April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jem Finch, Fudd, Argo44, 1 invisible), 444 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,471
Posts545,151
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, gjw, graybeardtmm3, gunmaker, John Roberts, keith, mc, SKB, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#643725 03/08/2024 12:12 AM
by jlb
jlb
It seems the snap actions are not being made (marketed?). What are the + - of snap action guns compared to similar quality side lock guns?

Thanks

jlb
Liked Replies
#643728 Mar 8th a 12:48 AM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
A snap action in regards to double guns, is pretty much any action that uses spring tension to forcefully push the bolting into place.
So, ya….theyre still being made & marketed.
3 members like this
#643752 Mar 8th a 01:09 PM
by KDGJ
KDGJ
A forward snap action. An 1883 rising bite.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ken
2 members like this
#643881 Mar 10th a 06:18 PM
by Steve Helsley
Steve Helsley
My understanding is that a "snap action" is one that can be completely
close and locked without use of the lever (top, side, under or otherwise).
2 members like this
#643734 Mar 8th a 03:09 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by jlb
Please provide examples. Such are rare in NM.

Browse…

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...s/shotguns-english-double.c667_p1_o6.cfm

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#643745 Mar 8th a 09:41 AM
by HistoricBore
HistoricBore
... Snap action is not a phrase that we use much over here...
1 member likes this
#643726 Mar 8th a 12:26 AM
by SKB
SKB
They work quite similarly, it is simply which system won out with the buying public, though you are quite correct in that very few gunmakers have offered them in the last 125 years or so. I have owned quite a few over the years, several T. Woodward patent guns known as the "Spiral spring Woodward", a sidelock Lang and my most recent acquisition is a Grant, I just love the lines and uninterrupted top profile.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The drawbacks to a snap action gun in my mind are mostly related to the lever spring, it is shaped like a tea drop with the center removed and they tend to break occasionally. A complicated and costly repair but not the end of the world either. If you like them and find a good one I see no reason not to grab it.
1 member likes this
#643771 Mar 8th a 08:49 PM
by damascus
damascus
BrentD Prof. I do have to agree with you about "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and then I would disagree with you about that Purdey Snap action thumb leaver bar in wood. It has the smoothest lines of any of the other versions no matter what way you look at it, even Richard Beaumont has said on numerous occasions that the gun's smooth lines design is one of the finest looking guns that Purdey ever made always with the add on "we would gladly make you one" at what cost I ask. I think that this means a lot seeing that Purdey introduced the top leaver opening also. Offering to remake a hundred and fifty year old design exudes a lot of confidence that the design would come up to modern expectations.
1 member likes this
#643748 Mar 8th a 12:19 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
In the general sense of the phrase it is exactly as Dustin described it, but in the narrower usage it refers to an underlever type that required no manual movement, but was bolted by the spring action of the underlever. This was deemed by many to be an improvement over the Jones type underlever which required the lever to be manually moved rearward, bolting the action without the benefit of any automatic (spring assisted) mechanism. So, in the narrowest usage it is "as opposed to" the Jones underlever. Maybe that is what the OP was referring to. (?)

See "Snap action" in Hallowell's excellent firearms dictionary for a description and diagrams:

https://www.hallowellco.com/abbrevia.htm#S
1 member likes this
#643779 Mar 8th a 11:27 PM
by greener4me
greener4me
The term "Snap Action" when applied to the Jones Underlever system of bolt ..really means - Be Careful -where your hand/fingers are located in relation to the lever and the trigger guard when you "snap" the gun closed. How do I know...?
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.