April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Hoot4570, j7l2, Jtplumb, battle, 80dubya, Gerry Addison), 443 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, John Roberts, Ken Nelson, mc, tut
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#641481 01/29/2024 7:39 PM
by Ken Nelson
Ken Nelson
A buddy of mine wants to have his 21 Skeet wood refinished. Recommendations?
Liked Replies
#641844 Feb 5th a 11:53 PM
by SKB
SKB
Good stuff that Timberluxe wink
3 members like this
#641559 Jan 30th a 11:51 PM
by keith
keith
Ken, here's a link to an old Thread in the Amateur Gunsmithing forum that had a lively debate concerning the pros and cons of Timberluxe.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=561377&page=1

And there is also a lot of information and opinions about many other gun stock finishes. You or your buddy might want to wade through that to help make a good decision. Even the real high dollar gun stock professionals will tell you that there is no one perfect finish that is best for all guns all the time. A hunter in coastal Alaska will have different needs than a skeet shooter in New Mexico. For a true collector, the very best finish is the original finish, so the best course of action might be nothing more than a careful cleaning.
2 members like this
#641541 Jan 30th a 03:44 PM
by Bob Cash
Bob Cash
Brian Board did a clean Timberluxe finish on this early 21.
Linseed oil base.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this
#641887 Feb 6th a 03:40 PM
by Ken Nelson
Ken Nelson
Originally Posted by keith
Ken, here's a link to an old Thread in the Amateur Gunsmithing forum that had a lively debate concerning the pros and cons of Timberluxe.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=561377&page=1

And there is also a lot of information and opinions about many other gun stock finishes. You or your buddy might want to wade through that to help make a good decision. Even the real high dollar gun stock professionals will tell you that there is no one perfect finish that is best for all guns all the time. A hunter in coastal Alaska will have different needs than a skeet shooter in New Mexico. For a true collector, the very best finish is the original finish, so the best course of action might be nothing more than a careful cleaning.

John,

If it were my gun, I’d do just as you’ve indicated.
I’d tidy up the original finish and address a small transverse crack at the trigger guard screw and shoot the heck out of it. The gun isn’t collector quality, just a well used example.

Thanks,
Ken
1 member likes this
#641948 Feb 7th a 03:57 AM
by Bob Cash
Bob Cash
Originally Posted by tut
I know a few stockmakers who really like Timberluxe. Some use it to on new restocks and some use it just as a top dressing on existing stocks. Seems to work quite well. PS. A little bit goes a long way.
A most recent Timberluxe finish

And it smells like gun
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.