doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Pete The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 06:29 PM
Just thought I'd start a reminiscing topic. After the new style here, the old post numbers were lost. I first showed up at about post #500 and saw Russ deploring the BU nature of NIDs arguing with Ithica afficianadoes. I knew I would like that guy. I remember him saying he showed up at about post #200. Bill Wise was there adding wise information. It wasn't long before Charles7, alias Wonko the Sane and earlier nom d'plumes was posting. Some of our current researchers were there and we have lost some over the years. I hope they are doing well.

I remember a wild man from Texas who dearly loved his Mod 31 Remingtons and was in heaven when he finally found an engraved one. He got into a problem when he used a match to check the level in a whiskey barrel, but was healing up when he suddenly posted no more. Hope he was buried with his engraved 31.

The board was more fun then as the threads showed the topics in them and the subject matter sometimes changed to more interesting topics. I forget the number of topics when the board changed, but I think it was maybe 25,000.

Feel free to add old stories of those days and early posts and friends no longer seen.

Pete
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 07:11 PM
I too miss the 'old days'. We didn't always agree but we didn't attack each other/ There was respect and civility.
Posted By: Cary Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 07:20 PM
Pete: I came along quite a bit after you- seems like around post number 5,000. I had moved within the last two years from Alaska to Idaho to Tennessee and finally to Georgia and had never seen the Internet. Wife got a computer for work and I remember sitting there looking at it wondering what it did. Typed in Gun Shop and guess where I wound up?

I thought I was the only person in the world who still liked doubles and was sure I was the only person who liked LeFevers. Low and behold, I stumbled into a nest of Ithaca and LeFever folks and haven't left yet.

You're right, it was wild and crazy- you and Ruppel standing back to back taking on all commers (sp) about Ithacas, Oscar and Bill Wise diving into the frey with calm logical advice. Some guys named FH and Daley going at it like Jews and Nazis while you stood back throwing bombs. Meeker was taking on the trolls, Rocketman was burning out into the atmosphere and a Lady (capital L intentional) named Montana showed more knowledge and grace than 50% of the board combined.

Remember the guy from Chile? Intelligent and a great sense of humor. Really liked him. In fact, still do. Remember a beginning shotgunner from Utah, always asking for advice about W.C. Scott guns? I think he died and went to Pa. So many woderfull people.

Most of all, I remember when folks had problems and came to the board, not for advice but to share with friends. Seems Mike's baby girl should be alright but I wore out a pair of Levis praying for her. So many others suffered tremendous losses and the entire board grieved with them.

Good times they were. And we managed not to discuss politics.

Thanks for the memories old friend. Keep the coyote population down.

Cary
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 08:04 PM
I don't know how I ever found this place. I guess I just wandered in aimlessly. I was afraid to give my real name because people always told me to watch out who you talked to on the internet. I remember watching Charles Manson's parole hearing and he said how much fun he had talking on the internet, so I used the name Don Nolan back then. There were far less people back then and I remember going around and everyone told their names, how old they were and when their birthdays were. I still remember some of your ages or about- Jim Legg should be about 73 March 6th. Chuck H about 48. Chief Shotguns about 68. Don Moody about 63. Oscar would have been about 75. Pinduck should be about 74. John Mann 69. Erik Koik (haven't heard from him in a while) would be about 51 or 52. Wayne Nish would be about 55 or 56. Geno's about 48. I can't remember how old you are Pete. I still have the 20 gauge Superposed you told me to buy. Sweet gun. I can't remember how old Russ would have been. Well into his 70s. But it has been fun.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 08:19 PM
You got me right. Wonder why you remember peoples' ages?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 08:47 PM
I remember well when Wayne Nish frequented the board, and received his matched pair of bespoke guns.

Cary, that was Mike in Utah. He found a 10 ga. L. C. Smith in a gun shop out there near him and posted about it. I contacted him, he went back and examined it closer, and upon his word of recommendation I bought it. Still have it. He called me one day about a W & C Scott my cousin had for sale. I was on a "Hi-boy" spraying in the middle of a cotton field when he called my cell. We talked for awhile right there concerning it.

A gentleman from, I believe, Minnesota p.m.ed me one day after reading my post questioning the performance of the old original Super-X Luballoy shot loads in the Super Foxes. I had just gotten my HE Fox. He graciously offered to send me an entire box of the old original shells at no cost, and did so. He posted under the name Cheryl Olsen. What a gracious gentleman. He would not accept a dime even for postage. Said I sounded like someone that would appreciate them. He'll never know how much.

