doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chuck H My pup and me - 11/20/06 01:54 PM
Some of you may recall I started asking around 2 yrs ago about what kind of dog to get for my type of upland hunting and a companion for me and my wife. I did finally take the leap and got a 12 mo old started Lab.

I've had her out a few times now and she's starting to work noticably better each time out. Yesterday, I took her out to hunt some quail. I was really impressed, she pointed a covey with her left paw for a few seconds and I suspected there were quail there as this is a common spot to find them. The quail flushed a few seconds after I saw her point. Later she worked the steep side of a heavily brushed hill like a pro, flushing several birds while working very close to me.

I had recently read Mike Gould's book "The Labrador Shooting Dog", which I highly recommend for anyone training any dog. The one thing that struck me while hunting that hillside yesterday was Mike's statement about overhandling (too many commands) the dog. The less I said, the better Jas worked on that hill. Finally, I just got down to only saying anything to praise her when she came by after a flush. The rest of the time I just kept quiet and watched her work.

My brother-in-law shot a lot more than I off of Jas' flushes and she found some of his difficult to find birds.

I only shot a couple birds yesterday, but had one of the best times out there, ever.
Posted By: baydog Re: My pup and me - 11/20/06 02:45 PM
A good dog if the field or blind will make even a bad day hunting a good one! Your dog will continue to improve each time you go to the field. You are on the right track by letting the dog work with out a lot of commands, she knows what to do and you only need to guide her along when needed. Another thing to remember is if she has a bad day not to let it get you down as they are not perfect and need some help sometimes.Last thing is always trust your dog.
Posted By: Zircon Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 04:34 AM
Chuck, I know you posted a pic of Jasmine earlier, but you know, this thread is worthless without pics!!! Hope you got some from your latest outing. I'm always amazed at working dogs. They are smart, independently motivated, and so much fun to watch. And you get the best bonus of all - they love you for who you are - they'll wag their tails instead of their tongues.
Posted By: outdoorlvr Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 07:10 AM
Chuck

Remember the rattlesnake training if that 12-monther hasn't had it yet. Was hunting quail three years ago with a friend and a pair of Vislas, so trained. The dogs' reaction to the four-foot Pacific Diamondback we came across was textbook perfect, even though their training had been two years before . . . . .
Posted By: Chuck H Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 01:27 PM
Bob,
Thanks for the reminder. It was warm Sunday, and I was thinking exactly that. I didn't see any snakes out in Ventacopa near the pistachio and carrot patch but I'll bet some were out in the mid 70s temp. I heard that Rahauuge's has the training.
Posted By: Bill G. Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 01:40 PM
Chuck,

About 12 years ago I got some advice from a field trial judge when I first started handling dogs. After he bounced me out of the trial he told me that he gave the dog an "A" for the series but the handler got an "F". He told me that the next trial I went to I should put my whistle in my pocket, keep my mouth shut and watch the dog. I watch all of the time now (or as least I try, it is not my nature to keep quite). It is amazing what you will see when you are in the field with dogs. I have so many great memories of brilliant dog work. I am on my third English Springer Spaniel and I look forward to new memories every year. Glad to hear that you are off to a great start. Post some pics when you can.

Bill G.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 01:52 PM
Bill
Thanks for sharing that story. I think I may have found some of the emails that Doug Mann sent me, describing the tang bending on Fox guns. I'll send you an email from work today.
Posted By: King Brown Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 02:52 PM
Chuck, I'm just in from a great morning with Jake, my just-three Lab, and all the above was confirmed when my buddy and I knocked down nine blacks and a mallard that wheeled outside our tollers at about 30 yards. Three shots-- two from my SKB o/u 20 ga IC/M; my buddy's 12ga 311 misfired on the second shot---and they were all on the water. But in a flash there were only seven; the others had disappeared in a couple acres of cattails and the high spiky swamp grasses. I believe (old age, not wisdom kicking in here) in keeping a whistle out of your mouth and your mouth shut except for a little whispering "Where's the bird, where's the bird?" Watching a dog learning by the minute, doing his own thinking, working it out, is the spice of the hunt for me. I wouldn't go for ducks without a dog.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 03:47 PM
King,
I'm starting to appreciate the stories you guys have told of companionship a dog brings to a hunt and your life.

I'm still learning about dogs. I was deprived as a child. Just cats around and I never really warmed up to them. I'm wondering why I didn't do this earlier in life.
Posted By: jas Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 04:26 PM
My dog virtually every where with me, but the hunting experiences are the best. The worst, is the mud on the banks of the Columbia near the shipyard where the worker throw sticks for the dog. Half and hour later he is clean.
could not resist. jas
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 04:34 PM
I had a rough experience this morning with my 11 yr old Lab, Suwannee. Five of us lined the bank of a small pond. One of the hunters was another club-member's son-in-law, I'd never hunted with before.

