doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bavarianbrit Just bought a Purdey. - 06/14/10 05:31 PM
Not worth the waste of ink.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/14/10 05:57 PM
WOW! I feel very happy for you! Post pictures, if you can and we'll smile with you.
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/14/10 06:44 PM
Martin:
With a kit such as you describe, it may be well worth having Purdey check their records for the original owner and specifications. There may be some fascinating provenance there. Perhaps you know something already...

Best, Kensal
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/14/10 06:53 PM
Posted By: lagopus Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/14/10 06:55 PM
I think Purdeys will tell you everything except the name of the original owner. I may stand corrected on that one if someone else knows better. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/14/10 07:04 PM
Lagopus:
According to my friends at Purdeys, they will even disclose the name of the original owner -- as long as that person is deceased. I'm willing to bet that whomever ordered the gun in 1870 has long since attained that condition... and that Purdeys would concur.

Best, Kensal
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/14/10 07:57 PM
It shouldn't need saying, but just in case, only use Black Powder as a propellant in your ammunition.

Bye the way, congratulations.

Harry
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/14/10 07:59 PM
I'd bet it was Nitro proofed when it was sleeved.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/14/10 08:26 PM
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 03:09 AM
HE, you might note that there has been a good deal of research on use of nitro powder to duplicate BP loads. Pressure being the issue for the action and barrels, high quality loads have been developed for both commercial loads and for reloaders. Both are now commonly available and commonly in use. Most of the "common knowledge" about BP pressure has turned out to be generally mostly wrong. The pressure vs time and pressure vs displacement curves for nitro and BP are not nearly as different as we had been lead to believe. Mostly, it is a matter of using loads of known low pressure.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 03:36 AM
You can be sure it will give you more of a buzz than a girl born in 1870. I know some guys prefer mature women but 140 is a little old fer me.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 03:44 AM
Originally Posted By: GregSY
You can be sure it will give you more of a buzz than a girl born in 1870. I know some guys prefer mature women but 140 is a little old fer me.

I have one born March 6, 1866 and I can assure you that she does give me quite a buzz. She's one sexy "mature woman". I can assure you that older women are quite sexy - especially when they're 144.
Posted By: FHALZ@AOL.COM Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 04:48 AM
I am lucky to have two. The first one was made in 1873 snap action hammer with the original case that I love to shoot skeet with and I just got a single barrel trap model that was made in 1923 that I shoot trap with. It was the second trap model made. These are great guns to shoot but I always shoot low pressure shells so I don't beat this beatiful guns up. I did contact Purdey about both guns and they e-mail me back all the info on these guns they had. Great people and great guns. Thanks, Frank
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 09:50 AM
This gun sold at Southams last week and it is not a Purdey it is a fake and the letter supplied is for the serial number of the real purdey with this number but it is not this gun.

It is a cheap Birmingham gun with a fake serial number on it. The auctioner did say there was some doubt about the veracity and 'you pays your money you takes your choice'. I pointed out to him that it was a fake well in advance, as did one or two other people.

Bidding blind at auctions based on an auctioneer's description is a risky business!

BTW there were some very pretty hammer guns in this sale - made £680 and £1200 respectively. No wall thicknesses provided and no gauges in the room. I measured the walls - 13 thou!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 11:13 AM
Is the auctioneer going to make it right ?
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 01:26 PM
Nothing to make right on the thin walls Joe, sold as seen and perfectly legal.

Regarding a gun sold as a Purdey but clearly not a Purdey, murky waters there. If the auctioneer did not actually claim it was genuine and described it as a gun with Purdey written on it, n a box, with a letter from Purdey about the Purdey gun of the same number, hard to say.

Of course I am biased, as I get paid to stop people making these mistakes. But my view is that buying a gun you have not either checked yourself (assuming you are competent) or getting it done by someone else, is foolhardy.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 02:02 PM
WOW!!! What a let down! If the auctioneer did say there was some doubt about the gun (and Small Bore is in a position to know, since he is in the business of advising buyers and says he told the auctioneer, as did other experts) then this sale clearly becomes a Caveat Emptor situation (actually, they all are, but this one would have a large banner across it) and the buyer/bidders should understand the consequences.

Hopefully, when the gun arrives, it'll still be one the buyer can enjoy for what it is, and there will not have been a total loss.
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 02:06 PM
There is a photo of the gun on the AUCTION NEWS page of my website if anyone wants to have a peek.
Posted By: Hansli Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 02:06 PM
Hm, that's a bad blot on the auction house. Informed sources tell them it is not the real deal and they proceed anyway? Cold shower for the OP. Ouch!
Posted By: lagopus Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 02:09 PM
I guess we will have to wait on this one. It would still be interesting to see the photos though.

Smallbore, might see you at the CLA Game Fair. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 02:34 PM
I won't be at the CLA this year. I am going to New Zealand 20th July to shoot three days of driven pheasant and try for a sika and maybe a thar. Back July 31st than board plane to Jo'burg on 1st Aug for some bird shooting and plains game in RSA.

I will be at the Midland Game Fair, sharing a stand with sporting Shooter, as usual.

I'm sorry to miss the CLA but NZ was too good an invitation to turn down.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 02:41 PM
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 02:53 PM
Sorry if I spoke out of turn, my own comments are not 'rumours', they are my own observations of the gun that I had in my hands. This is what I do for a living.

If you are happy anyway, then all is well.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 03:04 PM
No,
Not out of turn at all as this is what makes this site so special as it is a Honest open forum.
Martin
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 05:27 PM
I just figured out who you were....the guy that stood me up on buying the Riley after all the damn phone calls I made to Germany.