So many friends on here I've never met eye to eye, but hope to someday. I hope to meet smallbore next month at the auction at Charlton Hall in Columbia, S. C. I hope some others on here will be in attendance, too.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 09:41 PM
I'm just a "newbie" compared to most. I remember stumbling on here because sxs are what I like the most, I have a few o/u, but prefer sxs and especially "elsies". In the very begining I had a problem with putting an "elsie" back together and Russ helped me through the whole process even though he had just explained it a short time before. He took the time and did it.
I always liked the posts from Oscar, I would go back into the past pages and read them.

There is so much information and wisdom on here that books could be written about it.
I have posted and asked for help on a few things, and everyone was gracious to help with what they knew.
I've read posts here about bluing and even taking dents out, and now I feel comfortable in doing both the bluing and etching, and have taken some dents out.

This is a great place and I agree that politics and name calling don't belong here.
I hope this site can stay the way it is and the only thing that can make it go wrong is us.
Posted By: James M Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 10:25 PM
I am a relative newcomer to this board but I've been buying and using all types of firearms including shotguns for over 50 years.
I am hoping to live long enough to see the day when it won't be necessary to take politics into consideration in regards to our hobby. If there had been a type of Internet back in the 1950s these discussions wouldn't have been necessary as basically everyone believed the right to keep and bear arms was an individul constitutional right.
Unfortunately those of certain political pursuasions who would like to take this right away as has been done elsewhere remain as active as ever. We can either fight to keep this right or ignore the very active effort to eliminate it. I chose to fight so my grandchildren will be able to enjoy the same freedoms we have today.
That Politics is now an intergal part of this hobby is unfortunate but hoping the real threats we face will just go away is dreaming.
I agree that name calling is NOT something that should be tolerated here. However if someone posts something related to firearms and politics and it's wrong or misleading the record has to be set straight.
There are threads on here that don't interest me so I just skip them and there's no reason any of you can't do the same when it's of a political nature.
Jim
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 10:47 PM
I miss those times many moons ago when Ole' Cowboy and I were on the "same page". It seems like yesterday yet it was so long ago.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 10:49 PM
I started here fall of 95 or spring 96 don't remember now.I remember when this new style forum started most thought Lowell was the old FH.Guess Ol Lighting is gone for good but nice to see Wanko pop his head in once in a while. I remember we got a couple of Mikes that had babies close together and they should be around eight or nine now.On the old forum you could just pickout the responces you wanted to look at.I remember John Mann getting his first and second Lindner Daly. Mr. Wise informed us of the correct spelling of Lindner not Linder.Most all the Texas folks are gone including Greg Tag head of the EIEIO.Big news is I'm heading back to Alaska and probably won't have electricy let alone internet but I will have snow capped mountain year round and bears eating out of my bird feeders. I have noticed not as many complain about my poor spelling now days, not that speeling has to do anything with guns.
Posted By: Randall Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 10:55 PM
Originally Posted By: JDW
I'm just a "newbie" compared to most. I remember stumbling on here

Likewise.

And fortunately for me, I had the great privilege of almost immediately 'meeting' several gentlemen I of course knew nothing about @ the time. One of them was named Bill Wise.

It was only after several emails, and a couple of snail mails (thanks to Rosalie, of course!), that I fully grasped Bill's situation and the extent of his great wisdom. Wisdom he was so unselfishly and humbly willing to share.

Bill and those 'early days' (early to me anyway) are both missed.
Posted By: erik meade Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/14/08 11:33 PM
I don't post on here much now, since the collective knowledge here far exceeds anything I have to contribute (plus my interests have moved away from the doubleguns and back to the 870's that I love.)

However I am grateful to have been here way back at the beginning when I was in my early 20's, trying to figure life out. I remember a kind email of encouragement that I received from Walt Snyder. That sense of community was good.

I miss the old posting format.

I can't believe that over a dozen years have gone by already.

Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 12:23 AM
Gunshop, has always taken on all at face value - no DNA samples needed, nor wanted - unlike the stodgy gang bangers at ssmbbs.
Posted By: Lee the First Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 12:34 AM
Jeeeze, Guys. No words, only tears will come! Lee
Posted By: Bret Adams Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 12:38 AM
I found this site, soon after I got my 1st PC. Windows 98 was new then. Larry Barnes was still with us, and CDR Guenther was still posting a lot. I do miss some of the old people. Bill Wise was the 1st person I ever talked to off the board, and he was as good an example, for all of us, that it gets.
I don't come here often these days, and hate to admit it, but I used to consider all repeaters, similar to a rat trap, made up of parts right out of the bins. In The last couple years, a dozen Rem 31's, have found a home here......
Posted By: Brian Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 03:56 AM
It was three or four deployments ago when I found this site. 97-98??? Hell I dont remember I can tell you that while I am deployed its about the only thing I access. Surfing the interent for whatever doesnt interest me much. But reading and occasionally contributing a post does. Keep it up boys.

I wish i could say I liked the old format better. Initially when Dave changed I wasnt thrilled but you get used to it.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 05:45 AM
Brian I have a challenge coin you sent to many of us for sending books to your troops.Task Force Panther,Task Force Devil 2002-2003.No sence being a LEG when you can soar with the Eagles Airborne all the way
Posted By: Brian Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 07:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Amigo Will
Brian I have a challenge coin you sent to many of us for sending books to your troops.Task Force Panther,Task Force Devil 2002-2003.No sence being a LEG when you can soar with the Eagles Airborne all the way

Amigo Will,
you know this one: What do you see when you lift up a chickens tail feathers?
Dirty Nasty LEGs!!!
All The Way!
Posted By: JayCee Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 02:38 PM
Lee,you got me there!

I started with the old format maybe in 2000, really don't remember. Found it by searching for gun shop too I think.

I do remember when Wayne Nish got his bespoke matched pair and someone said it was absurd to get one considering the type of hunting available in the US; I remember justifying it just by the joy it would give me to open the gun case.

Bill Wise... well now I really can't see the keyboard. What an example!

What a surprise it was when I learned Montana was a Lady, knowledgeable, great sense of humour, enthusiastic and proficient shooter... Not my intention to sound like a male chauvinist pig btw.

Oscar's posts are really missed; he even took the time to answer emails with very basic questions. Back then Michael Orlen posted a lot more under MrMoe.

Lots of memories, like the long thread about the basque shepherds and the gun trove that I never got around to read in its entirety.

Cary, thank you.

JC
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 03:59 PM
I can't remember when I first found the old site..but I had just bought my first Double...a 1904 Francotte model 14,which was beautiful ,but had a host of problems.
I was in a real panic....you guys put me onto Abe Chaber who looked it over & called the well respected dealer & helped me get my $$ back.
Learned the worth of a good 'smiths evaluation right quick.
I always enjoy this place & have learned a fair bit since then.
Always thought this the best of the gunsites.
I just looked it up , & I'm member #46
cheers to all
Franc
Posted By: rabbit Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 04:34 PM
My home page since the day I found Gunshop. Before that, I hung out at Shotgun Sports Skeet forum until the alpha dog "experts" made it intolerable. Lots of good moments: mischief month with John Mann; "lessons" with Don Amos, Dave Noreen, Bill Murphy; seat-of-the-pants advice from Jim Legg; one long, incredible headache trying to follow the fact-finding/myth-busting of Miller Fulks; help from Chuck Heald and a nameless host when I wanted to "cook" the right sear in my AyA; the wood-finishing arcana of the British "invasion"; conversations with JC and tw on the back channel; meeting Owleye and realizing what a job it was to send me off-color jokes by private e (Wonder how many of you laughed over "Ed Jackery disease" and woke up to find Bill in the hospital?). And some embarassing moments, awkward moments, argie-bargie, mistakes of expression and comprehension on my part which I regret. Like a "century" ride by bicycle, exhausting, sometimes painful and humbling, and worth the effort. A good ride. May it continue.

jack
Posted By: Cary Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 04:47 PM
Stan- The Mike I was refering to is the same as you were refering to. Marksman was his handle then but now he's Utah Shotgunner. Your tag line was something about 100 bale/acre cotton. Seemed like a lot of cotton to me...

Amigo Will- What part of Alaska are you going home to? I hope you'll find the peace you've long sought and I pray for you.

JayCee- I wish someone had kept a copy of the saga of Tolly the Shepard and his wife, Elspith. John Mann is one of the finest to ever post here or anywhere else and that was his finest work. To quote Montana, "Bravo!"

