doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/28/09 11:30 PM
Hi all, this post is not ment to be a feel sorry for me or a rant. I do have a question that perhaps someone can answer.

I have a Fabarms Classic Lion I, 12ga, SG, DT, 26" bbls. The stock is oil finished (not the Triwood). The gun is in excellent condition (97 or 98%). The problem is I just can't sell it or even trade it. The reason why I want to sell is I don't use it, and to be honest it's to heavy for me (7lbs 2oz). I like my guns now in the sub 7lb class.

One dealer offered me $400. A couple others when I offered it for trade said flat out No when they heard Fabarms. I've seen a few on the auction sites and they just seem to sit there. I think I'm asking a fair price $900 for it.

So......is there something I don't know about this gun, is it the albatros of the SxS world?

Any thoughts?

All the best!

Greg
List it in the for sale section.

Here's one that sold on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123244499
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/29/09 12:03 AM
No offense but, although it is a nice gun it is not a top of the line gun. And a little bit hard to move. Consider what you could buy for the $900.00 you want for your gun. A nice Model 12. A nice Model 42 Winchester. A nice BSS. A nice Ruger Red Label. So, keep shopping it and see what you can get for it. Good luck.
Posted By: yobyllib Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/29/09 01:34 AM
Nothing wrong with the gun,they are sleepers=meaning it may take 20 years for any appreciation to occur,but occur it will,if you factor in the way things have been "being made" for the last 30 years or more.These are solid well built guns,but werent marketed as swift as an rbl 20ga., and are a bit heavier than should be on an sxs,but should make a nice pigeon gun.
Timing is everything,as they say.
Dealer offer 1/3 nib so that equals 400.?
Better off consigning it at 900., let it ride forever,and
get that minus 20pct. and call it an event.
Posted By: gjw Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/29/09 01:53 AM
Hi, and thanks all. As a matter of fact, it is on consignment at a local shop. I can't sell it if it's in the safe. As you all said, timing is everything, who knows I may get a call this week.

Just curious on this one.

All the best!

Greg
americans don't like short barrels on double guns as they're like skinny neckties you know. lack of name recognition and quad underbite system also scares them as it's usually associated with the dreaded french guns.
ps. the euro 2&3/4 chamber version with fixed chokes and false plates was better as the weight was in 6&3/4lb range and poor wood to metal fit at head of stock was not noticeable.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/29/09 02:10 AM
Can you really tell that the gun weighs 3 oz. more than you like?
no, but have you ever fired 7lb2oz gun loaded with 3" cartridge? imo 3" chamber starts to get interesting on 12ga at 8lbs or more.
i would say that 3" 9lb looong barreled 12ga rbl with chokes would be quite a cannon, eh?. dare i say with hevishot SUPER bo whoop?
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/29/09 02:57 AM
With the 26" barrels it would probably be a nice skeet gun. Why not just use it?
H&K doesn't have any idea how their "sourced" guns work, how to get them fixed, or where to get parts. A friend is having an education on this situation with a Fabarm H&K autoloader. It is turning into a throwaway gun. Put it on gunbroker and hope the other buyer would like another one.
Posted By: GJZ Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/29/09 01:16 PM
H&K lied to customers when they said the gun comes with a lifetime warranty. The warranty died when H&K stopped importing those guns.
Jimmy W
Got any idea where I could get a nice BBS for $ 900?
I'm all ears.
Franc
I had one. I loved it. BUT, I just didn't care for the 26" barrels.I found a buyer.

But, I thought it was a lot of well made gun for the money.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/30/09 03:40 AM
There are many guns out of warranty offered for more than $900 so unless you need the money now hold on to it and keep trying.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/30/09 06:42 AM
One just sold at a gun store near here, that I was at yesterday for that, Franc. Of course it was a twelve gauge. Keep looking.
In todays market the shorter barreled SxS's are harder to move.....could it be that most guys buying SxS's are not buying them to hunt with.
"The first time a gun malfunctions, fix it- The second time, sell it" From a 1990 article by Charles Nicholson- same Southern writer who wrote my favorite hunting short story "A Deer For Cholly Dorman"!!
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/30/09 03:18 PM
Jimmy W.

Please direct me to where the nice 42s are for $900.

John Boyd
Quality Arms
Posted By: dogon Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/31/09 02:13 PM
I'll second that one John! I haven't seen even a nice plain field grade model-42 for under $1500.00 in the last couple of years.

I'd buy a boatload of them @ $900.00
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 05/31/09 08:38 PM
How about M42 solid rib skeet guns for $6895?
http://ivorybeads.com/site/default.asp?Page=54
eh you boys always seem to look in wrong places for nice "winchesters".
HINT>>>>try searching for mod. 12 and mod. 42 under browning banner. made from seki fluid stahl by legendary b.c. miroku in land of raising sun baby!
John- try Pauls' Gun Shop in Charlotte. MI- Gene Burns owner- I get over there (Eaton Co.) about twice a year (to pick up hardwoods from Johnson's Sawmill) and always visit Gene- he had three, believe one was a Japanese copy, just like their copy of the M12 in 20 and 28 gauge, the other two were authentic Winnies-I will give you and almost everyone else on this website free and open leads on all the small gauge Winchesters and side-by-doubles I encounter in my travels, I am strictly a 12 gauge hombre. Good luck, and good shootin' too.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Is There Something Wrong With This Gun? - 06/01/09 12:41 PM
I've got a M12 28 Ga. Jap repop, and love it. I happen to shoot it pretty well. It's still very tight. Modern manufacturing tolerences mean that it may be a while before it's as slick as most old M12's.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com