doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: webbo JP Sauer & Sons help -Pics- - 12/16/08 06:08 PM
Hello all- I heard this was the place to come for info on an old JP Sauer, or any other double for that matter. Anyway, I need some help and some info. I've recently come across an old JP Sauer, thing is, I don't know which model it is, when it was made or what it could be worth. If I can get any of these questions answered I'd greatly appreciate it. I've attached dome pics. There has been a recoil pad added but other than that it is tight and original.

Thanks!!!

I love the great selection of emoticons you have on this forum
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: JP Sauer & Sons help -Pics- - 12/16/08 06:27 PM
Very nice 20ga Sauer. Someone will tell you the model in a moment I'm sure.
Posted By: Peter Weber Re: JP Sauer & Sons help -Pics- - 12/16/08 06:49 PM
Is there an Importer listed on the top ribs? The gun was obviously made for the American market.

Very nice pre-War gun.
Posted By: webbo Re: JP Sauer & Sons help -Pics- - 12/16/08 06:51 PM
Importer is "Von Lengerke & Detmold Inc. New York NY US Agents"
Posted By: ellenbr Re: JP Sauer & Sons help -Pics- - 12/16/08 07:04 PM
It has overhanging and lower intercepting scears, sideclips, scalloped frame and a roundtop that you would see on a Model 40 slated for the American market from Schoverling, Daly & Gales but I can't tell if it is game scene engraved or not and it is void of the embelishment of the church-windows as found on Model 40s. If it's just "handsome engraved" it is a Model 3, or Model 30, but I don't know if ejectors were an option on a Model 3 and may have been found on the Model 30. I don't see a cheekpiece, sling swivels or cocking indicators, otherwise it would be a Model 14. Does it have "Krupp Fluid Steel" or "Special Krupp Gewehrlauf Stahl" on the tubes anywhere? It's not date stamped; therefore, it passed the Suhl proofhouse prior to Sept. 1923 and it doesn't have "Made in Prussia" which usually indicates a pre-1916 longarm. Sometime around 1920 "Made in Germany" was required by the U.S. Just by the serial number only, it would fall in the late 1930s, but apparently this Model 3/Model 30 twenty bore is an exception and falls in the 1920-1923(early) period. Is "Schoverling, Daly & Gales" on the top rib?

It also has the typical "M.S" in an oval(also see "W.B.") on the crossbar in the receiver.

I see my question has been previously answered; therefore, it's probably a Model 280, which is a Model 17 with the scalloped frame. I don't think Model 180s(pre-WWI Model 8s) had scalloped frames or lower scears.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: webbo Re: JP Sauer & Sons help -Pics- - 12/16/08 07:17 PM
More pics

"Fluid Steel-Krupp Essen" Is the illegible part

Posted By: ellenbr Re: JP Sauer & Sons help -Pics- - 12/16/08 08:22 PM
VL & D Sauer Model 280E which had upper and lower hinged scears. The 180E only had upper hinged scears like the Sauer Model 8.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Bob Beach Re: JP Sauer & Sons help -Pics- - 12/17/08 03:31 AM
As Raimey says, the Sauer is a model 280E, also known as the Model 14. The gun was purchased from Abercrombie & Fitch in 1931 by a very famous American industrialist for a lady. The Sauer may have been ordered by VL&D but it was sold by A&F. Abercrombie & Fitch completed its purchase of VL&D in August of 1929 and continued to market the VL&D guns in its catalog for several years.
Compliments of Griffin & Howe, Inc.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com