April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (graybeardtmm3, buckstix, Leonard10, Tim in PA, NCTarheel, 1 invisible), 1,031 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,185
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
ChiefAmungum, craigd, David Williamson, Geo. Newbern, GLS, graybeardtmm3, John Roberts, mc, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Argo44
Argo44
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/map-shows-far-colorados-transplanted-190803933.html

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

CPW's December release of 10 collared gray wolves from Oregon was just the first phase of the agency's voter-mandated plan to put viable populations of wolves back on the Colorado landscape. "We've completed our goal for this season and then we're going to start another reintroduction in December of 2024," he says. "The overall plan is to introduced 30 to 50 wolves over the next three to five years."
Liked Replies
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I apologize if I sounded excessively cruel, or inhumane. I never enjoy seeing suffering. But, make no mistake, I do NOT equate the "suffering" of animals with human suffering, as do so many of the animal rights activists who place the importance of a cat or dog's life right up there with that of a person's. To me, "suffering" implies that the entity has the realization that it IS suffering. Animals cannot reason to the extent that they can do this, humans can. Animals can feel pain, and we hate to see them linger in severe pain for any length of time. But, they cannot have a realization that they may die from whatever is causing the pain, as humans can.

If any animal on God's earth can approximate the love and empathy of humans, it is a dog. I believe with all my heart He endowed many of them with a special ability to bond with people.
4 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Imagine, when you "put the lights out" on a doe, that you are standing in the surf dipping water into a 55 gallon drum with a thimble. That's the effect killing them (on permits) have on the overall population. Difference is that you can dip water out of the ocean in the daytime.......... you have to stay up late to shoot deer during the night, then have to work 10-12 hours the next day. It sounds like fun, but it ain't.
3 members like this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Stan I feel your deer pain. For those who lease my land to hunt, they are given a quota of deer they must kill. The farmer who rents it for farming and I both got tired of the hunters waiting for the "big" buck and passing on multiple lesser bucks and taking no does at all. The smallest farm has a 20 deer quota and the largest farm has a 60 deer quota. Show me the tags for deer checked in and a photo. Most hunters have learned to thin out the does early and donate them to the food bank. But I do not care how many they take more will just move in. You still need to try.

About 20 years ago we had a deer drive that killed 53 deer in one morning on the larger farm and there were many, many more deer left that we never moved from one last section of woods. The deer eat everything they can reach in the Winter. What they can do to a row of beans would make you think the planter was stopped up, only it was not. They are so bad that the outside rows of beans and corn will be almost completely harvested by them long before the farmer gets a chance. The number of crop depredation permits that these farms have, which allow you to shoot deer anytime, is a number I will not share. People think you get joy from using them but honestly you just get sick of it. The heard would be much healthier if you just reduced their number by 50% and allowed them to build back slowly. Right now they are at or in most years over the carrying capacity of the land.

We have had hot spots of deer die off, near me, where every deer in a mile or more radius died almost all at once. Talking 50-75 deer, of all ages and conditions, all just die. And the next year the numbers were exactly the same. If the wolves would just eat deer and leave the other livestock alone I'd be happy for their help. But things never seem to work out that easy. And about the second calf I lost might get me in the mood to act poorly. Again nothing works perfectly.
3 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by ChiefAmunGum
Chief

P.S. Stanton I live fairly close, I'd take a couple deers!

Once the crops are planted we will be getting depredation permits and shooting them at night. We have to list no more than three shooters on each permit. The shooters have to work alone .... they can have no one with them to assist by driving, holding a light, etc. We, by necessity, have to use friends who live close enough to be available several nights a week, in order to be efficient.

No fun gutting and processing deer at night in the summer heat, but you're welcome to all of the dead ones you want. It's just not an easy thing to arrange. But, thanks for all the offers to help.

Originally Posted by ed good
if you are fortunate enough to have an excess of deer, then increase the competing predators in order to reduce the herd...

Are you brain dead?
3 members like this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Why stop there?

We can find enough mitochondrial DNA from the extinct Haast’s Eagle to resurrect it, using the closely related Little Eagle. Once we get a few breeding pairs, establish them in Denver, in close proximity to some homeless camp, and let the 33 pound birds go to work. They killed and ate 510 pound Moas, homeless drug addicts should be a snap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haast's_eagle

Best,
Ted
2 members like this
by eeb
eeb
Moas probably taste better
1 member likes this
by canvasback
canvasback
Originally Posted by Argo44
Follow-up related article: They've become such a problem they now have to be hunted.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/western-wolves-made-comeback-now-170152831.html

Jeez, that was a politically biased article. Read more like a press release from PETA.
1 member likes this
by mc
mc
Stan I would love to come out and help with the deer problem.
1 member likes this
by KDGJ
KDGJ
Notice, Denver is not in this area. The slim margin of votes that passed the measure doesn’t need to put up with the consequences.

Ken
1 member likes this
by ChiefAmungum
ChiefAmungum
Well sort of Ed, Introduce wolves. The only viable option to kill deer. They will indeed kill the mess out of them. Along with the much slower and more naive calves/cows that come along. Very few Moose left in the north of MN too. They are relatively slow and not that sharp, ornery though! Do a search on Moose calf depredation in MN. The DNR there would just LOVE to regulate the wolf population. So much so that Sen. Amy Klobechar (DEM) brought this to then Pres. Trump. Who Immediately delisted the Wolf. That did not last long, you do the research it's easy.

Chief

P.S. Stanton I live fairly close, I'd take a couple deers!
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.