doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Gold Stock ovals or shields - 03/18/10 03:20 PM
Does anyone know a source for gold or gold filled stock ovals or shields. Could be used if in ok shape. Galazan has a 10k one, but over $250 .

Thanks , Daryl
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Gold Stock ovals or shields - 03/18/10 04:24 PM
Daryl, I think any competent jeweler or goldsmith could turn one out in short order.
Posted By: topgun Re: Gold Stock ovals or shields - 03/18/10 05:23 PM
Daryl
The last time I needed one, I went to the local jeweler and ordered one thru his shop. This jeweler had two supplier catalogs that offered shields in a wide variety of sizes, shapes (rounds, ovals, shields, etc), and ct. weights. But good luck, as gold prices now-a-days are several times higer than when I purchased my last stock shield.
Posted By: John Mann Re: Gold Stock ovals or shields - 03/18/10 05:55 PM
This may be elementary to all, but bears repeating.
These are usually clones of one anther. Stocks are not.

On a fine gun, it is best to shape it to the stock, and I understand that this is no easy task.

Best,
John
Posted By: Bushmaster Re: Gold Stock ovals or shields - 03/18/10 09:19 PM
I bought a badly buggered Ithaca 4E Knick stock to transplant the handsome gold shield onto another stock.

The shield turned out to be a thin plating of a gold colored metal (could have been gold) on a low melting point base metal.

I was not happy.

Also, the gold content of a 14k gold shield is no where near $250.

For example, the old quarter eagles were about 90% pure (19k) and contained about .121 ounces of pure gold. At $1130 an ounce this calculates out to about $136 dollars.

Lou
Posted By: cgs Re: Gold Stock ovals or shields - 03/18/10 10:37 PM
Mr. Mann is right. Doing this correctly requires making them from scratch and fitting to each individual stock. I use nickel silver and 10k gold mostly. I usually use 16 - 18 gauge thickness. Each shield or oval is cut from sheet stock, shaped, drafted and bent to match the curve of the stock before inletting.

Trying to remove and reuse original shields/ovals is an exercise in frustration because the very nature of their installation often leaves them thin after the stock is finished. Pulling one without ruining it is difficult and then it most likely won't fit the curvature of the stock you are working on.

Best, Dan

Posted By: philmurphy Re: Gold Stock ovals or shields - 03/18/10 11:11 PM
Speak with Tony Galazan.

Phil
Posted By: Bushmaster Re: Gold Stock ovals or shields - 03/19/10 12:48 AM
I have thought about having a gold quarter eagle bent to the curvature of my stock, eagle side out, and inletted.

After I thought about it I decided not to do it.

If I had a nice, Savage I would be tempted to inlet a quarter eagle into the grip cap with the Indian Head on the outside.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com