doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Doug Mann The Lindner Daly is home - 11/22/08 03:37 AM
Well, the old girl has now found a new home with me. I'm posting a few pictures below and again they aren't the best but I had to take them outside and it was cold in Illinois today. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, now that I've had a chance to look the gun over pretty good here are some of the particulars: 28" barrels choked .006 right and .025 left, bore size is .725 both barrels with some very slight pitting in the left barrel (probably honeing the barrels .001 will make them perfect). Minimum wall thickness is .036 in both barrels and I can see no dents at all in either the barrels or the top rib. The short section of bottom rib is missing back of the forend lug but that is easily replaced. The bluing is no doubt original because it looks crappy (hey I'll look crappy in a hunred years too). The chambers are 2 1/2"

The engraving is actually very crisp and nice it just doesn't show well in the pictures. I said before that it was "rose & scroll", I'm not sure about the rose part because the flowers look more like daisies to me, but very well done in any case.

The wood on the gun has many shallow dents and a few scratches but is actually in pretty nice shape. The dimensions are 1 5/8 DAC, 2 3/4 DAH with a 14 3/4 LOP to a really classic Pachmayr whiteline pad that is hard as a rock.

At this point I'm not sure if I'll do a complete restoration and restock the gun or just redo the things that really need to be done.

Anyway here's the pictures.

Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: The Lindner Daly is home - 11/22/08 03:43 AM
Nice engraving. I've never seen cocking indicators that were still that long after 100 years. They are usually worn down. The checkering on the forearm looks different also. I've never seen one that started so far in front of the forearm iorn. Nice one.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: The Lindner Daly is home - 11/22/08 04:10 AM
Congratulations, Doug--it does look to be a fine example of Lindner's work. I just love the elegant scalloping of the breech balls. Lindner just had a special way with curved lines....how they all seem to flow harmoniously together.

Good shooting!
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: The Lindner Daly is home - 11/22/08 09:55 AM
Those Lindners are simply stunning!!! Torn between a redone stock, why touch perfection, and Mr. Mann's amazing ability with wood, like I said completely torn!!
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: The Lindner Daly is home - 11/22/08 12:19 PM
The amount of work that "Kaiser rolls" put into that piece is simply astonishing. Just look at the safety button.
Posted By: James M Re: The Lindner Daly is home - 11/22/08 01:42 PM
Hi Doug:
Considering the overall condition of this gun which is IMO very good to excellent I think,if it were mine, I'd do the minimal in cosmetic work and keep it as original as possible. Having the barrels honed to me makes sense and perhaps freshening up the checkering.
Congradulations on your beautiful gun.
Jim
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: The Lindner Daly is home - 11/22/08 02:51 PM
What a wonderfull piece
Posted By: KY Jon Re: The Lindner Daly is home - 11/22/08 05:56 PM
You are kind of caught in between what the gun could be and what it still has in condition. To make matters worse we know what you can do, to that gun, to make it look like what the maker would have done himself. Skill and talent has a price and you have both. IF it were mine I would just cleanup what needs to be done and enjoy it. But I confess, in a weak minute it might get sent out for a complete redo. While I wish I had the gun I am glad that you have to be making the hard decisions this time. Nice find.
Posted By: jim bledsoe Re: The Lindner Daly is home - 11/22/08 05:56 PM
Very nice! Very nice indeed sir.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com