doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Craigster San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/17/09 03:43 AM
I've come across what I think would be a pretty nice "project gun." It's a Damascus 12 SxS in pretty decent condition. The workmanship and fitting seems to be above average. The wood and color case also seems to be better than average. Other than a serial # the only marking is on the sideplates and that is "San Joaquin Field Gun." There's no proof marks anywhere, so I'm guessing it's probably American made. Also guessing that it's a house brand name for a "hardware store" gun. I've done some research but have come up with nothing. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks!

Craig
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/17/09 03:46 AM
Post some pics and leave your feelings at home.
Posted By: Craigster Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/17/09 04:33 AM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Post some pics and leave your feelings at home.

I usually don't reply to morons, idiots or dimwits, but in your case I'll make an exception and a suggestion.

If you haven't already, do us all a favor and get yourself sterilized. I really think the gene pool has been diluted enough.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: PM Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/17/09 04:49 AM
Could you please post a photo?
Posted By: Craigster Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/17/09 05:07 AM
I don't have the gun here, I'll try to get some pics in the next few days.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/17/09 11:44 AM
I give the guy 'two stars' good advice and look at the thanks I get.

Religion is not an issue with me Craig...and I don't hold it it against a guy for being dimwitted.

Thanks in Advance.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/17/09 01:20 PM
I have an Ithaca collecting friend who has a gun marked San Joaquin. I don't recall if it has the 'field gun' mark. The gun is an Ithaca Flues model If I remember correctly. If you see the gun again, post its sn and look for internal Ithaca markings.
Posted By: Craigster Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 03:00 AM
Here's some pictures of the San Joaquin. Judging from the buttplate it's an early Ithaca. A Crass, a Flues? Barrels are 30". 3 position automatic safety.

[IMG]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/craigster48/Ithica002.jpg[/IMG]

Posted By: ellenbr Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 03:12 AM
It's a Lewis Quality 1? with twist tubes from say, 1902? I think there is a castle or fort in California near San Fran. or Sacremento with the name San Joaquin. Interesting find.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Replacement Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 04:52 AM
The San Joaquin Valley in CA is probably about 400 miles long, north to south. It runs from the Tehachapi mountains in the south to north of the Sacramento Delta, along the western side of the Sierra Nevada. It's a very big area. There have always been a lot of duck clubs in the valley, as well as lots of rough shooting.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 11:45 AM
It does remind one of a club gun....great find indeed.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 12:03 PM
Ithaca, L C Smith, Baker & perhaps others as well all made some guns which were "Branded" & sold through Hardware chains. These even though the field grades of these makers are still normally considered a "Cut Above" what we generally call a "Hardware Store Gun" IE Crescent, Folsom etal. Looks like Joe wasn't quite so idiotic after all, now was he.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 04:09 PM
One of a 11 gun order sent to Dunham Co. & Hayden. No mention of the San Joaquin marking. 5/1/1902. This buyer bought a bunch of guns around this era. Most Q-1, 12/30 Twist. Also see page after page of guns going to "St. Louis." Most of them were 12/30 Q-S with steel barrels. Fletcher Hardware also were buying a lot of guns during this era and we have seen Ithaca guns marked with the "Fletcher" brand.
Posted By: Researcher Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 05:39 PM
Dunham, Carrigan & Hayden was a big hardware distributor in San Francisco, California. One of their catalogues was recently up for auction on ebay.
Posted By: gordon g Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 05:52 PM
Maybe there was an actual "San Joaquin" Duck Club over in the delta area.
Gordon
Posted By: gordon g Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 06:00 PM
Walt, this gun has the characteristics of the Lewis gun. All the dating I have seen indicate the Lewis was made from 1904-06. When did Ithaca start making this style?
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 06:30 PM
It is a Lewis, Introduced in 1901.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 06:35 PM
Originally Posted By: gordon g
Maybe there was an actual "San Joaquin" Duck Club over in the delta area.
Gordon

It does look like it's clubed a few ducks...
Posted By: Craigster Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 06:50 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help and input! The pieces of the puzzle are indeed coming together. I'm quite familiar with the San Joaquin and Sacramento valleys. In fact, the San Joaquin monnicker is what attracted me to the gun. I grew up in Santa Clara (aka Silicon) valley in the 50's and early 60's. I'm in Norcal now but still hunt in the Central valley on ocassion.

Dunham/Carrigan/Hayden was in business in San Francisco from 1875 to 1946, sold eveything from "axes to yardsticks". Company records for all years are archived at the Bancroft Library at UC Berkeley and are researchable. So, with a bit more research, might be able to track down the original purchaser. Could have been sold individualy or possibly as a lot to a club.

Again, thanks to all for the help and information.

Craig
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 07:15 PM
No problem.
Posted By: Craigster Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 07:25 PM
Yup, even you, jOe.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 07:28 PM
Craig are you going to up grade that old boy???
The higher grade Ithaca Lewis models had some outstanding engraving on them maybe a old Ithaca pattern engraved on the sides a redo on the twist barrel that old boy will be something!!!
Either way please post some pics after you're done!!
Posted By: Craigster Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 07:49 PM
I think at this point I'm gonna leave it as is. I know for a fact that it's just been sittin' around for more than a few years collecting dirt, dust and grime. The barrels are very nice, quite a bit of color on the receiver, and the wood/checkering is also pretty good. I'm going to give it a good but gentle cleanup and see what I find.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 07:55 PM
Good plan!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/18/09 11:06 PM
Great plan.....looks like a lose lose situation.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/19/09 02:09 AM
Long time ago I saw a Flues model which had the Ithaca name on one side of frame & a hardware chain on the other. Forget for sure which one but seem to recall Belknap (Louisville KY)but may have been one out of St Louis.
Posted By: Craigster Re: San Joaquin Field Gun? - 06/19/09 02:13 AM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Great plan.....looks like a lose lose situation.

a lose, lose situation?

A comment one would expect from a looser.

Keep up the good work, jOey boy.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com