doublegunshop.com - home
Someone had a link to Bass Pro Shops Fine Gun Room.

A little window shopping revealed these great buys.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores...mp;mode=viewGun

Not sure which is the greatest deal...
I like the $3,500 Lefever Nitro Specials better.

Mike
You folks are taking the glass half empty approach.

Now if the glass is half full - maybe we can sell them some guns for higher than market.
This one takes the cake....

I figure they're looking for a "Victorian" or "Edwardian" with more dollars than sense...it's at least 20 grand over priced.
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

I figure they're looking for a "Victorian" or "Edwardian" with more dollars than sense...it's at least 20 grand over priced.

Oh? And why is that?
Hurry! Yesterday my local Bass Pro had a rusty Stevens 311 for only $795.00 !!! It may still be there..
mucho looooco indeed. that second poacher's grade is worth what? $250.
Anytime I see a dealer knock off $3000.00 from a gun originally marked at less then 10,000.00...well it certainly makes me glad I didn't buy it last month!
I bought a Remington Model 11 that probably shoots better than either of the first two above for $50 at a garage sale this morning. I guess I'd better go back and give the guy more money!
Jim
i would take my scarrrry looking $200 ithaca 37 trench gun over those belgian clunkers. i sure luv them garage sales as one never knows what they're goin' to find.
Originally Posted By: 400 Nitro Express

Oh? And why is that?

Back action locks...not stocked to the balls...visible lug.....nice gun but kinda lacking as an English Best.

Is it a Webley screw grip ?
Isn't this gun priced about double what it's worth ?

Back action locks...not stocked to the balls...visible lug.....nice gun but kinda lacking as an English Best.

No. None of those things actually has anything to do with quality, and a true best can have any of them.

Quote:

Well......?
it appears to be not stocked to the obese/amorphous fences screw grip gun with american 1" pad that's been shot more than a little. that price really sucks.
unimaginative engraving, bulky stock of plain-grained euro walnut with thick wrist. not worth the asking price and why should this be surprising from an outfit that sells $5 t-shirts for $20?
It is the free enterprise system. Sellers can ask whatever they want to for their goods and buyers are free to pay it or not.
Posted By: keith Re: Where do they come up with these prices ? - 06/21/09 05:58 AM
Entrepreneurs who sell generators, water, and food at greatly inflated prices after a hurricane are called price gougers. I don't see a whole lot of difference... especially if they are buying these guns from Joe Gunowners' widow at far below average wholesale prices. At the other extreme, we've seen guys here get thoroughly upbraided for the sin of buying a gun at a gunshow from a grown adult at a very low price.
Originally Posted By: 400 Nitro Express

No. None of those things actually has anything to do with quality, and a true best can have any of them.

Quote:

Well......?

Didn't think so.

It's a Webley W & R model, and not of the highest grade offered. Solid quality, durable guns. Although of significantly better quality than they're given credit for, they're still not bests and, no, they don't bring anything like that kind of money. That's why this one would be overpriced at one-third of the current price.
Well, I've never gotten too exercised over the prices that are listed for guns on the rack or online. In the express case of Bass Pro I have bought guns from them at prices that had no resemblance to the listed prices and were, by any standard, good values. You see, a much as they may wish they did, sellers don't actually set the price of a gun. The market is a hard and intolerant task master and it is what actually sets the selling price of any gun.
It's a fine example of trying to sell a name....

How do you explain this junker of a hammer gun for over 3 grand ?

Do they really think the American public is that stupid....or is it their lack of gun knowledge ?

Posted By: GregSY Re: Where do they come up with these prices ? - 06/21/09 01:11 PM
They don't need all of the American public to be that stupid....just one of them. It's probably a good bet, statistically.

I'll bet they get their marketing data from their very own parking lot. They can just sit out there, perhaps in a yet to be sold deer blind, and watch the way their customers park to see that there is an abundance of idiots just waiting to get in.

