doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: L. Brown Ithaca Classic Doubles: Educate me - 12/14/09 10:35 PM
I'll be looking at one in a couple days, and I want to know a little more about what I'm looking at. I know actions and barrels initially came from Italy, but that changed on the later guns. Believe they started with SN 470,000. At what point did they switch to other sources for parts? This particular gun has Krupp barrels, so I'm thinking it's one of the later ones. Found 3 articles on ICD's in my file, but they're all from the earlier days and don't fill me in on the switch in sourcing, nor on the Beschi debacle (although that certainly was not ICD's fault). Would appreciate any help. I know the subject has been discussed here previously. Thanks.
Posted By: Bill Davis Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles: Educate me - 12/15/09 12:02 AM
Larry--call me for the info you want. It's easier to talk then type! Bill Davis 609-658-7739 EST
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles: Educate me - 12/15/09 02:00 AM
Larry,
I can't recall the production numbers and "good batches" vs. not so good ones. But, I have info from a firsthand source that there was plenty of responsibility to go around more than one of the parties on why/how quality suffered on some of the guns. But, we all know, ultimately, there's only one party responsible for quality of a product...the one we pay the money to for something. Anyone that outsources work is still responsible for the quality. Any other story is just an excuse.
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles: Educate me - 12/16/09 11:25 PM
St. Louis Cabela's has a 20 gauge SxS "variation 4-E" that resulted from this endeavor. I think it was completed by Mario Breschi. I don't remember the barrel markings.

They don't hold it in high esteem, and it is tagged at $2,500,
AS-IS. I'm not sure of its faults.

Jerry
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles: Educate me - 12/17/09 01:51 PM
The Beschis are an entirely different story. Basically guns rejected by ICD, as I understand it--or maybe put together with parts rejected by ICD. I've seen a few of those with interesting ripples in the barrel finish.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles: Educate me - 12/17/09 02:06 PM
Here's a bunch of ICD Q's and A's

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post137298
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles: Educate me - 12/17/09 02:42 PM
Larry:

The ones you want are the later guns that started with 471, the 470s were the lesser quality guns

John Boyd
Quality Arms
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles: Educate me - 12/17/09 03:12 PM
Thanks, John. That was the advice I got. Just traded for one of those.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com