doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jim Legg "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 04:21 AM
I'm thinking of buying this book, by Michael McIntosh. I'd appreciate opinions from any who have it or have read it.
TIA
Posted By: BigSkyTaku Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 04:28 AM
I just received my copy a week or so ago and have been poking around in different chapters until I get enough time to seriously read it. I like the stories about David Trevallion's apprenticeship in England and believe that the text and photos do a good job to explain and illustrate double guns. I have been using an old side by side to play with taking apart and putting back together and general messing around with. This book is a help for figuring things out. The book has also helped me to look more critically at used guns I am considering buying. I like it.
Posted By: Bill G. Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 05:28 AM
It is a great reference book even for the more learned among us. McIntosh is such a great wriiter that he makes technicana sound beautiful. You will be glad you bought it.

Bill G.
Posted By: Hairy Clipper Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 12:02 PM
Jim,

I have had the book for a number of years and I concurr with Bill G. It will be in my library for some time and the Mrs. will have to put it on the estate sale.

Hairy
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 01:23 PM
It's good, Jim. And resonably priced in these days of $60 gun books.
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 02:17 PM
Shotgun Technicana is available on Amazon for $18.48 and will become a reference book forever if you like to work with guns.

Jim
Posted By: Chuck H Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 02:42 PM
Jim,
I've had my copy now for a year or so after the guys here recommended it. Lotsa stuff you'll already know, but there are some tidbits that always keep me coming back to it. That stock butt graft was DT's gift that made the book worth more than the cover price to me.
Posted By: Thurston Howell III Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 02:54 PM
Concurrences all 'round. I've had my copy about a year and a half. Wouldn't be without it.

Pete
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 03:29 PM
Thank you all. I was surprised to find it(using Google) at Wal*Mart, for under $20, including shipping and tax.
Thanks again
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 04:03 PM
Gentlemen and Ladies, It's Heartening' to flick on the 'Cyber-Box',eating my'Wheaties'witha cup of Kenya'.450nitro Gold Coffee, and see the Michael McIntosh's Shotgun Technicana,"Little-Gun Book" (With a Cense of Humor), heading up the"Weber's Warriors" Forum! I will'print-out 'all' comments, and Snail-Mail on to MMcI. C/C aka David Trevallion.
Posted By: Hansli Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 04:32 PM
Very good tech reference and interesting reminder of what apprenticeship used to be like and what it takes to be a skilled tradesman. If you know how to do something well, you'll always be in demand; the replacements are not coming fast enough, though.
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 04:34 PM
In reply to Gecff, New Zealand,Heres a couple of really good ref.Books with very practical guidelines on English, Scottish,Welsh, Irish,and Continental Guns.Forgot to thank Jim Legg for for the 'Plug"(Lobster Pound' Shore Rd.C/Neddick,5pm.New Keg of 'Harp Draught' will be Tapped' Thanks Jim...Des Mills, Actioner@ Purdeys 1950s,"Amateur Gunsmithing" 1968..G W Spalding "The Craft Of theGunsmith" 1986..and the latest"Tha Art of Gunsmithing The Shotgun" Lewis Potter,2006. Carol@ Gunnerman, has these Books,shes listed on The Doublegun Book Rack..C/C(still able to stand @ the workbench and balance a'Pint' while Chequering)
Posted By: Zircon Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 04:35 PM
Michael McIntosh and David Trevallion have done a superb job with this book. I've owned it for a year, and have probably gone through it three separate times. I always pick up more tidbits after each read. Thanks, David, and Michael!!
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 05:27 PM
You must have got the last copy Jim, out of stock now.

Rob
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 06:02 PM
Looks like the excellent work of Mr. T and Mr. M is tough to get. Booksamillion says 5 to 6 weeks and is $17.64. Better hope there is a second or third printing...

Jim
Posted By: JM Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 06:17 PM
Jim, it's a good book with excellent information. It's written in a light and easy to read style that, IMHO, is typical of Mr. Mcintosh's work.
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 10:53 PM
I don't believe I bought them out but I did give 5 copies as gifts last Christmas. I have used this book many times as a reference in actual work and discussions.

Jim
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 11:09 PM
Des Mills book is tough to find, Carol's sold her onlyiest copy(s).

Everybody here should have a copy of SG Technicana - even those without a screwdriver....Lowell.
Jim Legg, I'm pretty sure you're gonna like it.
Posted By: Older Doc Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/17/06 11:57 PM
ST is definately a must for any who appreciate the art in gun and stock making. It showed me especially how most accidents do not need to spell out DISASTER. All the techniques demonstrated in the book are used daily by David in his shop. Mike's prose tends to simplify them a little too much but still can be appreciated by all in or out of the trade. [img]

Posted By: Tim Carney Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/18/06 12:29 AM
Shotgun Technicana is readily available by the huge book search engine http://www.bookfinder.com. I also found a few and expensive copies of Des Mills, Amateur Gunsmithing.

