doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Model2128Ga Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/08/10 12:37 AM
Do any of you members know where I can obtain information on the Luigi Franchi sidelocks? In particular the Imperiales, but also the Imperial and the Condor model as well. Any leads would be appreciated. Thank you.
Posted By: CJO Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/08/10 03:52 AM
What kind of info are you looking for?,..I'm quite familiar with the Condor model

CJ
Posted By: Model2128Ga Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/08/10 07:00 AM
Originally Posted By: CJO
What kind of info are you looking for?,..I'm quite familiar with the Condor model

CJ

How do you tell one model from another? Are they stamped anywhere with model name? Could the barrels be made to any length when ordered?
When were they made? Approximate value of each model in very good condition? Where on the gun is the serial # located.
Tom
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/08/10 10:05 AM
http://www.scaravelliemilio.com/html_home_en.php Look at this Italian website there are often Franchi's for sale.
Marc.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/08/10 02:18 PM
Can't find any info on dates of production. However, on a specific gun, you can tell when it was made from the date code on the barrel flats. Either a Roman numeral if it's an older gun (I = 1945; count forward from there) or two letters, starting with AA in 1975.

Blue Book says the Condor should be worth mid-$6K range, the other two mid-$9K range, in 98% condition. I've only seen a couple Condors on dealers' lists, and from their prices it looks as if the Blue Book may be high on these guns.
Posted By: CJO Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/08/10 03:34 PM

[/quote]

How do you tell one model from another? Are they stamped anywhere with model name? Could the barrels be made to any length when ordered?
When were they made? Approximate value of each model in very good condition? Where on the gun is the serial # located.
Tom [/quote]

The model name and ser# is stamped on the water table "CONDOR"
Should be the same for the Iperiale
I belive bbl lengths were standad on the Condor...27", 29"
I think they were made in the late 50's to mid 60'

All this info is also available in the blue book of gun values as well as prices as to condition

These are high quality guns, for the sake of comparison the Imperiale should be as fine as a Piotti

CJ
Posted By: eightbore Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/08/10 08:37 PM
You can see descriptions and pictures of the Imperial in mid to late fifties Stoeger catalogs. They were about six hundred dollars then.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/09/10 12:10 AM
Good call, eightbore. Just checked my 1961 Stoeger's. Condor $470, Imperiale $595. For comparison to another Italian sidelock, the Bernardelli Holland went for $450 in the same catalog.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/09/10 12:38 AM
Here is from the 1954 Stoeger Catalogue No. 45 --

Posted By: John Mann Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/09/10 01:05 AM
I was told that the earlier guns were spectacular.
When questioning that opinion, I was told that the engravers of the earlier (circa 1930s)were done by master engravers from Liege. Luigi Franchi hired a couple of the master engravers from Liege to work on his highest guns. They did what is known as Bouquet and Scroll. Not Rose and Scroll like the English guns. This was a special Belgian design and was possibly more beautiful.
It was used on only his best work.
I recently looked at one. A round body of really outstanding handling and it was/is a work of art.This was my first experience with this grade of Franchi.
I had to smile when I mounted it. It was a perfect extension of my arms and hands. The weight was exactly between my hands and seemed to weigh nothing.
It was, at that moment, I wished I were younger and had a bit deeper pockets. Other than my beloved Diamond Lindner, this is the finest shotgun I have ever handled.
Best,
John
Posted By: Cameron Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/09/10 01:16 AM
In a 1979 Gun Digest, the "Franchi Imperiale Monte Carlo Extra" is cataloged as a
Gauge: 12 ga only
Action: Holland&Holland type
Barrel: Length and choking to customer specs
Stock: Walnut root to customer specs
Features: Single or double trigger. Automatic wide profile hammer ejectors. Chrome lined Boehler steel barrels. A custom gun, Introduced 1977. From Stoeger Industries.

Price: Approx........$20,000
Several years ago DGJ had an in depth article about Franchi and the Imperial shotgun. Franchi was purchased by Beretta and still employees two master gunmakers who hand crafts many of Beretta's current best doubles. About 4 or 5 years ago when the Vintager's still had the annual event in Millbrook, NY, Beretta had a new Imperial model on display in their tent.
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/11/10 10:49 AM
John,I can only confirm your thoughts,many, if not all where engraved by Hyppolite Corombelle and are of extreme beauty.
I have no prove but I think Corombelle was under contract with Franchi. The Monte Carlo and Imperial Monte Carlo are désirable guns and not so often seen in auctions or second hand.
Marc
Posted By: CJO Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/05/12 05:35 PM
Looking back at this old post...if anyone is interested in information regarding these I have access to a pair of Imperiale Montecarlo, one in 20 and one in 12

CJ
Any pics?