Pete- You need to (alright, I need you to) run another stock blank give away. I'm pretty sure the last one was rigged and I'm bitter. After Christmas I'll be sending for a blank for a Nitro Special. Do you still paint the address on the blank and drop it in the mail or was that just a dirty trick you pulled on 8 Bore? He had it comming for going to the wrong high school.

There are so many memories of so many fine people on this board. I've actualy met only one other member and he was inactive when I met him, Jerry Van Horne, but if I go back to Pa. to return an old Stevens I plan to look up Marksman.

Cary
Posted By: KY Jon Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 04:52 PM
Half the posters, I use to like the best, have moved on. Some to the gun room in the sky, a few off line, I hope. This site has saved me thousands of dollars, the shared knowledge preventing me from making even worse mistakes in gun purchases. On the other side it has cost me about the same amount of money by showing me more and more guns that I just seemed to have to have when a good one came along.

When I die, my wife will have one heck of a sale and you are all invited to see and buy what you want. No perfect guns here, just well cared for guns that will need another home where they can be used and enjoyed. A complete inventory is left for her that includes all the values and best ways to liquidate my accumulation. Thanks for the ride.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 05:11 PM
Cary I will start out in the Wrangell and Prince of Wales island area.Once again its the bears and I belive a top record book blacky can be had on POW.I watch hundreds and shoot very few,mostly when meat is needed.The lower 49 has proved to much for me and its time to sit back leaning against a few hundred year old spruce over looking good ground and take a nap.
Posted By: Pete Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 05:24 PM
Instead of email photos, I used to send video tapes of stock blanks I had for sale. I sent these in brown paper wrappers and found out I had caused some grief for some who received them. "Not more of THOSE tapes!" "Naw honey, these are tapes of pretty wood!" Wonder if she ever believed THAT!

Instead of putting on an external paper cover that could come off, I put the addy right on the wood itself until I found out that UPS charged me an extra $5 without a cover. Now I send them covered but with the addy still on the stock in case the cover comes off.

As for Charles Hill (he still hates Chas, Chuck, Charlie, and Chuckipoo) alias Wonko the Sane, he is still seen at the Reno show walking around. He still looks older than hell and has long hair in Frisco bag lady style, but is still upright. He used to be a troll of the top magnitude and was an effective flamer until he flamed Bill Wise then found out about Bill's paraplegic condition and Chas really felt bad about what he had said. It really changed his demeanor and he became a welcome addition to our family. "Wonko's Brew" is still used by many to remove old finish.

This is simply THEE site for gaining knowledge on doubles. If you stick around a few years, the knowledge gained will dwarf 99% of people at gun shows. My great thanks to all who have helped my education over these many years. I have really enjoyed meeting many of you at the gun shows and my home, and the best of the season to you all.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 06:54 PM
I can't believe you guys are getting all emotional and remeniscing about a dadgum internet chat room. I've been around long enough to remember all the references you're making, but I've got suits (well, ties anyway) that I've had longer than there has been an internet.

When I think about it though, I have spent a lot of quality time keeping up with all of you, and I've learned more about doubleguns here than from all I have read anywhere else. Despite the recent unpleasantness over the elections, this group has mostly been civil and always knowledgeable and helpful...Geo
Posted By: Researcher Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 07:15 PM
I didn't get a home computer until Christmastime 1998, so I guess that makes me a latecomer. I see the lowest number where I saved my "canned response" was #5303.
Posted By: Pete Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 08:29 PM
Remember the guy who found the matched pair of Boss's in the false section of the dresser he bought?
Posted By: JayCee Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 08:31 PM
Cary, just because I didn't mention it does not make it less important,but ALL I know about doubles comes from this board's generous participants.

All the guns I have I got mainly out of intuition, but you have consolidated my possessions.

I have been lucky to meet a fellow poster in the flesh, and the things we had in common were, to say the least, uncanny. I could still be sitting with him in an endless conversation.

I dearly regret not being able to share a few moments with Owleye, but...

I have come to realize that I may be becoming an almost sentimental old fool. The almost is in reference to the "old" part.