Usually, I keep Suwannee close by because he won't obey anybody but me, but this morning he followed the others. Before I could get him back under control, someone shot (too) early and Suwannee broke to retrieve. In the poor light, the other guy's son-in-law mistook the dog for a crippled duck and shot him.

I heard the dog squeal and went to see what happened. Suwannee did't seem too upset over the incident and went on to retrieve some more ducks. We picked up 9 woodies, 2 gadwalls, and 2 blue wing teal.

No bad damage done (luckily), but like Dick Cheney's Lawyer, Suwannee got 4 pellets in the side of the face. My vet prescribed some antibiotic and said no bad damage done and to leave the shot in.

The guy's son-in-law was so broken up by the inexcusable "accident", I couldn't work up much of a rage this morning, but now I'm getting madder and madder. My two sons on the other hand were ready to jump the guy right then. I've been with hot-headed quail guides who'd probably have whipped the guy's butt in a similar situation.

Sorry for the bummer post, but I just needed to vent a bit...Geo
Posted By: jas Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 04:45 PM
Sorry to hear about you dog, a good dog is the best and most dependable friend you'll ever have.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 04:45 PM
Gentlemen: I'm not criticizing George's decision to continue hunting. I would observe, however, that ANY shot dog deserves immediate vet attention. What may appear to be minor or superficial wounds could represent something much more serious: a collapsed lung, internal bleeding, migration to a life-threatening location (Cheney's buddy had a pellet migrate to his heart which caused a heart rhythm abnormality)
More evidence that the life of your dog depends on who you choose to hunt with.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 05:17 PM
Next time use Rent-a-Dog. No stink, hair, barking, or sniffing guest's crotches. DOG = ball and chain if you want to take a vacation.
Posted By: King Brown Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 05:40 PM
Chuck, I was thinking of you after the hunt this morning because this one seemed an aberration and hardly made sense and I wondered if I didn't learn something that may help with anchoring those elusive quails out there.

Ordinarily I shoot 2 3/4 shells with No. 4 or 5 TM or bismuth shot, 12ga, 16 and 20. This morning it was three-inch 20 gauge---yes, yes, I know---with 1 1/8-ounce Kent TM Impact No. 3 shot.

The SKB is light, with 26-inch barrels and I wondered if No. 3 might be the ticket for those quick, long shots among the boulders. I chose No. 3 for the third time in my life because it has been surprising me.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 05:55 PM
George,
'really sorry to hear that your dog was hurt. You did the right thing in not jumping the guy, IMO. It wasn't something the guy did intentionally. Although the guy did an ignorant, stupid thing. It can't be taken back, but it sounds like he'll remember this forever and likely not make the same foolish error in shooting before he ID's his target.

Jag,
I always thought the same thing. Now I can't understand why I didn't do this sooner. I just came back from vacation. My good friend from airplanes, horses, and hunting (and the dark years of drinking) took my pup for 1 1/2 weeks and loved having her. I trust him with my life and now my pup.

King,
I think the biggest problem in hunting my quail spot is being quick enough to get a shot off before they disappear behind a bush or over the hillcrest. Range is usually not a big factor, but a full or mod choked second barrel has helped on occasion.
Posted By: rabbit Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 06:24 PM
Hard not to like a big fat Lab.

jack
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 08:53 PM
Regarding my previous ranting post; after a nice message from Kingsley Brown and further consideration of the incident, I'm really not so mad at the other guy so much as at the situation itself. What I'm really mad about is that an animal I love like one of my own children was needlessly hurt doing what he lives for.

There are a couple of lessons to be learned from this besides the obvious one. Like keep your dog under control. A labrador running out of control is not only a menace to society, but is likely to get his big ole fat self shot. By accident or sometimes on purpose. Also, there is a good reason to observe "legal shooting hours". If it's too dark to tell a dog from a duck it's too early to shoot. I didn't shoot the early woodie this morning, but I've been guilty of it before.

As for Suwannee, he says he's getting a little sore around the face this afternoon, but the antibiotic should prevent infection and nothing interferes with his appetite...Geo
Posted By: Bill G. Re: My pup and me - 11/21/06 10:52 PM
George,

You're a better man than I am because I'd have beaten the crap out of the guy. As far as I am concerned you still could. There is no excuse for stupid. That was no accident it was stupidity. Sorry about your dog.

Bill G.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: My pup and me - 11/25/06 05:52 AM
'was out today with her again. She really is coming around. For being from Illinois, she seems comfortable on these Calif 'razorbacks'. The north side of these razorback hills has scrub oak and juniper attached to the 60 degree slopes and this is where the quail love to ground roost. The side of the hill is scented up pretty good and Jas was going wild. The pic of me and her on the side of the hill is the south side with nearly no cover compared to the north side

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com