doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: mark gruber Gun Case Relining - 05/18/09 03:08 PM
Has anyone published detailed instructions on how to reline and refit a vintage gun case. I'm pretty handy and would like to give it a try by id like some pointers first. I understand that billard felt is commonly used and white glue. But I'd like specific information before I begin. I've talked briefly to Mike Messina and Charlie Pfleger.
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/18/09 03:31 PM
Hello Mark,

There was a three part (I think) article published in the e-zine "Double Gun Classics".
Maybe someone has them and can send them to you.

JC
Posted By: mark gruber Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/18/09 04:53 PM
That would be perfect if someone has a copy!
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/18/09 11:37 PM
Mark, I have them saved on the computer at home. If no one else steps up I'll send them but it'll be 10 days. In the mountains right now.
Posted By: James M Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/19/09 12:34 AM
I've built and lined several pistol cases from scratch and lining isn't very difficult to do. I use felt purchased at a fabric store and white glue. One important thing is to stretch the felt over the surface being covered. If you use care during the trimming process you'll end up with a good result. Here's a Luger I cased in the "French" style. The felt is a pale gold:
Jim
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/19/09 07:53 PM
Hi Mark,
As you know I reline quite a few cases and I would advise you to avoid both felt and white glue.
The former goes very hairy as you work it and doesn't like tight bends unlike true baize which is a lot more forgiving whilst being worked, takes a nice fold/bend and looks loads better at the end.
White glue is in my opinion horrid! It doesn't 'grab' well, is impossible to remove once dry and can not be reset if you find a mistake after drying.
Animal glues are far better if you don't mind the slight smell while wet and the 'bain-marie' needed to heat them. The advantages are that it is a virtually instant fix, can be removed with a little hot water and a cloth, and can be steamed off easily if an alteration is required.
Furthermore it is traditional.
The choice is yours but that is my opinion.
Toby Barclay
Posted By: gil russell Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/19/09 08:23 PM
Mark: I know you can do it. I used an all-purpose contact cement that I use for leather. I have done some with a felt from Jeff's Outfitters (it wasn't a real high quality felt but it is OK). I'd like to try the baize that Toby mentioned. But I also use a split pigskin or cowhide in places that get really dirty or greasy--like where the knuckle or hinge pin sits. It really looks much nicer and I may do an entire case that way. I think they are usually done over a foam backing and some fiber board, maybe like a plastic cardboard especially in the large areas like the lid and the bottom. I would like to see the article when you get it. Thanks. Gil Russell Quailman85749@hotmail.com
Posted By: James M Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/19/09 09:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Toby Barclay
Hi Mark,
As you know I reline quite a few cases and I would advise you to avoid both felt and white glue.
The former goes very hairy as you work it and doesn't like tight bends unlike true baize which is a lot more forgiving whilst being worked, takes a nice fold/bend and looks loads better at the end.
White glue is in my opinion horrid! It doesn't 'grab' well, is impossible to remove once dry and can not be reset if you find a mistake after drying.
Animal glues are far better if you don't mind the slight smell while wet and the 'bain-marie' needed to heat them. The advantages are that it is a virtually instant fix, can be removed with a little hot water and a cloth, and can be steamed off easily if an alteration is required.
Furthermore it is traditional.
The choice is yours but that is my opinion.
Toby Barclay

Well I guess I'd better toss those dozen or so cases away that I built and lined with felt and horrid white glue. I am truly surprised my firearms haven't disintegrated from being housed in them.
Jim
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/19/09 10:46 PM
The brits don't understand the wool felt we use to line pool tables (oh shit, is that billiard table?!) is also known as baize.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baize

I've was urinated on by my limey friend Salo for exact same translation issue. No worries.

Here's who I bought from, they sell by the yard and will send you a sample for color checking - which is cool. I like the 'willi-cloth'.

http://www.thefeltpeople.com/pages/colorcards/feltcolorcard.htm
Posted By: mark gruber Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/19/09 10:55 PM
Actually I was considering using wool pool table felt not the common felt you find in hobby stores. Yeti, I don't see your link.
Posted By: Katie and Jessie Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/19/09 11:06 PM
I don't care for white glue as well. If you get a little to much glue on it will soak through. I have had good luck with 3M spray contact cement though. The contact cement makes a fairly quick bond if you let it sit(as stated on the can) but if you put the material on right away you can move it if needed.

I to used wool felt and it looks good.

JMHO

Regards, Gordon
Posted By: James M Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/19/09 11:24 PM
Here's another of my felt & white glue travesties again in a "French Style" casing. I think I had to elbow a couple of little old ladies out of the way in the material shop when I bought the felt. The unfired Colt Police Positives in 32S&W from the 1920s housed in this rosewood case don't seem to mind the indignity however and they still retain all their blue. I have never cased any long guns as they simply take up too much space. Sorry about the quality of the picture as I had to use the flash.
Jim
Posted By: Replacement Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/19/09 11:32 PM
Some of the nicer modern cases that I have seen recently (including some from Emebbi) have been lined in a synthetic velour. Looks good and tends not to absorb oil. Available at better fabric stores, but rather expensive. I have also seen lately some very nice wool flannel with a tight nap (similar to very fine men's suit fabric) and it's not too expensive. Lots of shades of tan, khaki, olive, navy.

I would not stretch the fabric over foam, because foam disintegrates and crumbles over time and with exposure to oils. I use cotton or synthetic batting, available from fabric stores or upholstery suppliers.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/21/09 08:03 PM
Mark, check your Private Messages
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/22/09 04:08 AM
Jim,

I hope you never need any information on a Grant......

Here is how NOT to do it.

Actually this is my traveling case and I lined it with white cotton (t-shirt) material as it is very soft and absorbs oil well. The other side that isn't shown is cut out for a 30" SxS as those are the style of guns that usually travel with me.

PS I used contact cement.
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/22/09 06:55 PM
Yeti: What is it they say about two nations separated by a common language?
Italiansxs: I didn't say that it can't be used nor produce good results, just that baize compared to felt (English definition!) gives an better result for a newcomer to this job. Likewise with white glue.
I am sure with your superior skills and experience in case relining, you would have achieved superb results with spit and dyed bed sheet.
Posted By: Salopian Re: Gun Case Relining - 05/23/09 05:31 AM
Yeti wrote;-
I've was urinated on by my limey friend Salo for exact same translation issue.

Yeti, surely you cannot mean I?
It is common knowledge that I am so mean I wouldn't give away the steam off my ????.
I did post on here a long time ago a link to an English Baize manufacturer up in the North of England who is the supplier to the British Army for material for epaulettes and to the Hunts for their uniforms.Maybe Toby can provide the link?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com