JC

Posted By: Lee the First Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/15/08 11:15 PM
Pete, I remember those Bosses well. In fact I was the one who initially raised the red flag on that. Of course, that was only the luck of timing as someone wiser that me would have nailed it. That was early in my tenure here but I can't for the life of me pin a date on it. Lee
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/16/08 01:11 AM
It was just in the past year I had the courage to delete Oscar's e-mail address. It was 1975 when we meet at the Hoopstown gun show.
He called me to tell me about the new Double Gun Journal and this board. I seem to remember getting gray then.

bill
Posted By: Chukarman Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/17/08 12:31 AM
I miss Wonko, The Red Neck Journal, Old Lightnin', Bill Wise, and other early contributors.

Everytime I think everything has been said, something new pops up. So I still check in from time to time.

I notice my stock has gone down... from 4 stars to two. I guess I misbehaved in class?
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/17/08 01:39 AM
Walt Im with you. It use to be more informative with much less BS.
What I miss most aboout the old days is Mr. Russ Rupple. He always had something intertaining to say.
I remember one time the topic was a dealer had an "unfinnished Optimus". Russ's responce to that was "Ive got a hole room full of unfinnished Optimus"
Bob
Posted By: L. Brown Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/17/08 12:36 PM
Brian, I've got one of those coins as well, and I must remind you that the answer to the question "What comes out of the sky?" is "Birdsh*t!"
Posted By: Grampajack Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/17/08 02:14 PM
I don't post much anymore but I still check in once a week or so. For those new to the forum the real character of the people who frequent this site was demonstrated after hurricane Katrina. Like all "families" we have our issues but when trouble shows up the personal agenda is set aside. I still can't believe what was done. What John Mann started as an idea turned into something very special. Jack
Posted By: M D Christian Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/17/08 02:27 PM
My fondest memories are when The entire board rallied around Bill Wise and myself with the raffle to help Dale Dalrymple when he had his accident.. MDC
Posted By: LeeS Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/17/08 04:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Grampajack
.... For those new to the forum the real character of the people who frequent this site was demonstrated after hurricane Katrina. Like all "families" we have our issues but when trouble shows up the personal agenda is set aside. I still can't believe what was done. What John Mann started as an idea turned into something very special. Jack

Mr. Mann organized a very useful and timely thing. It felt good to play a small part in that.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/17/08 05:40 PM
I could always remember license plates and ages, but I was usually terrible with names. I am just starting to remember the names of the guys I have been shooting skeet with all summer, but I remember the license numbers on their cars. Strange how the mind works. Lee the first should be about 68. yobyllib should be about 39 or 40. Franc Otte should be about 50. Researcher about 62 or 63. Ky Jon about 51. Cary is about the same age as I am- 61. Bill Wise would be about 69 by now. I never knew how old Larry Brown was, I assumed mid 60s. Geno should be about 48. How close am I guys?
Posted By: Pete Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/17/08 05:47 PM
I am still 29
Posted By: eightbore Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/17/08 05:48 PM
Skeet?
Posted By: PFD Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/17/08 10:47 PM
I don't post anymore either - guess I have gone back to shooting my doubles more than talking about them, including in bizarre places like Namibia and Tanzania. I learned a lot from those early days guys like Russ and Bill Wise, and I do remember getting into it with Wonko at least once. I guess I got tired of some of the repetitive topics ("Your favorite double?" "Your favorite gun dog?" "Your favorite double to shoot your favorite gun dog with?"). For me, on the first two anyway, it's still my factory 24-inch barrel Parker VH 28 gauge, and English pointers.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/18/08 12:03 AM
If mid-60's start at 65, I'm still shy of that. But not by as much as I'd like to be!
Posted By: Lee the First Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/18/08 02:54 AM
Jimmy W., You're pretty close. I'm 69 facing 70 in June. You're amazing!
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/18/08 06:45 AM
Grandpa Jack should have been about 63 this past summer. MD Christian should be about 74. rabbit should be about 60. katienjessie from Mesquite, Texas should be about 61. Geo. Newbern should have been 60, I think this past June. And Jim Legg's birthday is on March 6th which is two days after Dave Katt's which is on March 4th, so he should be 56 next March 4th. Ha- Ha. Am I creepin' you guys out? It really creeps my son out when he asks me movie stars or sports people's age and I usually get pretty close. But I never can remember people's name. He usually has to say, "You know that guy who......" And Pete, I think I remember you telling us a long time ago that you found a $100.00 bill in the buttstock of a gun under the pad. But I don't remember the guy finding the Bosses. My memory must be going bad. Mad Cow. You know?
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/18/08 08:26 AM
You wouldn't be finding folks that filled out their profiles would you Jimmy.I would guess now that you know the names and ages you will soon start smokeing crack and steal their guns.At least thats what I heard what happens.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/18/08 01:28 PM
Will, we had thread on here one time where folks disclosed their ages. Denny Crane must have saved it because he sure nailed my age. If that's not where he got it, it may be a LITTLE CREEPY, because my birthday is not in my profile...Geo
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/18/08 01:39 PM
What a great thread Pete.