Best in the New Year
Posted By: rabbit Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/18/06 12:39 AM
Read mine thru about ten times. Mr. T. must have some sharp paring chisels. Trigger steel isn't that soft! Anyway, a bit of self-deprecation, some very cooptable how-do-it topics, and interesting echoes of Purdys in the fifties (somebody's formative years!).

jack
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/18/06 02:20 AM
Rabbit/Jack, If my Memory' serves me....If the Trigger Steel isn't that soft how could I as a 17-18yr old apprentice working under the watchfull 'Eye' of W O Brien,take trigger castings that had to be Hand-Filed,both the 'Blades' and secondly the'Spur' then fitted into the two'slots' in the trigger-plate,that had previously been filed up,by the 'Gaffer'All to Gauges, handed down from Dead gunmakers Relative
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/18/06 02:21 AM
Rabbit/Jack, If my Memory' serves me....If the Trigger Steel isn't that soft how could I as a 17-18yr old apprentice working under the watchfull 'Eye' of W O Brien,take trigger castings that had to be Hand-Filed,both the 'Blades' and secondly the'Spur' then fitted into the two'slots' in the trigger-plate,that had previously been filed up,by the 'Gaffer'All to Gauges, handed down from Dead gunmakers Relatives to 'Young Apprentices,...Set the 'spurs' to the Gauge to get the correct shape for 1, the front trigger,2 the rear trigger????The stocker,back then,was responsible for fitting the triggers to the'Box drilling and tapping the box for the trigger-pin,making the trigger-pin, using the treadle-lathe I might say!,The trigger 'Spurs' were still in their 'Soft Stage'as after filing-up' the trigger guard-Bow'and inletting it into the stock,Be it Straight-Hand or Pistol-Hand.we sometimes had to,(to use a McIntoshisim)'Tweek" the Spurs to clear the inside of the Bow'.When 'Making-Off the stock and pulling the drawknife towards the action-head the Guard was off the stock, consequently when you had been to the 'Irongate Wharf Pub for the manditory'3Pint Lunch,then picking up the 12'bladed Draw-Knife,then back to pulling-off 'slivers of best french-walnut from the stock.It was very easy to slide off the wood and "SLICE OFF A TRIGGER-SPUR"!!!!Remember , the triggers werenot hardened untill after all the Case-hardening of the Action,Lock-Plates,had been completed and the 'Finisher'had re-fitted "ALL" the soft-parts to their respective'Slots,Holes,etc.I had, for many years,both a front trigger and a back trigger with the blades'Whacked-orf'.Error noted by'Heini" Eye',12InchBladed Draw-Knife!!!!DT.formerli of "PURDY"(Now Purdeys).
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/18/06 07:33 AM
Anyone not buying a copy directly from Trevallion would be without the enduring pleasure of a personal inscription.
A seminal text in shotgun lore.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/18/06 03:28 PM
When I finalized my order the form said 1, in stock. I guess I did get the last one, for now. I have since received confirmation that it has been shipped, due here Thursday or Friday. Amazon said "after Christmas" and $3.99 for shipping.
Thanks again
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/18/06 08:21 PM
SDH. Barry Lee has just Christmassed Me! Three Centuries of Tradition" The Renaissance of Custom Sporting Arms in America"...Your 12b. DB is Outstanding!!P 160.If I may tell the Folks that are acquiring' Shotgun Tech',I did have a 'Book-Plate' made up that can be put inside with a Workshop Photo and a 'Couple of Signatures' Carol @ Gunnerman had some left over from the Northbrook Shoot last May, & I have a few also.If any body would like one 'e' me with N&Add. will forward asap.C/C
Posted By: JayCee Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/18/06 09:42 PM
Jim, great book. Must have.

It was very helpful for my first (and only) successful sidelock (sear) surgery.

Still waiting for DT's and MM's autographs to add to my edition though,

JC(AL)
Posted By: rabbit Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/18/06 11:51 PM
Maybe I just thot it was self-deprecating humour and I mistakenly remembered drawknife for cheesle. Yeh, I probably could slice thru a damascus barrel with a big ol floor slick and I don't hardly got no training atall, so your point is well taken, swallowed at a gulp without benefit of lubricating fluid, like a pig up a python and so forth. As did JayCee, I also benefited from the H&H lock description and plates. Thankyou.

jack
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: "Shotgun Technicana" - 12/19/06 03:15 AM
I polished it off few years ago. I enjoyed section on self openers. Very important reference located next to The Rifle Story by John Walter on my book shelf.
PS. I still used nickname 'Self-Opener' for well-worn quality break open gun though. No sir, there is nothing 'Clunker' about a good ole' 'Self-Opener'.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com