You got your 'door dingers'. You got your 'take up two spaces right near the front door-ers'. You got your 'make 12 manoeuvres
to get into the spot' folks. And of course you've got your 'leave your shopping cart anywhere but in the shopping cart holder' crowd. Plenty of morons, I tell ya.
Otoh, didn't you think your last hammergun adventure was a little on the cheap side?
I think GregSY's wifey should do the shopping - I smell road rage.
Lowell If I was looking for a gun without chokes I would have kept it.

Without any argument....they refunded the shipping charges because they told me wrong on the choking.
unfortunately the gun room manager has no authority over pricing and don't have the ability to "move" inventory by lowering prices to an attractive level. that, if it ever happens, is strictly controlled by the corporate folks. they have in the past bought large collections as well, they price some of these guns really high and eventually over the years that go by, will drop the price more and more until someone buys it. I have seen a lot of the guns in the denver gunroom, some are really nice and some are not. still a great place to see and handle some high quality purdeys and hollands.

I do like this one though

wish I could find they other 3 of the set!!
lets just hope rest of the litter has original length barrels that are still in proof.
27 inch choked Cyl. & Cyl....I'm betting the one at Bass Pro has been chopped that's probably why it's only over priced by 5 or 6 grand.

Lowell's uses it's first cousin to prop up Pine Trees.
this piece has been upgraded in america for modern shooting. it now has 70mm chambers (americans don't need to re-proof guns after alterations to sell them), cyl chokes for them modern plastic cup loads and mid-rib to "aid" in shooting. dang wish it had single non-selective trigger with that choke combo.
27 inch choked Cyl. & Cyl....I'm betting the one at Bass Pro has been chopped that's probably why it's only over priced by 5 or 6 grand.

Lowell's uses it's first cousin to prop up Pine Trees.

WHAT..........YOU would actually pay 4k for it??

either your tastes are improving or your rigid Approved by HOJO "everything must be perfect or I will point it out standards" are lowering, I expected you would not have valued at more that 2k.

Would you opinion change if in fact it was made so many years ago with Cyl/Cyl choke, 2 3/4 chambers and 27 in. barrels ?

H&H
Choke was the rage when that gun was made....and only Scott liked 27" barrels.
I would bet that most member's guns wouldn't come-up to snuff either.
...and would be offered 4-5k less(sometimes even more) no matter what the owner's fantastic notions are.
Choke was the rage when that gun was made....and only Scott liked 27" barrels.

Atkins was quite fond of 27" barrels but that doesn't fit your version of events.
Might be......but there's not much chance that Beesley came with 27" barrels with no choke.
i have seen three of which two were definitely not the same gun. so there is at least two out there with 27" cyl-cyl business ends.
G&H has a Beesley with 28 1/4" barrels choked SKT and SKT ?

It's only 7k because it has a butt transplant, which IMO is pretty obvious even concealed in the checkering as it is. nice shooter though.
And you can tell that from the photos ?
Hojo

if you're talking the butt transplant then look at the last two photo's of the butt. You can definitely see a different grain pattern altogether from the wrist.the 1st butt stock photo seems to show it more. It looks like the grain in the butt takes a 90 degree turn from the wrist grain in the last photo

tried to post a link to listing, isn't working. take another look

H&H

So you're saying the Bass Pro shop Beesley has had a butt transplant and her tubes cut ?

Looking at the Griffin & Howe Beesley...I'd say her butt's been sculptured by some amateur and her tubes were cut also.

Did you notice the Bismuth ammo they had on closeout ?
http://www.griffinhowe.com/
HoJO

No......No

My fault, I was saying that the G&H has had her butt replaced, not the Bass pro shop beesley. I was just adding to the post with the G&H beesley having 28 1/4" barrel length as being another beesley with an odd barrel length.

I agree about the G&H beesley, looks like they dished out the top for additional cast or that stocker doesn't have the eye he thinks he does. would be neat to see a pic of the butt from the top to see if the transition looks as rough as it does from the side photo. JMO

H&H

Sorry bout that

H&H
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com