doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Drew Hause Italian 'PSF' - 11/18/09 10:14 PM
1960 Smith replacement barrels. What is PSF?

Posted By: PeteM Re: Italian 'PSF' - 11/18/09 11:15 PM
It is the definitive proof for smokeless powder since 1951. Those barrels also have the provisional proof mark and the final proof for firearms for sale.

Pete
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Italian 'PSF' - 11/19/09 03:37 AM
The marking PSF (Polvere Senza Fumo or "smokeless powder") with star on the barrels indicates it is Proofmark for smokeless-powder guns. Two stars over the PSF indicates smokeless-powder fo high-power guns. FINITO with star is proofmark for finished firearms.

XVI indicates 1960 date code. The symbol (crossed rifles/shotgun in a shield with the star) to the left of PSF on the left barrel indicates Gardone proof house.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Italian 'PSF' - 11/19/09 04:12 PM
Thanks gentlemen.
We know Atlas Arms in Chicago offered replacement barrels for Smith and Parker guns using tubes made by Vickers (England) and fit and finished by Armaf in Belgium. It was my hope that one of those marks might identify the Italian maker
Posted By: colin.kendall Re: Italian 'PSF' - 11/19/09 04:59 PM
My late great Uncle Philip had a Parker VH 20 gauge that he had re-barreled using the replacement barrel that Atlas Arms sold. I don't know who did the smithing, but it was one heck of a good job. If you looked real close, you could see where the old barrels had been cut off and the new ones had been installed, soldered or welded, and blued. Back in 1977 he was getting rid of his gun collection and I got his Winchester Model 52 target rifle. I didn't think about his Parker or his LC Smith 12 gauge, at the time.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com