doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MyGSPIzzy 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/15/08 02:21 PM
If you were looking at two 28ga sidelocks with one being a roundbody, which would you choose and why? Everything about the guns is otherwise identical....barrel length, length of pull, etc. Thanks.
Posted By: Joe Bernfeld Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/15/08 02:33 PM
Some people like the look, and feel in the hand when carrying a rounded-action sidelock. I have both and prefer the traditional flat-side sidelock with drop points. It looks more "traditional" to me.
Joe
Posted By: bamboozler Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/15/08 02:38 PM
Being a traditionalist, with sidelocks I have always preferred the looks of a square action design with hand detachable locks and drop points. I've never had a problem or an issue with the sharper corners while carrying, which seems to be the argument for those preferring the rounded action. Having said this, I have a good friend who recently purchased an AyA #2 28-ga. rounded action with 29" bbls.---a really nice little gun...I'm envious. He doesn't know it yet, but some night I'm gonna get him good 'n drunk on some rot-gut whiskey and we're gonna arm-wrestle for it!
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/15/08 02:43 PM

I prefer the flat side. I never carry the gun underneath the receiver, but I just prefer the looks of one.
Posted By: Snipe Hunter Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/15/08 02:47 PM
I like the look of a gun with flat sideplates. I don't care for the way dropper points feel against the inside of my thumb and forefinger when I'm carrying the gun so I don't want them again. I also don't care for the look of hand-detachable lockplates.
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/15/08 03:54 PM
I would do unspeakable things for one of the Scottish trigger-plate round-bodies. On the other hand, the rounded-off A&D actions everyone else put out leave me cold. I'd go with the flat side and the nice looking panels on the wood.
Posted By: Sliver Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/15/08 04:25 PM
I like round bodies!
It's not a matter of carrying it in your hand, but rather a matter of looks. As they say, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I have a Grulla 28 ga rounded body that makes for a delicate action.
Nothing like a Dickson, though. Or the newer Watson.
Round body for 12's and square for the smaller gauges.
I think round bodies in 28 gauge sometimes look too "small".

Posted By: MyGSPIzzy Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/15/08 07:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning towards the standard sidelock myself and even though the guns are nearly identical, the prices are not. The roundbody is new and the standard is used.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/16/08 05:58 AM
The beauty of the round body is best seen in the Win 24.
Posted By: tanky Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/16/08 01:17 PM
I think they push the round bodies because they get the same price. The flat sides have more file work and the panels on the stock require more work also.
Posted By: KMcMichael Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/16/08 02:01 PM
I have oredered a 28 ga Arrieta with the roung action. I already have one in 20 ga. I myself like to carry the round actions. I like the square action if I am not carrying it too much. Having said that I have a very old 117 AyA that I have carried many many miles, which has a square action, due to the fact that it is kind of beat up. Now that I am a wee bit older and to lazy to crawl through the thickest brush I am going to start carrying my nicer small gauge roung action guns.........unless there are badger holes nearby! I fell in one once that was so deep I swear that I could hear people speaking Chinese and smell noodles cooking.
Posted By: Joe Bernfeld Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/16/08 03:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Amigo Will
The beauty of the round body is best seen in the Win 24.

Good one, Will, the Winchester model 24 needs something to make it beautiful!
K, watch out for those holes; I fell down last year and broke my gun in 2!
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/16/08 04:07 PM
I prefer a hybrid. Flat sides but a small frame with rounded action under the water table and a round splinter, as found on small frame Lefevers and other similar makers. I noticed yesterday on a quail hunt how much I was enjoying carrying the gun at that rounded juncture versus farther back on the reciever.
Posted By: Vol423 Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/17/08 01:04 AM
Are you going to carry it or look at it? I like a sidelock with dropper points for its aesthetics, but the dropper points hang on my thumb and the edge of the stock in the area of the lock plates is sharp. One of the most unappreciated round bodies is the Ruger Gold Label. There is something unappealing in the head of the stock in the area of the toplever, but the gun is a joy to carry and my gun shoots like it has laser guidance. I'll take the round body.
Posted By: DRM Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/17/08 02:14 AM
Round body, sleek and more graceful.
Posted By: Sliver Re: 28ga sidelock - roundbody or not - 11/17/08 05:49 PM
Vol423,

I completely agree! The toplever is not filed in line with the top of the receiver. But the body of the action is very gentle and refined. Aside the poor finish I think it's a great gun, at least estetically.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com