doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Doug Mann ACGG Exhibition invitation - 01/15/10 03:57 PM
Next week (Jan 21 - 24) we are having our annual Firearms Engravers & Gunmakers Exhibition at the Nugget Hotel in Sparks NV just outside of Reno. This is a new venue for us and I promise that we will be MUCH easier to find than we where at the Silver Legacy. When you get tired of fighting the crowds at the SCI show please come out and say hello or you could just come and see us and forget the SCI show.

Glenn Fewless and I will have a very special rifle for display and sale at Glenn's table....... a Gibbs single shot rifle with a large hole in the end of the barrel (500 Nitro Express). As Glenn would say "Go big or go home".

I'll send Dave a check if/when we sell the rifle no matter who buys it.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: ACGG Exhibition invitation - 01/16/10 12:58 AM
I also echo Doug's invitation. GO TO THE SHOW! There will be some really great talent/skill on display! Seems to be the year of the BIG BORES! Go figure.

Dennis
Posted By: Glenn Fewless Re: ACGG Exhibition invitation - 01/16/10 08:47 PM
Gentlemens:

By all means, if you are in the neighborhood visit the Guild show. You will be sure to see some fine work and be able to discuss it with the craftsmen that produce it. It is the ultimate custom gun show.

Here are a couple pictures of the barrel with the big hole in the end... Still in the white.

Best to all,

Glenn

Posted By: LeFusil Re: ACGG Exhibition invitation - 01/16/10 10:46 PM
Very nice Glenn. Your metal work is unsurpassed. Your metal work combined with Dougs outstanding woodworking surely makes a tasty treat. Lets see pics of the whole gun. I know you've been busy...but have you started work on your Lefever FE yet??

Dustin
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: ACGG Exhibition invitation - 01/17/10 03:28 AM
Looks like a Ruger No.1 action.
Posted By: Glenn Fewless Re: ACGG Exhibition invitation - 01/17/10 06:18 AM

DAM:

Looking at the picture I can see why it might be mistaken for a Ruger... It is actually an early original Gibbs Farquharson action, cira 1878ish.

Here are a couple pictures of the restored action...

Glenn

Posted By: NCTarheel Re: ACGG Exhibition invitation - 01/17/10 08:56 PM
Mr. Fewless,
That's not restoration.... that reincarnation! Regardless, I look forward to seeing more pictures of the completed project.
NCTarheel
Posted By: Glenn Fewless Re: ACGG Exhibition invitation - 01/18/10 06:31 AM
Originally Posted By: NCTarheel

That's not restoration.... that reincarnation!

Mr. Tarheel:

You are not far wrong. There are a lot of hours in the action to get it to the point shown in the pictures. And more since then.

If you happen to have a copy of Wal Winfer's Gibbs Farquharson book this action is pictured in it, on or around page 97 if I recall correctly. Mr. Mann has my copy of the book right now. This picture gives a good idea of the "before" condition.

There are no photos of the completed rifle. We have an appointment with Tom Alexander to photograph the rifle properly at the show in Reno. The rifle has an exceptional piece of wood for a handle and Mr. Mann's work is easily up to the level of the metal.

Y'all need to come to Reno for the show. There are lots of fine rifles and shotguns like this to have impure thoughts about...

Glenn
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: ACGG Exhibition invitation - 01/18/10 03:01 PM
NCTarheel --- I assure you that Mr. Glenn's work is far better than the picture shows. I have worked on some of his pices & am of the opinion that there is no body that does better work.
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: ACGG Exhibition invitation - 01/18/10 08:30 PM
Mr. Ken,
I've seen some of Mr. Glenn's work up close...and it was as close to perfect as human hands could make it. I also agree, there is no one I have seen that does better. The beauty part is he is an even finer gentleman when anyone has the priviledge of meeting him!!!
NCTarheel
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com