Galazan has one that's crazy nice:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Franchi-Imperial-Montecarlo-Full-side-lock-28-.cfm?gun_id=100125436

Price seems crazy, too.

OWD
Posted By: CJO Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/05/12 06:31 PM
No, have no pics yet
They're pretty mch like the one galazan has, altho the engraving on these is quite spectacular, I have A bit of trouble agreeing with his statement

CJ
How do they compare to real nice English stuff?

I'd love to know what you think of them.

PM me if you prefer

OWD
Posted By: CJO Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/05/12 08:24 PM
Well they’re really good, but the lock work is not in tune with the rest of the overall gun…I expected to be impressed when I opened it up and was a little disappointed instead, good nevertheless but internally, certainly not as a good as a best London gun or even one of today’s top shelf Italian guns.

CJ
Posted By: CJO Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 01/09/12 05:19 AM
Gregg...here are some pics for you....this is the 20

And here is the 12

CJ
CJO: I am new to the Double Gun forum and am going to purchase a 1957 Franchi Condor side x side in 12 gauge with 27 2
1/2" barrels. Know very little about these guns but wanted a good quality SLE to hunt pheasant with.
Any information would be appreciated.

Paul
Posted By: VK2 Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 02/10/21 10:52 AM
I am new to this group and have one also. Just trying to work out how to post a picture from my phone! Must the photo be hosted?
Posted By: CJO Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 02/10/21 10:14 PM
Hello there,

Yes you need a hosting site to post...I use photobucket
Looking forward to the pics...those Franchi shotguns were all well made, congrats!

CJ
Posted By: VK2 Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 02/11/21 09:39 AM
[img]https://ibb.co/LNWFmJd[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/CzgJTsh[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/LJ9Prpv[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/DGhVjpH[/img]
Posted By: VK2 Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 02/11/21 09:42 AM
Hi everyone,
I think I have managed to post some photos above. I hope they work. Cheers.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 02/12/21 01:26 AM
Very nice. I have always had a soft spot for these guns. I believe Beretta still makes them on request. Give us the dimensions weight, and other details about the gun. Although I prefer a different style and finish on my guns, I do appreciate the quality of the engraving and the passion of the Italians.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 02/12/21 01:49 AM
For VK2

To show the pictures
go to the BBCode left and below a picture
Copy it and past in the thread

Mike

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Posted By: mel5141 Re: Luigi Franchi Imperiales Sidelock - 02/15/21 04:22 PM
I am very familiar with these fine guns and their variations. I am going to suggest an Italian hunting/shooting website to you. https://www.ilbraccoitaliano.net
This is a website/board hosted by some Italian shooters with interest similar to ours. More a general hunting board than a Fine gun venue, there are forums devoted to some specialty fields. One of which is a Franchi thread, and while it contains mostly information on myriad autoloader and O/U versions made by the prolific Franchi firm, there are discussions of the various SxS guns made by the company. There are in particular two VERY knowledgeable gentlemen contributors to the thread with extensive knowledge of the guns and their history. The thread has a wealth of knowledge regarding these pieces and their storied past continuing up to the present time under Beretta ownership. Google has a translate feature that is quite good generally for AI , content is mostly understandable with exceptions for some gun terms that don't translate directly, for instance the translation uses the English "kick" and "futbol" ( don't ask me why) interchangeably for a butt stock. But by and large the intent is comprehendible for the most part.
You own a Fine Gun, one of the World's Best. It is the easily the winningest double of all time in World Box Flyer competition. I can back that up with a list of World Championships won by Imperial Monte Carlo users before, during, and since my time in Europe/World FITASC and now FEDECAT sanctioned World Championships.

The guns hold a place of reverence in the hearts of Italian shooters.
The gentleman , who is arguably the greatest pigeon shooter of all time in Europe, certainly in his era, when Italy dominated the game, Giovanni Bodini shot one Imperial Monte Carlo his entire career.
A very interesting video clip on Youtube entitled , Tiro a volo di una volta shows some amazing historical footage of Italian shooting in the early post WWII years. Bodini and his field gun (note the sling swivels in the video) with his numerous "customizing" features is frequently shown in the winners circle. The intro to the video shows a view of "Gianni" looking over the muzzles of his gun in competition mode.

I jokingly commented to a pigeon shooting friend of mine, that view was the last thing a thousand incomers saw before being reduced to an X on the scorecard.

I hope some of this is helpful to you in learning more about your gun.

I have a tremendous amount of info/history of developement ,and names of storied shooters who competed and won with these pieces.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com