I see a few kind words directed my way and for those I say thank you.

As I remember I first got online at this site in late '97 with a hand me down computer running Windows 3.1 and 'free' AOL access to the web. I am not sure when I first posted but I clearly remember posting a question about my first W&C Scott from a hotel in KY in '98. Still have it and it is currently undergoing renovation.

My daughter will be 8 y.o. and proudly marching through the second grade. Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers over the years. She was followed on by a second daughter who will be 6 y.o. the week before her sisters birthday.

Lots of memories posted here. I'll have to come back and read this thread in detail. Work beckons for now.

Mike, formally known as 'Marksman'
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/19/08 01:21 AM
I don't remember how old you are, Will. I don't ever remember you saying, but from the way you have always talked, I would guess you are about my age. About 60.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/19/08 01:24 AM
I might have been a little high on Russ's age. He probably would have been about 72 by now and I think his birthday was on Christmas? Does anyone remember for sure?
I just turned 39 and I've been here since '98. I went anon a few years ago to protect myself from website wackos.

I've learned a lot here and met some great people through the board.

How the heck did you guys find out about these things before the web? The process must have been SLOOOOW!

OWD
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/19/08 05:30 AM
Jimmy I turned 17 on 7-29-65 and 8-25-65 found me at Dago in Boot Camp.
Posted By: Chasseur d'ours Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/19/08 07:28 AM
Liek OWD, I'm a younger guy, but I've been here since 2002. Actually I lurked before then from 1999 or so off and on. I don't post much, but love learning from people on the board!
Posted By: JayCee Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/19/08 12:59 PM
A usual poster back then was AYA Jeff with all his baggage of AyA knowledge.
Whatever happened to him?

I seem to remember Ted mentioned contacting him recently.

JC
Posted By: King Brown Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/19/08 02:43 PM
I know from PMs that ignorance, bad manners, lack of common courtesy, disgraceful language and an inability to keep a civil tongue deprived us of valuable contrbuters to the board. No need to wonder where or why they went. Although the abuse was rarely directed at them, it wasn't company they wanted to keep.
Posted By: jim sears Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/19/08 07:07 PM
I am not sure when I looked in on this site but I traded Pete the first nine or ten years of the Double Gun Journal for 3 super stock blanks around 10 years ago. Still have one of them, just haven't found the right gun for it yet.
Remember the long diatribes we used to get into with HE WHO CAN'T BE MENTIONED? What a nitwit that guy was.
Pete this thread was a great idea. Say helo to Wonko for me.

tight lines Jim Sears
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/20/08 01:43 AM
'tight lines'

I haven't seen that signature in quite a while.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/20/08 01:55 AM
Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
It was just in the past year I had the courage to delete Oscar's e-mail address. It was 1975 when we meet at the Hoopstown gun show.

bill

I finally deleted Oscar's, Russ' and Bill's when we moved and my email address changed.

Then I happened to click into the address book of my hotmail account. They're all still listed. I haven't brought myself to delete them again.
Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/20/08 02:46 AM
What a great read! I lurk more than anything but used to post on Stevens, Miroku's, Simsons and other poor boy guns. Now I'm into Remington 17s, 1950s 870s and other undervalued corn shuckers. I paid for my girls braces, all three, with the last of the over valued SxSs I had. I was always a hunter first anyway. Oscar and Russ were always great and when I got to meet Bill Wise I was a better person for it.

I still drop in now and again but had my hand smacked for trying to sell a 17 to a good home awhile back.

Posted By: Randall Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/20/08 04:30 AM
I still have PMs and emails from Bill.

When he found out I had a young son (8 @ the time), he sent me a copy of his short story "Father's Day".

