doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Edge Rights and Duties - 02/21/09 03:30 AM
A statement:

The Right, to bear Arms, imposes upon Citizens, the Duty to bear Arms.

Your comments.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Rights and Duties - 02/21/09 03:40 AM
The right to bear arms (as civilians), imposes upon citizens, the duty to bear arms (whilst defending our nation and/or land)....

Original meaning was to allow citizens to organize and defend our nation as required...(and still is)...at any time and on short notice.......therefore, they must have the right to own and bear arms when needed...........

Also to organize and stand up against an oppressive regime......since our forefathers came from that type of regime, they wanted all the bases covered......

Also: "Any person that will trade ANY freedom for ANY security, deserves neither"........Benjamin Franklin.......

Best Regards,
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Rights and Duties - 02/21/09 04:26 AM
It don't mean a thing, if you don't got that thang!
Posted By: GregSY Re: Rights and Duties - 02/21/09 04:48 AM
I believe every American has the right to bare arms, as long as it's not too cold outside.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Rights and Duties - 02/21/09 01:43 PM
Or, Lowell old chappie, to paraphrase Benny Goodman- "It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing"-- And as I often tell the ladies of the night, quoting the immortal "Ziggy" Elman- "You speak, and the angels sing"-- works like a charm, try it out on thos "LA Women" old Jim Morrison collected like small change..
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: Rights and Duties - 02/21/09 02:14 PM
Thomas Jefferson believed the ultimate right to "keep and bear arms" was to ensure against government tyranny.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Thomas Jefferson
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Rights and Duties - 02/21/09 06:58 PM
Rights used to come with a responsibility that was understood-"Who are the millitia? Why it is every free man". But, that was then. Mostly, one can put this on the hands of the left, this idea that rights come without responsibility, but, an example is not requiring people to produce an ID when voting, as this would be undue duress on the voter. Translated, even if you lack the responsibility to have/produce an ID, you should still be able to vote.
This is a recent development, and an example of the thinking today, versus when the bill of rights actually meant something. They don't anymore, the best example I can think of being the NY woman who shouted hard questions at Bill Clinton, and had the IRS persecuting her for most of the rest of his term.
So much for free speech. If anyone ever deserved tar and feathers, it was Clinton.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: quailnut Re: Rights and Duties - 02/21/09 07:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Edge
A statement:

The Right, to bear Arms, imposes upon Citizens, the Duty to bear Arms.

Your comments.

A "right" not exercised may some time cease to be regarded as a right. Our courts get a little wacky sometimes.

However, one does not have to constantly exercise that right to retain it. We have also the right to peaceable assembly, to petion our government, etc as delinated in the Bill of Rights and the amendments to the Constitution. We do not exercise these rights every day, but we exercise them and retain them.

Quailnut
Posted By: King Brown Re: Rights and Duties - 02/22/09 01:03 AM
Cut me some slack because I'm leery in this territory, Edge. I don't know the meaning of the sentence. I don't know if it confers a right to bear arms (to have them) or imposes a duty to take up arms (when the country calls). It may mean both: to possess muskets and your civic duty to use them.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Rights and Duties - 02/22/09 01:17 AM
King,
muskets where the "assault weapons" of the day when they wrote the second amendment.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Ben Franklin

remember who sold us out,even here on a gun board there are those who still support (and voted for) B Hussian !!!!!!

Posted By: PA24 Re: Rights and Duties - 02/22/09 01:30 AM
You are right Dave, they just love "the Magic Negro"....he can do no wrong........

So now it's Chicago Ghetto Politics for the whole country.....wow...

Good Luck.......
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Rights and Duties - 02/22/09 01:44 PM
along with righs come responsibilities. for love of god why can't some americans understand that. just look at most recent tragedy where 5th grader shot papas pregnant girlfriend. if it was daddy gun pops should be charged with felony manslaughter! lets face it in normal functional home kids should not have access to firearms.
Posted By: James M Re: Rights and Duties - 02/22/09 02:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
along with righs come responsibilities. for love of god why can't some americans understand that. just look at most recent tragedy where 5th grader shot papas pregnant girlfriend. if it was daddy gun pops should be charged with felony manslaughter! lets face it in normal functional home kids should not have access to firearms.

Hmmm lets see here:
You're describing a situation where a 5th grader shot her farthers pregnant girlfriend as a "normal functional home" ??
Jim
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com