article on Mike in the January Field and Stream.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/affordable-side-by-side-shotguns/
Posted By: Mills Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/08/22 02:49 PM
Good article. Love the pictures especially
Posted By: canvasback Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/08/22 03:45 PM
I read that article a month or so ago. IMHO it answered a lot of questions about what the guy is doing. I'm sure, in person, I could find lots I might buy at a decent price. But his photos still suck. LOL
Posted By: ed good Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/08/22 03:47 PM
wonderful article about mikee an his gons...
Posted By: CJF Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/08/22 06:03 PM
Thank you for posting the article. I confess I also get frustrated by his listings on GB getting in the way of me finding new and interesting old doubles that aren't yet priced at retail. Reading the piece humanizes it all.
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/08/22 06:22 PM
Thanks for the article. Actually quite interesting.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/08/22 06:45 PM
I’d venture to say all the guns in the article are his personal guns and not the ones on gunbroker. The pictures certainly are better.

I just got back into shooting about 5 years ago. Guns international was eye opening. After many years away it was amazing the amount of guns out there. There wasn’t anything like gi back then

That being said it is disappointing that so many guns are still there only to be relisted as new today. There are some dealers I never look at because they are so overpriced
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/08/22 07:17 PM
Does Mike sell guns? He has been on Gunbroker forever. 700 feedbacks and more than half are for buying not selling. That’s very slow sales. His inventory seems to be there forever, never changing much. I do recall about five years ago he lowered prices on some guns to increase interest, make him a offer even. Made no difference that I could tell. Full disclosure, I have bought a total of one gun from him and it was an easy transaction.
Posted By: Mills Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/08/22 07:54 PM
Other than a Fox I admired, most everything else has been on there a while. He has one gun that I like but I would be willing to pay about half his asking price. If my best offer is less than 80% the asking price, I just move on. Fun to look though
Posted By: ed good Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/08/22 08:27 PM
if you really really like it...an you gotta have it, then pay tooo much...life is too short to do otherwise...

here is a link to my latest happiness generating extravagance...

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...arrels.cfm?gun_id=101835913&cdn_bp=1
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/10/22 03:13 PM
Would you please post in this most interesting thread the e-mail address for Mr. Jensen's gun store in Olathe, KS? Thank you. RWTF
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Mikeej99 ?? Anyone........... - 03/10/22 03:27 PM
olathegunshop@gmail.com

Joe was the manager last time I was there.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com