(now available @ http://www.doublegunshop.com/billwise1.htm )

A few days later, he emailed me some thoughts regarding my time spent w/ my son, which I still re-read when the father/son relationship gets a little strained, as can occasionally be the case w/ a 13 year old.

Doublegunshop.com - a site about SxS shotguns?

Yes, but w/ men like Bill around, it occasionally was (and w/ any luck will continue to occasionally be) so much more.
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/20/08 05:35 AM
I didn't realise the board had THAT much heritage. Amazing.

Also, I wish I knew the post on the board when it was called gunshop were being auto-deleted after some time. I'd have saved some of the threads.

This is an unbelievable place and it's a priviledge to be here.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/20/08 12:02 PM
HD for those that did save the info many computer crashes have lost it anyway.At one time there was a movement to have Dave publish the forum each year but it never realy worked out.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/20/08 12:23 PM
That's funny...
Posted By: L. Brown Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/20/08 12:46 PM
I wandered in here a long time ago. Started out looking for internet doublegun advertisers, back when dealers were first getting into that game. Eventually found this place. A wealth of great information and great people. Some, like Russ, Bill Wise, and Larry Barnes, sadly no longer with us.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/21/08 07:03 PM
I've received a few Emails asking if I had been insulted, lost interest, or prefered the company somewhere else.

None of the above. I have a two year old son, work has been tremendously busy, and my main and favorite hunting partner, my Father, is dying of lung cancer. Plus, it's bird season, you guys-give the blue screen a rest!

I'm in contact with some of the regulars at the email address, which is tedjs@usfamily.net Try me there.

I do my best to answer Darne questions (stupid looks, as always, are still FREE!) but I ask for a bit of patience. Mr. Gournet can always help, also.

Do me a favor, and get out there with a fine gun ( that includes old pumps!) and chase a bird or two behind a dog. We can talk more after the season is over.

Good Hunting!
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/21/08 08:52 PM
Gosh! I just finished reading final post in this thread and am now relaxing a bit with the memories this thread has conjured up. I first found this board after I started buy the DGJ off the shelf each month at Barnes and Noble. When was that? About '94 or '95?? Other than the Stevens 311 my dad bought me on my 13th birthday many years ago, I had no double guns until I logged into this board (well, the DGJ helped a lot with the stimulus to buy a new one). The first one I bought was an Uggie model 30 from Dale Dalrymple, and it was on that transaction that I really came to appreciate doubles and, with Dale, the fine peope who associate themselves with this type of firearm. Oscar's writings caused my first Damascus purchase - a Remington side hammer that I still shoot with low pressure 2.5 inchers. Then came the over and unders, then the double rifle, then the large bore single-shot, then a really nice Merkel with fancy wood. Great memories, but best of all are the associations formed with some on this board, mostly only via cyber-space. I remember meeting you Pete, and Wonko (Charles) and many others for a get together and picture at the Benfield show in Vegas. Ah yes, thanks for the memories!!!!
Posted By: PeteM Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/21/08 09:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I've received a few Emails asking if I had been insulted, lost interest, or prefered the company somewhere else.

None of the above. I have a two year old son, work has been tremendously busy, and my main and favorite hunting partner, my Father, is dying of lung cancer. Plus, it's bird season, you guys-give the blue screen a rest!

I'm in contact with some of the regulars at the email address, which is tedjs@usfamily.net Try me there.

I do my best to answer Darne questions (stupid looks, as always, are still FREE!) but I ask for a bit of patience. Mr. Gournet can always help, also.

Do me a favor, and get out there with a fine gun ( that includes old pumps!) and chase a bird or two behind a dog. We can talk more after the season is over.

Good Hunting!
Best,
Ted

Ted,

I had wondered if something was amiss. I am sorry to hear about your dad. I will say a pray for him and the entire family. Things change so much when dad leaves. It has been better than 25 years now, but I still miss mine.

Pete
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/22/08 06:07 AM
Pete,
Thanks. Dad did twenty two years active duty in the USMC, ten years reserve, could run the 100 yard dash faster then me through high schol ( I set the state record in 1978, which, didn't last long, but, you get the point) could always box better than me, and instructed snipers with 7th (?) rifle corps. His skills with a rifle actually hurt his shotgunning, I believe, and he never caught on with a two-holer like I did. He also smoked like a steam engine for 50 of his 80 years. This wasn't unexpected. We knew something was up when he stopped going to the gym for his usual, every day, three hour workout (a jarhead to the bitter end!) and he had recently lost 20 of his 137 or so tough-as-shoe leather pounds of weight.

