doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: JayCee Lefever info - 01/08/09 03:11 PM
Hello all,

Slate is looking at this Lefever and wants your feedback including a price estimate.
Thanks in advance.

Picture posting didn't work, you can see it here:
Lefever Album

From Slate:
"Note the non original butt stock, poor condition of engraving on the one side."
"Gun worthy of restoration?? The modified stock may be beneficial for shooting."

JC
Posted By: Harry Sanders Re: Lefever info - 01/08/09 05:25 PM
To the point: Given the fit of the sideplates I'd want to closely examine the fit up of the rest of the inletting. If the inletting is equally mis-fit the re-stock is valueless and the buyer is essentially buying a barreled action with restorable/useable forend wood. The cost to properly restock the butt is likely more than the gun is worth in pure economics. If someone wants to provide some charitable contribution $'s to bring it back then that's different, but from a pur P&L standpoint it's a losing proposition. Nice E grades can be found that are right, original, would cost less all told and be worth more because of originality.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Lefever info - 01/09/09 03:05 PM
Thanks Harry.

Any more opinions?

JC
Posted By: Two Triggers Re: Lefever info - 01/09/09 03:58 PM
JC: Just not enough information to be of much help. What do you know about the barrels? TT
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Lefever info - 01/09/09 05:16 PM
I noted this gun has the extra screw in side-plate indicating plate mounted sears, as well as the cross pin through bar at beginning of sculpted area. Most probably a "Two-hook" cocker from the early 1890's. It also has the push-button forend release, which I personally much prefer over the pull off type.
Posted By: slate Re: Lefever info - 01/09/09 10:52 PM
The barrels on this gun are near pristine and the lock up tight without any looseness in either horizontal or vertical planes. The barrels both have 0.040" of choke. The barrels are uncut @ 30". I like the gun and priced @ $700 might be worthy of consideration - I really don't know for as noted the inletting of the replacement butt stock is not very well done. So one would likely have it restocked which won't be cheap. The damascus pattern appeals to me and rebrowned would be very nice I think. Interesting that the barrels which are the same serial # as the action are in such good repair while the balance of the gun is not. I would guess that the engraving could be picked up but of course it will never be valuable in a collector sense. Thanks JC for posting the photo for me. By the way the serial # indicates the gun is from 1885.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Lefever info - 01/10/09 10:03 PM
Hello Slate,

You are welcome.

JC
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com