doublegunshop.com - home
I've come across a 12g SXS hammergun by a James A. Ellis of Canandaigua, NY.

Can anyone tell me more about it? I guess they're very scarce.

The gun has 30" damascus bbls, keyed forend, straight grip, low hammers (missing one), moderate scroll engraving, a doll's head, and push lever release.

I know Ellis had something to do with Lefever. However, this gun does not have the Lefever name on it anywhere.

From what I can tell, it must have been made after the Ellis & Lefever relationship dissolved.

Thanks

OWD
J.A. Ellis was one of early 'Uncle Dans' partners. That was in pre-Dangerfieled & Lefever days when the Uncle had gunsmithing business.
Nothing on Ellis in Antique Guns a Collector's Guide or in back of The Golden Age of Shotgunning by Hinman.
Ellis might be kinda if you're from New York State.
The late Jerry Swinney's work "The New York Gun Trade" has several pages on Ellis, both before and after his partnership with Lefever. He made made rifles, mule eared over/unders, etc as well as shotguns. He and sons eventually evolved from gun making/smithing to the hardware business. Having said that raises the posibility of your gun being an import. Any proofmarks?
The doll's head and push lever release indicate American manufacture connected with Lefever designs. Need pictures.
I believe that Lefever & Ellis were partnered between 1862 & 1867 & were making muzzle loaders. I have seen one gun from this era, an over/under combo of 16ga/.40cal having a righthand mule-ear percussion lock with two hammers, one trigger as I recall. I presume it dropped which ever hammer was cocked. Agree with 8-Bore, it sounds like later Lefever/Dangerfield design. Pictures would definately be great.
Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to get pics.

OWD
Ellis, James A.--Gunmaker of Canandiagua, Ontario County, N.Y., 1868-74; thence to Waterloo, N.Y., where he is found in 1882. The census of 1870 indicates he had $500 invested in the business and employed two hands at a total of $1,200 per year. He was equipped with two lathes. During the year ended June 30, 1870, he purchased 50 gun barrels at $200, wood at $20, and charcoal at $36. He producewd 25 sporting guns valued at $1,000, and made miscellaneous articles and repairs at $1850.

From Gardner
Waiting for pics.
I have an unbarreled stocked action that may fit.
Best,
John
Is the Ellis over under the one with single trigger and two hammers that lie together when cocked on the same side of the action?
It's a SxS, double triggers. From what I've been able to figure out, I think it was made by one the Lefever partnerships and retailed by Ellis.

I have not seen the gun yet. I've just talked to the owner about it.

OWD
The one Lefever & Ellis I have seen was as you described 8-bore. There is also one pictured on page 18 of Elliot's last book. These are muzzle-loader guns.
May not have been clear on my previous post but when I said I agreed with you on the Lefever/Dangerfield design was speaking of the SxS breech loader OWD was asking about, not the O/U Lefever & Ellis. So far have seen no evidence that either Lefever or Ellis had worked with breech loaders till after they seperated ca 1867.
I believe I have seen this gun. The one I saw had all english proofs and markings. My thought, imported and sold by Ellis.
Granite
There was an Ellis 12ga sxs at the Rochester NY gun show last weekend. Same gun?
Not too long ago, either on this site or the Lefever site, an unmarked push lever hammer gun in very well preserved condition was discussed. I can't find the thread where it was discussed. Anyone remember? I looked at the gun at an Allentown show and foolishly did not take it home.
The one at Rochester was missing a hammer, the other fell off when the gun was picked up. Overall brown gun and very worn condition. Top tang push lever release.
IIRC, a bar-in-wood action with a brass(?) reinforcement accross the bottom area of the stock at the hinge. A small amount of scroll on the lock plates, perhaps a dog engraved but I'm not sure of that. The price thrown out there was in the $1500/1600 range. Ellis name was engraved on the rib.
Kutter-

I think that's the gun. The guy who contacted me about it was from NYS.

The internet is amazing, btw.

OWD
Mr Murphy
The one you remember was(IMHO) an import but was cased in an American Case
Bill
OWD,

Did you ever make a connection on this Ellis or Ellis & Lefever, which ever it is?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com