My only regret is that he will be a faint, vanishing memory to his only gandson. Since that is my only regret, I'm guessing I'm doing OK.

A great Thanksgiving to all. The grouse are a complete nuisance in Pine county this year, lots of them, flying from tree to tree. I used my 1957 vintage model 37 16 gauge to take the last one, off of a truly idiotic looking, tail drooping point from my knuckleheaded 10 year old English Setter.

My blessings, leave me in in awe, on a daily basis.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: King Brown Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/22/08 01:51 PM
About your grandson, Ted: you don't seem the kind of guy to leave anything significant as a vanishing memory. My grandchildren know who their great-grandfather was, maybe in a more poignant and glowing sense than if they had known him. This is certainly the way of families of storytellers.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/22/08 02:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Perry M. Kissam
I remember meeting you Pete, and Wonko (Charles) and many others for a get together and picture at the Benfield show in Vegas. Ah yes, thanks for the memories!!!!

I need to dig through a couple of hard drives. I have a picture or two from that day. Oddly I don't remember you being there.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/22/08 06:49 PM
One thing I have noticed is none of the old folks play forum moderator and tell folks what is allowed.In the old days we covered about everything with no complains.Now days the newer folks jump on everything and for sure the sale section where I have seen some nice Winchester 22's as well a a S&W or two sell among other items.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/23/08 08:50 PM
Ted, sorry to hear your son will miss spending more time with Granddad. I have fond memories of my grandparents. And your dad certainly sounds like a typical Gyrene!
Posted By: postoak Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/24/08 03:18 AM
I have met many good and helpful folks, both online and in person since I joined 6 years ago. I have received some good advice here also.

It has also prompted me to spend many thousands of dollars, that I would have otherwise pissed away on Equities and Bonds
Posted By: JohnM Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com *DELETED* - 11/24/08 04:42 AM
Post deleted by JohnM
Posted By: foxhound Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/24/08 12:52 PM
Postoak
What an AWESOME realization! I didn't think about that. Man, and it is true! Thanks ! I will enjoy my doubles all the more now. Only been here a few years, but I can't describe how much daily enjoyment, learning and daily doses of sanity I have gotten from this site. Rock on!

Rick
Posted By: Hansli Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/24/08 02:48 PM
Ted sed:
Quote:
My blessings, leave me in in awe, on a daily basis.

Can't factor it to prime any better than that. Thanks.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/25/08 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
Originally Posted By: Perry M. Kissam
I remember meeting you Pete, and Wonko (Charles) and many others for a get together and picture at the Benfield show in Vegas. Ah yes, thanks for the memories!!!!

I need to dig through a couple of hard drives. I have a picture or two from that day. Oddly I don't remember you being there.

I don't have the picture in front of me now, but if my memory serves me correctly, I was either the 1st or 2nd person from the left. Silver hair and mustache.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 11/27/08 01:31 AM
Finally on the correct computer. I could only find three pictures, here are two of them.

Beinfeld 2001.

I can identify most of the people in the pics but feel free to put your name to a face.

Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 12/03/08 12:41 AM
Not one person willing to acknowledge their presence in this picture?

I see a Wonko, Pete, Luckydog, Turnbull, Hill, David Moses, Jerry Lape, Don Amos, Alan Griffith, Steve Meyer.

The rest will need to identify themselves.
Posted By: JayCee Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 12/03/08 12:45 PM
Hello Mike,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. It is great to be able to put a face to some of the posters. Could you be more specific as to who is who?

Early thanks.

JC
Posted By: jameister Re: The Early Days at Gunshop.com - 12/06/08 05:38 PM
I recall that show. spent a few dollars for sure. met wonko, Jerry, Pete, adn others. Merkels forever!

I also recall getting some great information when none was around. the great John Mann Hoax.. Pete did you ever sell your old snow machine jeep tank thingy?

and the endless fox is better than parker is better than winchester is better than fox.
but they were ALL better than BUNID. I did not even know what a BUNID was...until my dad bought one and tried to give it to me.

One of the great gifts of the information age is this site.
never in doubt, but ofter wrong! the internet blogosphere
best to all.

jameister, aka merkelmeister, aka merkelmaniac. in the early years.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com