doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Last Dollar Grays Sporting Journal? - 10/16/08 09:56 AM
I used to subscribe to Grays, are there any current subscribers, and what do you think of it these days?
Posted By: King Brown Re: Grays Sporting Journal? - 10/16/08 12:12 PM
Doesn't do much for me, so I don't buy it.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Grays Sporting Journal? - 10/16/08 12:39 PM
I've subscribed to it since it first came out; even through the time period when it was going broke and was printed in the "weekly reader" pamphlet style. Its slicker than it used to be but the overall writing quality has slipped. What I used to like most about Grays was the formatting they used so that the articles read straight through instead of "see page so-and-so", but they have too much advertising to do that now. Overall, I'm still a Grays fan and will continue to subscribe...Geo
Posted By: Montana Re: Grays Sporting Journal? - 10/16/08 01:14 PM
I prefer the issues that focus on bird hunting and so on, but I think the writing is pretty good. The last few issues I have read cover to cover. It is not oriented the same way as DGJ or SSM. More like literature some times.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Grays Sporting Journal? - 10/16/08 01:35 PM
I liked it and subscribed to it for a few years. But there was a bit too much fishing in it for me. I did like the poems on the last page each month.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Grays Sporting Journal? - 10/16/08 01:36 PM
No, this mag seems to cater to ole' money. It makes me think of huge southern estate/plantations. It's too 'Billionaire Boys Club' for me.
On the cover the DSGJ seems worse, but inside you can find articles by Joe Avg there and stories about guns just about anyone could own. That is true inner beauty of The Double Gun & Single Shot Journal.
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Grays Sporting Journal? - 10/16/08 03:08 PM
I've been an off-and-on subscriber for years; I think I have a year left right now but probably will not re-up, because 1) If John Hewitt doesn't come back after his stroke, at least 50% of the reason to read it will be gone; 2) The editors' idea of what is "sporting" and mine have drifted miles apart; 3) It's become mostly another travel guide for people with more money than sense; and 4) There's some good writing there, but it's become way too "cliquey" in my opinion.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com