doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Charl Beretta SP2 - 03/14/09 06:41 AM
Hi Guys,
After 35 years of shooting sxs's (and probably owning a 100 of them), I've have finally decided to buy a o/u 'working gun'. I'm leaning towards a Beretta Silver Pigeon SP2. d
Posted By: Charl Re: Beretta SP2 - 03/14/09 06:49 AM
Sorry about that! I'm not sure what happened there.
What I wanted to asked was: does anybody out there shoot one of these guns and how do they find them?
Tahnks,
Charls
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: Beretta SP2 - 03/14/09 07:04 AM
charls

Depending on how much you want to spend and what weight requirement you may have, you might want to look at an early S2 sidelock, there are two on GA right now for under 4K, double trigger, game forend. pretty light and great handling O/U for the money.

It's a hand finished sidelock vs a current BL production. you can't beat the older S / SO series sidelocks for the money they are going for right now.

Just a thought

H&H
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Beretta SP2 - 03/14/09 12:56 PM
The 680 series Berettas are great guns. I have owned two of them, a 28 gauge which I shot 4,000 rounds, and a 20 gauge that I still own. The Silver Pigeon series (I, II, III etc...) indicate finish and "engraving" pattern.

The guys shooting the Beretta 680 series at the gun club seem to be pleased with them too.

That said certainly the "S" and the "SO" series are a step up in fit, finish, and prestige.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Beretta SP2 - 03/14/09 01:47 PM
I own two 686s and I have had them for 8 years and have never had a bit of a problem with either. My son shoots one and they are both X Mono Trap guns. I got an O/U barrel for one and I use it to shoot skeet. People tell me that I can't shoot the high rib at skeet but I have pretty good scores with it any way. But you will definitely like them. What are you planning on using it for? You never did say.
Posted By: Charl Re: Beretta SP2 - 03/14/09 01:59 PM
I'll use it mostly for pigeons and doves. On a Saturday morning in a sunflower field I can shoot up 200 shots. Also my teenager son will probably use it as it is a lot 'cooler' than a sxs.
Charls
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Beretta SP2 - 03/14/09 11:50 PM
charls,

Here's my experience. Have had a 687 SPII Sporting (30" bbls) for 5 years. Fired nearly 10,000 rounds through it. Not one hiccup from it. Perfect record. Two trips to Cordoba for high volume doves averaging a shell every 14 seconds for three hours at a time. Probably the last bird gun that I would part with voluntarily, out of twenty or more.
I unhesitatingly recommend it.
Posted By: Henrique Menezes Re: Beretta SP2 - 03/15/09 09:01 AM

I have two 687 SP II 20 gauge 30", they have been twice to South America, and they have digested many 1000's of rounds without any kind of problem so far.
They are very well balanced, and I believe they are a great buy.

Best
HM
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com