doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gerald A. Mele OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/16/06 09:11 PM
Some of you know that I have a daughter with muscular dystrophy. She has an overall muscle weakness. She cannot walk, stand and needs help with normal physical activities like dressing, toileting, or transferring to and from her electric wheel chair. In spite of her disabilities she is a wonderful, bright, vocal, relatively self-sufficient, (except financially) 20 year old college student. She is a RIGHT-WING RADICAL political science major at UC Berkeley. At this time she is on the board of directors for the Berkeley College Republicans and has written articles for the conservative CAL Patriot magazine. She wants to be a lobbyist or a political strategist when she graduates. (Maybe work for the NRA!)

She has just been accepted in the UC-DC program. She will go to Washington DC for a semester as an intern. I am not sure how we will pull the whole think off yet, (and I am sure it will cost me a pretty penny) but I am so proud of her that I am about ready to bust with pride. I just wanted to share my joy with my friends at this forum and let you know there still are a few conservative students left in CA.

Thanks for sharing in my joy.

Jerry
Posted By: devrep Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/16/06 09:17 PM
"She is a RIGHT-WING RADICAL political science major at UC Berkeley" Gerald, I'm not sure I've ever heard anything like that before as regards UC Berkley. Good for her, you have every right to be proud. That girl has to have guts.
Posted By: Katie and Jessie Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/16/06 09:45 PM
Gerals
You are truly blessed. My daughter is a great source fo pride for me as well. Good luck and all the best for your daughter.
Regards. Gordon
Posted By: Chuck H Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/16/06 09:50 PM
Gerald,
Just being a Republican in Berkeley must take a special determination. With that determination, I'm sure she stands above the crowd.
Posted By: JM Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/16/06 10:18 PM
Gerald, those folks at Berkeley are probably delighted that she's headed for the other side of the country!

Seriously, congratulations to you and your daughter! An excellent accomplishment indeed!!!
Posted By: bbman3 Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/16/06 10:52 PM
Gerald, you have every right to be proud of such a fine daughter! May God bless her always! Bobby
Posted By: slate Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/16/06 10:55 PM
Gerald, Your daughter's accomplishments demonstrate character - a aspect of the human soul which is much to be sought after and appreciated. She will have, no doubt, many opportunities to debate issues and perspectives with left leaning folks. Congrats to you and to her. I have 3 daughters all of which have provided me with great joy and are a source of wonder to me.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/16/06 11:18 PM
Good for her, good for you sir!
You are, I can tell, as proud as punch of her.
...and so you should be.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/16/06 11:42 PM
Hope she enjoys DC, better yet hope she changes it. You both have much to be proud of and thanks for sharing your daughters acheivement.
Posted By: tanky Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/17/06 01:02 AM
This kind of character from a handicap person takes some of the wind out of the leftys sail. There are many right leaning organizations in Washington that I'm sure she will have no problem getting a job with. Good luck and thanks for the service to the Republic.
Posted By: Gerald A. Mele Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/17/06 01:50 AM
Thanks guys. As you can tell, I am very proud of her.

This is the same girl that when granted a make-a-wish she chose to go to the Whitehouse and meet President Bush!

It looks like she is going to be in the AG's office in the ADA enforcement division.

She loves showing liberals that conservatives lend a hand to the disabled, not a hand out!

Thanks again. She is comming home this weekend for a visit, I am going to be very proud to show her all the kind words from you guys.

Jerry
Posted By: Zircon Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/17/06 02:16 AM
Wow! Now there is an oxymoron. Right-wing radical and UC Berkeley in the same sentence!! My prayers to you all that she is in good hands and enjoys DC. I lived in the area (Gaithersburg, MD) for two years and it's a superb place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Posted By: Tyler Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/17/06 07:59 PM
I am certain that she will eventually run into an old friend of mine, Becky Ogle. She lost both legs several years ago and is a big advocate of the disabled. Some of you may remember her crawling up a couple of dozen granite steps to gain access to a courthouse in Tenn a few years ago. Unfortunately, she works the other side of the isle. Equally determined but from a different direction.
Posted By: Stever Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/17/06 08:39 PM
Jerry, My congratulations on your having raised a bright, mature, astute young lady! You are right to be proud of her and I, for one, and I would guess almost all the other board members are proud of her too for being brave on all fronts! Wishing her well in DC!
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/17/06 10:17 PM
Good for her and good for you too, for your fantastic support. If it were not for you she would not be going to DC.
Bravo to both of you! What a nice story.
Mike
Posted By: outdoorlvr Re: OT-Off to Washington DC - 11/17/06 10:34 PM
Gerald

I share the same reaction as others to the U.C. Berkeley bit. And I also share the same admiration for her - - - as well as for you.

Best of luck to her. This will be a challenging time in D.C - - - probably more challenging than in most times past.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com