Good for you bud I'm glad you got stuck.....I can't wait to see the bogus Purdey. grin
Posted By: GregSY Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 05:44 PM
That 140 year old broad is lookin' Purdier all the time....
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 05:46 PM
Yep I bet she does.....and the Reilley me and Mr.Bogus 'had a deal on' miraculously ended up at Kirby Hoyts...for $1600 more than he offered it on here.

http://www.vintagedoubles.com/inventory.php?sort=1&process=fullview&gunID=858

And I'll bet he never sent Dave one bavarian cent.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 05:50 PM
Oh my, Joe. You aren't the only one with a deal worked out with our Mr. Brit that soured. There may be a pattern here, I had hoped my gone bad deal over a German scope was just a mis-communication, now you make me wonder.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 06:29 PM
Smallbore, I see the dilema you are in. Hunting in New Zealand and Africa or the CLA. Good luck. I will be going for Sika but no further than Scotland. See you at the Midland then. Lagopus.....
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 07:22 PM
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 07:27 PM
Originally Posted By: ChiefShotguns
Oh my, Joe. You aren't the only one with a deal worked out with our Mr. Brit that soured. There may be a pattern here, I had hoped my gone bad deal over a German scope was just a mis-communication, now you make me wonder.

I figured I was not the only one.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 08:30 PM
http://www.vintageguns.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=34

I love it... grin maybe you could trade it to Vintagedoubles for the Reilley you screwed me on cry
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: bavarianbrit
I have just bought a J Purdey back action Jones underlever hammergun in 12G 2.5 chambers in its oak and leather case and all the makers letters to back it up.
Wow what a feeling, the buzz lasted longer than any girls I can remember but that was a very long time ago.
Martin

If you try and sell it here...we'll ba watching grin
Posted By: nialmac Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 09:12 PM
"The buzz lasted longer than any girls you can remember" Gee, I like guns and all but I've never found one that good. I think your memory must be all shot to hell.
Nial
Posted By: Hansli Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 09:20 PM
What a great thread! 140 year old women, duplicitous grief stricken brit, spurned cracker. Who needs cable?
Posted By: PM Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 09:39 PM

, you"d better ask some of the mothers of your KIAs).

I don't know who this was aimed at but it is a classless dig. This forum deserves better.
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 10:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Hansli
What a great thread! 140 year old women, duplicitous grief stricken brit, spurned cracker. Who needs cable?

Now that is funny

H&H
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: PM

, you"d better ask some of the mothers of your KIAs).

I don't know who this was aimed at but it is a classless dig. This forum deserves better.

I agree. That might have been the most tasteless comment I have ever read on this board. Bad form Bavarianbrit, extremely bad form sir. We all have had our quarrels on here, but your whole post in response to homelessjoe was pretty much completely out of line. Joe deserves about 75% of what gets thrown at him here, but you went over the line.

Dustin
Posted By: nialmac Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/15/10 11:24 PM
I hadn't seen your comment about KIAs before my post. Now I see that you are just a total a$$hole. I guess any girl who was unfortunate enough to know you just wanted to get shut of you as quick as possible.
Nial
Posted By: GregSY Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/16/10 01:11 AM
I wouldn't talk about elocution or grammar if I was you, Brit. Your posts are hardly the pinnacle of either.

And, FYI, you don't LOOSE a friend, you LOSE a friend.

Why is it everytime someone screws someone and it gets exposed on the internet it always is because of someone dying or getting cancer? Do they give out pamphlets at the cancer ward informing visitors that it's now OK to screw everyone?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/16/10 03:25 AM
Originally Posted By: GregSY
I wouldn't talk about elocution or grammar if I was you, Brit. Your posts are hardly the pinnacle of either.

And, FYI, you don't LOOSE a friend, you LOSE a friend.

Why is it everytime someone screws someone and it gets exposed on the internet it always is because of someone dying or getting cancer? Do they give out pamphlets at the cancer ward informing visitors that it's now OK to screw everyone?

He told me all that....it had nothing to do with him selling me the gun he was coming to America to turkey hunt in Georgia (with a bogus American drivers license) and go to his old comrades funeral in Florida. Guess he should have asked the "mother" of his "KIAs" what ever that means.

Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/17/10 04:51 PM
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/17/10 04:54 PM
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/17/10 09:44 PM
I have just bought a "bOgus" J Purdey back action Jones underlever hammergun in 12G 2.5 chambers in its oak and leather case and all the makers letters to back it up.
Wow what a feeling, the buzz lasted longer than any girls I can remember but that was a very long time ago.
Martin

Hows that buzz going Martin ?

In America a mans word means something. We had a deal....you welshed on it.

Along with the time and phone calls you screwed me out of I didn't turkey hunt Georgia this spring because I was waiting on your phone call for me to come pick up the gun. Which never came.

Sounds to me like you bought a bogus Purdey grin just a little of what you deserve...let's not try and blame it on the auction house.

Funny how what goes around comes around.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/17/10 09:48 PM
'So would you if you had not worked for 1.8 years, thanks to the subprime fiasco'

I've never seen such a poor victim in my whole life. I once had a similar instance but luckily I was able to jump out of the way before the subprime fiasco could hit me. Had I been just a second slower I would have been like you, laid up in a hospital bed, all afflicted with broken bones for 1.8 years.

But really, who measures years in tenths?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/17/10 09:50 PM
The girl that gave Martin the buzz ?
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/17/10 10:33 PM
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/18/10 12:09 AM
I figure buying a bogus Purdey is kinda like finding out the girl that gave you the "buzz" was a gent...hey Matin cry
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/18/10 02:49 AM
HojO,are you sure the Reilly on Kirbys website is the same gun....
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Just bought a Purdey. - 06/18/10 01:20 PM
Now I don't think it is...one thing I am sure of is Martin welshed on the deal we had.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com