doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Rockdoc Will your heart survive the hunting season? - 09/05/08 08:52 PM
Hunting season is fast approaching. From what I understand, every year the top killer of American sportsmen is heart attacks. Now’s way past the time to start getting into shape for the season (better late then never), lets not have any board members become fresh statistics this hunting season.
Steve
Ticker and BP in good shape!
6" and 172lbs.
Me and the pooch have been bicycling regularly and both have lost weight and toned up.
That's wonderful Lowell, believe it or not your one of the people I enjoy on this forum.
Steve
PS I wish I had such good specs this year, unfortunately the past few years have been a bitch and its beginning to take its toll.
Thanx doc!
The down side is that I smoke and have to pee often!
Lowell,
Having to pee alot is a common symtom of prostrate troubles, if you haven't done it get your PSA checked. My prostrate has been my latest medical adventure. About a week ago I had a prostrate biopsy, a really invasive nasty totally uncomfortable but nearly painless procedure. I'll be finding out next week why my PSA is elevated, there is a +70% chance it's NOT cancer. However, even if it is, better to catch it early then too late.
Steve
At last count... a - .04??????????????????????????
Anyway the doctor said I was fine.
Fantastic!!!!
Rockdoc, he said he has to pee often, not that he has to pee alot. Two different problems. Of course some people have both problems. They are known as pissers. All three varieties should have slings on their sporting guns.
nial
Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Ticker and BP in good shape!
6" and 172lbs.

Geez at 6 inches your a tad shorter than most here expected!!
Jim
You guys are brutal!
Getting a physical in about 10 days, but I'm up to 5 miles of running on my "long" days, and my resting pulse rate is in the mid-50's. Wish I were still in the mid-50's!
Personally, if my ticker gave out on a hunt, I'd be okay with that. My partner, of course, would not.
I shoulda said 7"
Italiansxs,,,damn..you beat me to it...I had a slightly different reply to Muted Tweedthorn
hi lowell..you old sod!
Franc
Hey ol'bean pot!
Hope life's treating you well...so what was your reply going to be?
Tell me about the ticker! Of course my cancer meds probably caused some of the problems. But last Dec. 3,2007, while hunting, I had the classic feeling of needing to burp,pain down the inside of left arm and jaw bone pain. I actually called my Dr. from the woods. One of the reasons again though is because of my cancer meds that had me concerned. He said, no that wasn't it but come in as soon as I can or call 911. Yep, I had a blockage. On Dec. 6, I had a stent placed in my heart. I feel great right away and actually went back to hunting within 5 days. Though I didn't tell my Dr. The huge concern after a stent is bleeding at the entry point. Blow that incision and I was told I have 3 min. to get my life in order. The funny part of all this is I have NO real colestrol. Well my LDL is 29 and my HDL is 48. So, just don't assume that if you have low numbers, you heart is not in the condition you would think it is in.
Lowell, Peeing often is also a sign of sugar diabetes. Not a good thing at all, I've had 2 heart attacks because of it. You might want to get that checked ASAP.
I don't understand what it means to 'get in shape for the hunting season'. Does that mean it's OK to be out of shape the rest of the year?

As for peeing a lot, there are about 500 different reasons so before we write ol' Lowell off for near-dead let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's smart enough to already know why.
Just an ol'farts enlarged prostate lads, complete blood work-up perfect - PSA too. Not bad for a 60 year old.
I find that the amount of peeing I do is proportional to the amount of beer I drink.After about ten or eleven pints I,m absolutely bursting.Excuse me a moment," mines a pint, and get one for yourself."
Rocdoc is right about PSA. I had mine done in Jan. and it was borderline high. A biopsy showed I had Prostate cancer. The surgery was not difficult as the doc used microscopic procedure that was also robotic. In on Friday and home on Saturday. The hardest part about the whole thing was a cathiter for Ten days. With two active dogs around you really watch where they are going. Last blood check showed I am good to go and no real problems.

Get that PSA done on a regular basis.

Regards, Gordon
My PSA was high 2 or 3 times in a row. Family doc finally said, "You should probably have a biopsy." I did. Urologist said this won't hurt much--like being snapped with a rubber band. Yeah . . . except about the time you get snapped the 5th or 6th time, you may want to whack the urologist up side the head! Anyhow, mine was negative, and the urologist said the high PSA was likely due to calcium deposits, which he spotted on the ultrasound they did before the biopsy procedure.
Had a stendt put in 3 years ago at 51 years old and have been taking lipitor and plavix since..the doc said I had one artery that was 95% blocked so while he was in there he checked the rest and said they all looked fine.....Since then Iv lost 35 lbs but still weigh 250 at 6' 1"...going to see my cardiologist on the 18th for my yearly check up....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com