doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SIXSKB Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/15/09 01:09 PM
Nice little 28ga but short stock, checkered butt. Available at a very reasonable price. Need to add 1-1/8" best way? Cost?
Posted By: Lorne Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/15/09 01:32 PM
"Best way" is to get a new butt stock (an "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." option).

There was a smith in New Hampshire who developed a system for gluing a leather covered recoil pad onto a checkered butt. This would give you length (or most of it) without undoing what you have. Cost was roughly similar to having a leather covered recoil pad installed.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/15/09 04:37 PM
You can install a 1" Pachmayr or Silvers Repro pad with a black phenolic spacer, or you can fit a longer pad such as the 1-1/2" Silvers Repro. Either way, it will look clunky on a 28ga. Cost about $100+/- depending on who does the work. I'm putting a 1" Pachmayer on a Beretta straight grip 28ga Onyx that is too short for me. I don't like it, but it's the only practical solution for that gun.

Randy McCune posts here as RMC, and his brother fits carved wood butt plates to older shotguns. He has posted pics here, and I have one of those guns. Very nicely executed. You might contact Randy.

You could always look for a new stock, but that could take years.
Posted By: SIXSKB Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/15/09 08:08 PM
I realize that the best way would be a new stock but then the price wouldn't be reasonable anymore. Another alternative would be to take a sliver of wood off eliminating the checkered butt and adding a piece of wood but I've never seen one that looked good.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/15/09 08:17 PM
If it doesn't fit, sell it and buy one that does, or cut off the checkered butt and install a leather covered recoil pad to make it fit you...Geo
Posted By: GF1 Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/15/09 08:39 PM
A good stock 'smith can extend the lop by adding a piece. I've seen some done by top drawer workmen that were almost undetectable, others that were hideous. Key is a good 'smith. It won't be cheap, but should not be four figures either. Part of the job is hollowing out the stock such that the dynamics don't change much.

I agree w/ others here that a pad is a really bad idea on a gun such as this. It will badly imbalance the gun (pads are heavy).
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/15/09 08:54 PM
I sort of agree with everyone here. I agree with Geo. Newburn that if it doesn't fit, I would probably sell it and get another one that does. I would not mess up the checkered stock, though. My next option would be to get a slip over pad, as someone mentioned. I would not try to put a piece of wood extension on it. You would probably spend more than the value of the gun. Then it goes back to getting another gun. I don't think a pad that is much longer than 1" looks too good either. I put a 1/4 spacer under a 1 1/4' leather covered pad I did, and it looks like crap. I have a job coming to put a leather covered pad on a gun with a checkered stock that is too short for a guy. I thought he ought to just use a slide on pad and keep the checkered stock. But, he wants the leather covered pad which means I am going to have to sand the checkering off of the end of the stock to get the stock square. I hate to do this but.... oh well.
Posted By: James M Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/15/09 08:58 PM
You don't say whether you AYA is a sidelock or boxlock. IMO; If it's a boxlock you might be able to buy a replacement stock right from AYA and the fitting costs should be minimal.
Jim
Posted By: GF1 Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/16/09 02:33 AM
You will have a really tough time getting a new stock, then getting it to fit.

I'd call Jim Kelly at Darlington Gun Works, Darlington, S.C. I've seen his extension jobs and they are great; he's done some other work for me, and he's top drawer and a straight shooter.
Posted By: SIXSKB Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/16/09 12:32 PM
It's a boxlock. Sounds as if i'd have more in the gun than what it would be worth. Thanks for the responses.
Posted By: mike cross Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/16/09 09:39 PM
If it was my gun, I'd get a slip on leather pad (either the Velcro tab or laceup) and if I needed more length I'd add a shim to get me what I needed. The good leather slip on's are not unattractive and perfectly acceptable in polite company, the foregoing does not extend to rubber recoil pad boots. I have so very rarely seen a butt graph that doesn't look like what it is, but I have seen very attractive leather slip on pads that didn't require an explanation or excuse. Besides the leather pad shoulders well. When you sell or trade the gun you have not mucked up it's value, and you can keep the pad.
Posted By: yobyllib Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/17/09 02:08 AM
What Mike said,Pachmayer makes a sporting clays type slip over leather pad with velcro buckle.You could "shim" it to length by adding leather strips between the wood butt and pad.
Posted By: SIXSKB Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/17/09 10:39 PM
I have a leather slip-on pad that I used on another gun before I put a leather covered pad on it to lengthen the LOP. It may work but I didn't think I could get another 5/8" shim in there. Worth a look see.
Posted By: SIXSKB Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/17/09 10:39 PM
I have a leather slip-on pad that I used on another gun before I put a leather covered pad on it to lengthen the LOP. It may work but I didn't think I could get another 5/8" shim in there. Worth a look see.
Posted By: Katie and Jessie Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/18/09 11:26 AM
I took one of the Galco leather slip on pads with Velcro and cut and fit a 1/2 inch piece of pine to go between the stock and the inside of the pad. It works and I think I could have used a 3/4 inch piece of wood as well.

Regards. Gordon
Posted By: mike cross Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/18/09 07:50 PM
SIXSB, let me say the obvious, those leather slip on pads, Galco,Packmayer, etc., come in various sizes, if the one you have doesn't fit, look for a larger one or borrow one from someone. I use a large size one with velcro for a cheap stock fitting aid and add shims, such a wood or dense rubber, until I get the right length, then it is off to the grind to fit guy for a permenant pad or a dedicated slip on.
Posted By: SIXSKB Re: Lenghtening an AYA Stock - 10/20/09 10:43 PM
Thanks for the responses, been busy Grouse hunting.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com